CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Jamison Pereira

Profile:
Post Ranger School

Just finished ranger school recently and not surprisingly my body is beat to hell and out of shape. Im looking for some advice from crossfitters on their post ranger school rehab. programs or just general advice.

Rest/Recovery time? how slow should I be taking it? what are some things I can do on still sore knee and leg joints? How should I work myself back up to being able to do crossfit workouts again and then start going full bore into them? And finally nutrition... I've gorged myself for almost a week now and while I'm still way under my usual weight I don't want to get fat either.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jamison
Old 07-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Harry Stine

Profile:
Re: Post Ranger School

No personal experience, but I remember finding this thread from a while back: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...=ranger+school

No fault of yours if you couldn't find it with the search function. It was titled funny. I hope it has something useful for you.

Anyway, congratulations on what you accomplished.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

I would get a foam roller, and do lots of Active Release, lots of stretching, and low weight physical therapy type stuff for a week or two, and let the body heal.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
I would get a foam roller, and do lots of Active Release, lots of stretching, and low weight physical therapy type stuff for a week or two, and let the body heal.
Foam roller and foam roller and more foam roller, as well as what Phillip said.

Seriously though all jokes aside I tweaked something in my back a couple of months ago, not bad enough to see a doctor or stay away from the gym (just one of those oh oh that's not good things) but the weights I could lift dropped a lot and I had to do some serious rolling and high rep low weight lifting.

Now when I do lifting what I do inbetween turns and at the end of the WOD is spend some quality time on the foam roller. My back used to be tight the next day or so after DL, no surprise there its does work the back just a bit, but no longer after using my new best buddy the foam roller. Even just a few minutes at the end of the WOD does wonders.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Harry Stine

Profile:

Decided to go through the thread myself. Not much specific advice on rest/recovery (they just give the vague instructions to "scale down" and "take your time". I guess you'll just have to listen to your body. Still, here's a couple comments on nutrition that contain some pretty easy to follow instructions. Both seem to go well with the party line on this site.

"Nutritionally, I think the two most important things are getting enough protein and avoiding high glycemic index carbs. Your metabolism is in famine-mode right now and will want to store any extra calories as bodyfat. I puffed up noticeably for 4-6 weeks after Ranger despite running 15-20 miles a week (this was before discovering crossfit), and it took me another month to work all the extra fat off. Sugars and starches are only going to exacerbate the problem. That doesn't mean you can't indulge some cravings (you earned it), but try to limit it. I would also advise trying to take in at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass to promote rebuilding some muscle. Doing the zone full blown would be ideal, but may not be practical for you. Be prepared for it to take several weeks for your metabolism to readjust so you have more energy and start regaining muscle. "

"Really, a solid Paleo diet higher on the calories and protein seems perfect. Combined with more mass-building work outs. Just take your time. "
Old 07-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Actually he was given some very specific advice.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Harry Stine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
Actually he was given some very specific advice.
OK, fair enough. I spoke to soon. I didn't go through the whole thing.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Dave Parmly

Profile:

Jamison, Congratulations upon earning the Coveted Black and Gold. I know there was no internet to refer to on 11MAR83, as I lay in the BOQ at Benning alternating between sleep, wakefulness to eat to capacity, followed by sleep, repeated for about 48 solid hours. My nutrition consisted of fulfilling the long and detailed list of foods I made on scraps of paper stuck in my Ranger Handbook all through the Florida Phase.

I hooked up with some guys from my first class (I thought it seemed pretty easy through the first two phases so I volunteered to repeat the Mountains in winter just to make it interesting....) Anyway, we wiped out the Shoney's breakfast buffet every morning and gorged at the on-post Burger King every night. Tried to make it through a movie...mmmmm...dark...warm theater....zzzzzz.

It took about 6 months for me to get back to the 185 I went in weighing...I graduated at 149. We started 195 in Class 4-83 and graduated 65. 66% attrition rate...it was like Gallipoli out there. Our class picture you can actually see faces they got so tight.

Serious stuff, dude. Congratulations. I know there are tougher schools, but I can count them on one hand with fingers left over. I really respect the guys that do the mental aspects of this fitness thing, like Gym Jones with their "deep posts" and ramblings...but all that goes out the freaking window when it's 15 below on Conner Mountain and you're outbound on a 5-day walking under a 100# tick along a nasty, snow-covered ridge into a 25 mph snow blast. Going through that takes a tough the fitness guys won't understand fully. Admittedly, I won't get their zen-like fitness stuff and would die trying. Maybe that's why we respect each other even if it seems obscure to the other.

Come to Knoxville and the first round is on me, bro. Thanks for watching our collective backs. Aim low and squeeze.

Last edited by Dave Parmly : 07-07-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Jamison Pereira

Profile:

Ahh the lists...
Mine were more focused around movies to watch and places to visit once I get to the 173rd (ahh Italy). My favorite meal is the next one so I wasn't too concerned with the specifics.

I'll have to learn up on the foam roller thing, never used one before, but foam seems soft and comfortable and i'm down with that right now.

thanks for the advice everyone
Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
Dave Campbell

Profile:

I remember just wanting to eat everything and sleep constantly. I vividly recall waking up in the middle of the night and smiling myself back to sleep...knowing I could sleep as long as I wanted.

Just take it easy and enjoy your accomplishment for a few days. Your fitness will return in no time. I've always felt CF had a serious mental component to it. Now that you have your tab, you have the mental strength to tell your body to do whatever is needed.

The most important part: go back to your unit and lead the way.

**They still serve the blueberry pancakes in the mountain phase?