CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:
Re: Training for Ultimate Frisbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Did Frisbee become a college sport while I wasn't looking?
no but it's pretty big, they have a national championship for it, but it's still considered a club sport.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Well, don't get me wrong - frisbee is a fun sport... It just never seemed like the most manly thing in the world.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

We loved Ultimate when I was in the Boat Units, great PT, better than cals run rinse repeat, we used to make the scored against team do push ups. It occasionally became more hockey-esque, in Crete my friend Mike got brained by a soccer goal and required stitches, the concrete soccer field rocked, too. Sometimes we would play with a 10lb medicine ball, which was a hellacious workout, but inevitably (really) someone fractured something.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Questions of manhood aside, there are quite a number of elite competitive teams at various universities around the US. The speed and athleticism is pretty extraordinary, if you ever get a chance to see the game played at its highest levels. Derek, you have one of the best in the country (Seattle Sockeye) just up the road from you. Sockeye is heading to the World Ultimate tourney in Vancouver, BC as the US representative.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
Jack Germain

Profile:

I played Ultimate a bit, and Ian Haya gives great advice. I'm guessing you could steal workout methods from similar sports, such as basketball, where similar qualities (agility, vertical jump, sprint speed) are required.

I would be helpful if you could give some statistics about yourself. From your post, I take it your are concerned about the "endurance, sprinting, jumping, lunging and diving involved."

How fast do you run a 40 yd dash, or some other sprint?

What is your vertical jump?

Could you give some measure of your endurance? Say, a 5k time (I don't know if this would an appropriate measure, but it's the best I can think of)?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #16
Jake Oleander

Profile:

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Haya View Post
I'll offer my opinion as a recreational Ultimate player and a recreational CrossFitter.

I think the workout seems a bit long. Although it's meant to simulate a real ultimate game, the length and volume of it will reduce this large grouping of "explosive" exercises to an endurance effort. Even if everything is done at "100%" effort, effort does not equal output. You can only do so many plyos before you're actually slowing yourself down. Also, throwing a disc is more pull than push, so doing a bunch of pushups and no pullups won't really help.

If you're following the CrossFit WODs at full intensity, then I don't think your endurance will suffer by skipping this. You should be at a better level of conditioning than your peers that aren't doing CrossFit.

As far as additional stuff that might be more worth your time that will actually improve your explosiveness (speed, jumping, diving) would be to add 5-10 min with recovery of short sprints, shuttle runs, plyos stuff before a CrossFit WOD. Stop once you feel yourself slowing down. Then rest and recover 5-10 min before you start the CrossFit WOD. Also, I'd alternate the sprints/plyos with some Oly lifting, heavy squats, and maybe work up to some weighted pistols. Oly lifts and squats will do more to increase your vert than plyos and should give you that quick "first step". Same thing with the Olys, once you lose your explosive Power, then it's time to stop.

Also, if you have access to rings, really work pullups and dips and try and work up to a muscleup. This should give you good shoulder health along with the Olys for some nice long hucks and hammers.
you must have never been to college that nonsense is every where, almost as bad as baseball or football. thank the gods the olympic games are here.

Quote:
Did Frisbee become a college sport while I wasn't looking?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #17
Servia Rindfleish

Profile:

Thanks all for the replies! I didn't realize what a great resource the boards are; I wish I had started posting so much sooner!

Jack, I can't give you specific a time for my 40 or height for my vert, but I can tell you that they're pretty good comparatively. My speed is one of my best attributes and my vert is good for someone who is 5'3".

Endurance, meanwhile, is definitely the weakest part of my game. My 5k time is pretty slow, I'd say around 24-25 minutes. And, I think it hampers me a lot on the field.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:51 AM   #18
Edward Hope

Profile:

I have a ultimate related question (specifically, though it applies to other sports). How should you deal with tournaments? You might play an hour, hour and a half, then have a break of an hour and a half, then play two games back to back (~3 hours of game play). Then the same the next day.

How can you train for that? What should you be eating to keep up your energy all day?

It seems to go against the short and intense sessions idea (although i'm aware these have a cross-over effect to endurance). And the time is long enough that you're using up your muscles store of carbs, right? So how can you balance that with a paleo/zone/balanced diet?

I find i can't eat enough during a tournament. If i have big meals i can't play well, if i dont... i crash by the end of the final game. I always end up drinking high-carb sports drinks. Is there another way?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #19
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan Lightner View Post
I had many friends in college that trained for ultimate by smoking doobies. Wait, no....that was frisbee golf.
Now that's not fair. Smoking doobies was usually alternated with cross-training sessions of hacky sack.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
Dave Parmly

Profile:

Quote:
Well, don't get me wrong - frisbee is a fun sport... It just never seemed like the most manly thing in the world.
Now there is an interesting observation. Freud would probably have field day with that one.

Watch people play it...it's no game for nancy-boys, I can tell you that.