CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
John,

obviously not Robert, but WSBB methods are by far the most effective methods for Powerlifting. I used the WSBB methods for one month, and made the following improvements:

Weight: From 204lbs to 208lbs (I eat alot)

Squat: From 225lbs to 250lbs
Bench Press: From 225lbs to 245lbs
Deadlift: From 285lbs to 315lbs
Total: From 735lbs to 810lbs

I obviously made the biggest improvement in my Deadlift, so I don't think it their methods nees improvement, based on my experiences. I dropped powerlifting, though, because I gained too much fat and lost alot of my athleticism, so I think Oly lifts are the way to go for strength and athletic ability.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Robb,
Triple bdwt squat, solid number.
Wondering what your Dl was with all those PC.

jh
Old 08-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Robb-
Sneaking in on the tails on John's question- looking at those programs, it looks mostly like they're blending DE and ME sessions- complex training, basically. And back to the deadlift/PC, I remember Rip talking in Starting Strength about lifters who started with a PC and just piled on the poundage until they had to deadlift. Is that what the next wave is, or am I off-base?
Old 08-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
Robert Wolf

Profile:
DL was also 565 (could not lock out 580 in competition, did in practice) and a very weeny 345 bench. Looking at my training log (1991) I did work sets of 405 x 8 with an OL style BS.

WSBB is obviously very good but some of the best PL'rs in the world "just" SQ, DL, Bench. There are folks at the top of the game doing this and it falls in line with Pavels recomendations. Looks a bunch like the Bulgarian approach to the Olifts. WSBB also does well in gear friendly federations. Talking super suits and not the other gear.

When I was 181 I was FAT. If I knew then what I know now I would have either been a screaming 165 teenage lifter, or a 181 with 15lbs of more muscle.

My OL bias is simply showing through here and this is a match (OL vs PL) that has been argued out by much smarter people than I. My main point is WSBB is not the only route to PL greatness and more importantly for the Cf community:
If you can OL you, can PL(your bench may suck, but you can do SOMETHING). Being able to PL however is no guarantee you can do ANY OL'ing. There is much to be learned from that fact.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
John Velandra

Profile:
Robert,
I'll attest to the PL does not equate to OL.... Who knew my shoulder flex & ROM sucks as bad as it does. Overhead squat? Split-jerk what????

Yeah, it's humbling and exciting to get to painfully learn new things. LOL

Thanks or the insight!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #16
Andrew Nashel

Profile:
Anthony P., why wouldn't speed PC work help the deadlift?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:49 AM   #17
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Perhaps the point being overlooked is that a bunch of O-lifters got together in the 60's and held some odd-lift contests...Powerlifting was born and so was specialization in this sport. These O-lifters were darn strong; the carry-over was there then and still is today. What Powerlifting is today is not what it started as; but then again what sport is?

I understand Robb's point that just squatting and pulling will make you strong in Powerlifting - but agree with Louie that the WSBB method is a great way to bring up weaknesses and special strengths, especially in the seasoned lifter.

A CrossFit approach would perhaps blend the two.
Include more cleans, snatches, overhead squats, push jerks and push presses into the WSBB method. Taper the O-lift hybrids closer to a meet and include more of the big 3 in Powerlifting. This approach might be better for overall strength in the lifetime of an athlete.

-jh