CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
Re: Is it possible....

I didnt read all of the reply.

But, If you are rich as hell, thus no work nor responsabilities. And have everything dialed in, RECOVERY ( which you didn't even mention ) , Nutrition, Training and Enjoyment of life/Management of stress.

I believe that in 1 year you could make tremendous progression and then, depending on your genetics, you might be able to come pretty damm close to quite an elite level.

Remember, we're talking about 100% of the time FULL dedication ( which is pretty much impossible) of 1 year of training.

In theory yes. In practice no. Simply because you will not be able to follow this kind of regimen for a FULL year without NO CHEATING NOR ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE PERFECT CONDITIONS.

but remember 100% fully strict for 1 year.

Good luck
Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Germain View Post
I'm interested in this. Do you have links to more information? How quickly did they get prepared, and was it just mostly looks and not actual strength/fiitness?
How does overtraining lead to to lost gains?
Overtraining leading to lost gains sounds like rumours, slacking off will do it for sure, be interesting to learn the truth. Speaking of truth, why don't you read what Coach Twight who trained them has to say:
http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35
WFS and also
http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=36

The most interesting part of your question to me is:
are you looking for an excuse to not go hard?
If it has previously been impossible why don't you give it a try...:stir:

Last edited by Thomas Bailly : 07-04-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #13
James Besenyei

Profile:

If you can do nothing but train for a year, you can be pretty damn close. But this seems impossible due to most individuals' familial, social, and financial constraints.

Even if you have no social, financial, or familial concerns, don't forget that genetics, motivation, nutrition, etc., will play a huge role too. Athletes pay a steep price to be as good as they are. Many of CF's greatest athletes have super strict diets, have an athletic background, have access to a top notch affiliate, and have been at it much longer than a year.

If you think you have the time, money, and motivation then go for it, keep a strict log, join your local affiliate, and show up at the CF Games next year and dominate. You will be a hero. Go for it if you can.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
Robert Olajos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Freeman View Post
Examine your motivation... Do you want to be "elite" for status? Is it a competative streak? Why are you motivated for a title, or is it something deepr? I'm not busing anyones chops, just saying (and I hate to sound like a hippy) that perhaps the best person to compete against is who you were yesterday.
Compete against yourself for a good year, then you'll have your answer.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
Jack Germain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Bailly View Post
Overtraining leading to lost gains sounds like rumours, slacking off will do it for sure, be interesting to learn the truth. Speaking of truth, why don't you read what Coach Twight who trained them has to say:
WFS and also

Thanks for the information.

I'm not looking for any excuses. I just want to keep myself healthy.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Donald Lee

Profile:

I think it depends on how strong you are already. Strength takes a long time to gain. If you're already pretty strong, one could gain a lot in metcon in a year.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #17
Jason David

Profile:

Not possible.
Resume post in 1 year to prove me wrong...
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #18
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I think Donald nailed it. Notice that a lot of the best CF'ers already had high work capacities when they got into it.

Josh Everett was big, strong and powerful athlete... monster very quickly when he started CF'ing.

Gymnasts, wrestlers (I think I read somewhere that Speal was a wrestler) etc. all have tremendous power, functional strength and in turn work capacity (a lot of the old school books you'll find for strength and conditoning of wrestlers and football players look a lot like CF)... a golfer, while very skilled (I suck, but LOVE the game) is probably not gonna come in and start crushing WOD's.

So the answer... it depends. Some may jump in and dominate in 3-12 months... others may need to work and work, dial in the nutrition etc. for a few years.

Not to mention genetics.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #19
Gavin Steel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Bailly View Post
WFS and also

Overtraining is certainly not a myth or rumour and is a very serious problem in the bodybuilding world. As an ex bodybyuilder overtraining was something you had to keep a very close eye on. This does in fact eat into your gains to the point that you will be going backwards. The body needs sufficient time to recover to allow the muscles to develop....why do you think bodybuilders don't benchpress every day????? By not allowing sufficient recovery the body starts to be broken down for fuel, and it burns gained muscle instead of utilising carbs for the fuel. Classic signs of this are fatigue, loss of appetite, lack of strenght, muscle loss, insomnia and depression.....

There is an old eastern bloc training routine called over reaching which stops just short of overtraining and is used by bodybuilders as an intense routine before a long period of rest or where they are unable to train for say a couple of weeks.

There is a whole article on this subject in the April 2004 issue of muscle and fitness mag.

Don't automatically dismiss things as rumour and conjecture or an excuse not to go hard....Do your research!!!!!:stir:

Now that that's off my chest, onto the original question......There are lots of factors to take into account.

Your genetic make up, some people gain muscle/fitness far faster than others do, no matter how hard you train...

Your diet, very crucial...put rubbish in get rubbish out...

Recovery...as mentioned above in my rant!!!!

The intensity of your training...I find I work harder as part of a group as you have others to compete against and are more motivated. Saving face is another way of putting it.

Using a coach...If you have someone to push you on and ensure you are not slacking you will be working nearer to your full potential.

Mastering the inner opponent, very good section on this in Geoff Thomson's book "animal day"....basically its about beating your inner voice,the one that tells you to stop cause your knackered, or tries to tell you that you cant perform a lift before you've even layed a finger on the bar(we've all heard it at some point)....Positive mind set!!!!

One year is a bit of a short time scale no matter who you are.....Go at it full tilt...eat right and always tell yourself you can do it, not much more you can do really
Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #20
Kirksman Teo

Profile:

I'm about 110% sure it's not possible to be on the elite level. It's not the body that'll be the hindrance, it's your mind. I cannot possibly think of a way, you can look forward to the next workout after a few months of doing it.

I do Oly but after 2 months,even the simple CNJ and work up to 1RM and then do 6 singles and some strength work becomes an incredibly tedious task. And crossfitting is a lot of reps. You're just going to get bored and your mind won't perform at it's highest level. When the mind breaks, the body breaks.

And what happens next? When the body breaks, it's say bye bye to progression.