CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 AM   #21
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Re: SS and large weight increases

#1 From the tone of your post I assume you want to get big and strong. If that is that case you need to eat.

#2 If you cant bench 95lbs for 5 and you weigh 125, I would suggest doing 20 pushups every morning and every night and working up to 50. Start slowly Don't go to failure say 4 sets of 5 slowly increase the reps and sets until you are doing one set of 50 in the morning and one set of 50 in the evening. BP should be much easier by then.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 AM   #22
Jack Germain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van De Walker View Post
#1 From the tone of your post I assume you want to get big and strong. If that is that case you need to eat.

#2 If you cant bench 95lbs for 5 and you weigh 125, I would suggest doing 20 pushups every morning and every night and working up to 50. Start slowly Don't go to failure say 4 sets of 5 slowly increase the reps and sets until you are doing one set of 50 in the morning and one set of 50 in the evening. BP should be much easier by then.
Wouldn't doing pushups every day lead to fatigue, overtraining, and all of that bad stuff? I though the reason for a M/W/F schedule was for the body to recuperate.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #23
Steven Quadros

Profile:

If you want your bench press to go up, bench press. High rep push ups will not do all that much to increase your bench press, while a high bench press will translate to more pushups, and, more importantly, more weight on the bar during the bench press, which equals more pushing strength.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #24
Jason Lin

Profile:

Somewhere in SS, Rip said that one of the benefits of bench press is that it teaches us how to strain, how to push hard against heavy weights.

You can't get that with push ups.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #25
Jack Germain

Profile:

I have a question relating to the "do pushups every day" method.

Would doing SS and the Armstrong pullup program at the same time lead to overtraining and be counterproductive? I want to increase my dead hang pullup maximum, and I know the best way to do that is to do weighted pullups, but I am not yet proficient enough with bodyweight pullups to do that.

I ask this out of curiosity, because if I can get extra strength gains in the same amount of time, I figure I should go for it. If I can't, then it doesn't hurt to ask and I'm sure I'll learn something about recovery and adaptation in the response.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 07-21-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #26
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Look up the Onus Wunsler (sp.) or Practical programming novice programs; they both include chin ups or pull ups, and will allow you to work on them within the frame of a Rippetoe approved program.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #27
Jack Germain

Profile:

The conventional way to add accessory stuff is shown here.
After one builds up the work capacity on a few weeks a vanilla SS, cautiously adding a few high quality (dips yes, calf raises no) accessory exercises is not a big deal. The goal is always, as Rippetoe says, to be making progress on the big 5 lifts, and to be doing that quickly.

Anyway, I've heard that 'greasing the groove' (or some other every day program, like the Armstrong one) is a good way to build pull up strength, and is it possible to 'grease the groove' and do SS at the same time, without interfering with the benefits of either?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

Haven't quite read the whole thread (so sorry if this has been mentioned) but maybe try not mixing 85 and 95 for the three sets. If you can do 85x3x3, try doing 85x2x3 then 95x1x3. Then when you can do that, do 85x1x3 then 95x2x3 etc. I know it's not following SS's set's across idea, but without 2.5's it seems like an easier alternative to adding assistance exercises.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:28 AM   #29
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Are you planning on running CX this fall?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #30
Jack Germain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
Are you planning on running CX this fall?
Yes, I am. Why?