CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
Scott Robertson

Profile:
Is it possible....

Is it possible or likely for an average Joe Crossfiter to reach the level of fitness of the greats like OPT, Dutch, Speal, etc... in 1 year.

Assuming that the individual trains very diligently for the entire year with the WODs plus any additional workouts mixed in (i.e. starting strength, or speed work, etc...).

And, that the individual follows a strict diet such as the zone, or mixed with Paelo or with additional fat blocks, etc...

By average Joe Crossfiter I mean someone of average size (5' 8" to 6'), average weight (150 lbs to 200 lbs), average body composition (10 to 15% body fat) and not blessed with any unatural athletic ability in terms of speed, raw strength, or endurance.

One year of diligent training with dialed in nutrition to be able to compete with the best. Is it possible?

Or, are the best blessed with super athletic ability, or years of training in there sport which have got them this far and Crossfit is only the icing on the cake to make them that much better rather than the the sole factor in the athletes development. Stated another way, can somebody be as good as these guys by just doing Crossfit type training and not coming in to Crossfit already being elite athletes.

There we go, lots of stuff to discuss.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Re: Is it possible....

Pretty sure this has been beaten to death, but in a word, no.

Most of the top guys have at least an athletic background, if not true superstardom in their respective sport. A lot can be accomplished in a year, but to think it's long enough to reach elite CF performance levels is probably a bit optimistic. They could probably be at/near the top of their local CF affiliate, though (depending on the affiliate of course).

But that's not to say it isn't worth a shot, right?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

One year is a very short time to go from average to elite. Perhaps if this person was a "full-time Crossfitter" with no responsibilities, it may be possible to make huge gains, although I'm don't think they would be able to make elite status.
I'm guessing if a person could handle 2-3 WODs a day (or 1 WOD with 2-3 supplemental development sessions) with perfect nutrition and unlimited time to sleep, he/she could come close. The person would have to be extremely disciplined and motivated to push hard for every session.

But honestly, I think this scenario is too extreme. Everyone needs to work or go to school and will never be able to dedicate 100% of their time and energy to CF unless they were a professional athlete. And right now I don't see any professional CF'ers...

Age makes a big difference too. Young athletes recover much faster and so soreness and injury does not play as big of a role as it would in a more mature athlete.

My $0.02.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

The 300 movie crew got pretty darn far pretty quick. Though it should be noted that they were "full-time CrossFitters" Shane spoke of, and when they had finished the movie, they were all so overtrained, they quit and lost their gains.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Nope. Not in one year. Try something more like five.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Jack Germain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
The 300 movie crew got pretty darn far pretty quick. Though it should be noted that they were "full-time CrossFitters" Shane spoke of, and when they had finished the movie, they were all so overtrained, they quit and lost their gains.
I'm interested in this. Do you have links to more information? How quickly did they get prepared, and was it just mostly looks and not actual strength/fiitness?
How does overtraining lead to to lost gains?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:

My understanding of it is that they did workouts very similar to CF, naturally obtaining the looks along with the function.

As for overtraining, think of training like a sparring match. Getting knocked on your rear a few times allows you to recover easily and improve while getting pummeled to the point that your face is embedded into the floor does not result in progress - you just get hurt. The other possibility is that you just won't like feeling run down and miserable and just ditch the whole thing (which is what Patrick was referring to).

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...-you-handle-it wfs if you want a little more. Probably some stuff in there that'll grate on many Crossfitters' nerves, so be warned.

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 07-04-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Jack Germain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
My understanding of it is that they did workouts very similar to CF, naturally obtaining the looks along with the function.

As for overtraining, think of training like a sparring match. Getting knocked on your rear a few times allows you to recover easily and improve while getting pummeled to the point that your face is embedded into the floor does not result in progress - you just get hurt. The other possibility is that you just won't like feeling run down and miserable and just ditch the whole thing (which is what Patrick was referring to).
Thanks. I interpreted that as they overtrained in a way that made them quickly lose results when they stopped, and I had never heard of that concept before. Thanks for that clarification.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Even with all that training, the 300 actors weren't especially outstanding by CF standards. I remember reading somewhere that the best actor was in the 16-17 minute range for the '300' workout, and I know many CF'ers myself included who can destroy that time.

I don't know where they came from, but I guess a month and a half will make you decent but certainly not elite even if it is your full-time job. Like Derek said, probably more like a few years.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
Keith Freeman

Profile:

Examine your motivation... Do you want to be "elite" for status? Is it a competative streak? Why are you motivated for a title, or is it something deepr? I'm not busing anyones chops, just saying (and I hate to sound like a hippy) that perhaps the best person to compete against is who you were yesterday.