CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-02-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: SS and large weight increases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
If you are running WODs from CF endurance, not sleeping enough and "confident" you're getting enough calories... then recovery is probably the issue.

Drink the milk... cheapest 4k calories you can get.
I think he's probably calorie deficient... all skinny kids "eat a ton" which is really... not that much (myself included in that). Also, 1 gallon of whole milk is ~2300 Calories a day, 128 g of protein, lots of fat, etc. Drink your milk, you'll get bigger and stronger very very quickly.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
Jose Michael Robledo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lin View Post
Agreed. 25 reps @ 85 is not the same as 15 reps @ 100.
True, but it is closer to 95# x 3
Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
Jose Michael Robledo

Profile:

I emant 95# x 5 , oops.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #14
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Why not? Go buy a couple of 2.5 pound plates and bring them with you in your gym bag or backpack. And go pick up 6 2" washers from Fastenal so you can move up in 2.5# and 1.25# increments.
Quoted in case Jack missed it. Anybody can carry in 5 pounds of loose weights into a gym. Small bumps are going to be drastically better than trying to sub weighted dips, AND will be safer IMO. DB bench just won't make you grow like BB bench - and then you're still facing large poundage increases when you move up the weight.

Hell, tie your shoes to the bar. Use a couple of your school's weight belts. Anything will work.

The one thing that nobody has mentioned is this - FOCUS ON YOUR SQUAT. If you feel weak, squat more. Don't focus on bench too much! If you can get your squat up, everything else will follow.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #15
Leslie Powell

Profile:

In a worst case scenario, adding 5lbs. to just one side isn't going to cause the end of the world. Probably (i.e. almost definitely) not Starting Strength approved, but it won't be unmanageably unstable and might get you over the bump. Just switch the side you put the plate on between sets/workouts. In life, everything isn't perfectly balanced. Make sure you have a spotter.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
Jason Lin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
The one thing that nobody has mentioned is this - FOCUS ON YOUR SQUAT. If you feel weak, squat more. Don't focus on bench too much! If you can get your squat up, everything else will follow.
Jacob, I never heard that before or thought of it that way but that makes A LOT of sense!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Why not? Go buy a couple of 2.5 pound plates and bring them with you in your gym bag or backpack. And go pick up 6 2" washers from Fastenal so you can move up in 2.5# and 1.25# increments.
I second this, just go buy the weights. 2 2.5lb weights is like 5 bucks maybe and a couple 1.25 is going to be like 2 bucks. So for less then 10 dollars you could solve your problems I think it would be worth it

-Robert
Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #18
David O'Brien

Profile:

Hey Jack.

I think you've got some great advice from the folks on here.

How much weight have you gained since starting SS?

When I was in high school, I worked out like mad, but never ate enough to see the gains I should have.

If you really trust the program - doing the heavy lifts with the constant linear progression of weight, you will get stronger. The idea of getting the set of washers is great since you can increase your weight each time you workout.

In addition to getting stronger, there is a lot you can do to get better at the bench press itself. The book will show you a lot of ways to effectively make the exercise easier by moving the bar in the shortest and most efficient path. I found that focusing on tucking my shoulder blades against the bench and tightening my core and contact to the ground makes the pressing feel more solid.

You may also want to give yourself more time between sets. I sometimes altermate in pullups so I can have 4 minutes between sets of bench press.

Stick with it. I know it's frustrating when everyone in the gym looks stronger than you. I've seen great results with SS as a 32-year-old getting back into weights. I wish I would have had the book back in 1991 (and would have ate twice as much)...
Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
Jack Germain

Profile:

I've gained almost 5 pounds in a month. Is this too little? If you want to be exact, I was at 122 and now hover around 127, sometimes more or less depending on the day.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #20
Tom Chase

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Germain View Post
I've gained almost 5 pounds in a month. Is this too little? If you want to be exact, I was at 122 and now hover around 127, sometimes more or less depending on the day.
You definitely need to eat more and just go buy the 2.5 weights. They only cost about 80 cents per lb.