CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #21
Ian Haya

Profile:
Re: Pull-ups in daily life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
This thread can now be closed. Its just been determined that curls are the MOST FUCTIONAL exercise EVER!

I know this is just a joke (I was actually going to make the 12oz curl joke too), but then I actually thought about it. When I take a drink (of anything), there is very little curling action going on. For the most part, the angle between upper arm and forearm doesn't actually change that much. You'll primarily use a lot of shoulder rotation. So unless you've got a feeding tube on your shoulder, you'll have to do more than just curl it to increase your range of motion and get that tasty sweet nectar to your mouth.

...yes, it is Friday afternoon.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #22
Victor Putz

Profile:

Actually, I remember getting into a bit of a debate about this a while ago too, when I made the claim that pressing things overhead really isn't that functional in everyday life. The CF definition of functional has more to do with, if you will, Venn diagrams of muscle use patterns in lots of different athletic activities overlaid; the part with the highest overlap is "functional".

Now, which parts of that overlap include pulling motions (or for that matter curls or overhead pressing!) are left to the imagination. But I did want to bring up that "functional" here really doesn't mean "of use in normal everyday life" unless your normal every day is a lot more exciting than mine.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #23
Dave Parmly

Profile:

Curls, esp. on a curl bench, are an isolation movement, serving the purpose of building mass and appearance. You would NEVER be called upon to perform an isolated movement using JUST the bicep such as that in real life. "Carrying something" rarely uses the bicep in isolation. It is the MOVEMENT that marks it as impractical/non-functional because of it's isolation.

Pullups are Compound movements, hence more functional. They develop an entire chain of muscles that are used in daily functional activities as simple as standing because they support the core upon which our body systems rest.

IMHAWIO!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #24
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth Shah View Post
I'm asking simply because having a convo with a friend who claims that bicep curls are functional. In fact, he hates the word "fucntional." So I posed him a question: where do you use bicep curls in your daily life? After a long explanation, he posed the question back to me. Just trying to figure out how to rebuttal.
Any exercise can be "functional" it all depends on what movement needs the person in question has.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #25
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

functional movements reap rewards because our body's our designed to do them, so you can maximize your results based on your own biology.

But I love it when people are like "when do I use this in my daily life?" - unless you work construction or are in the military, many of sit at desks like dolts, pecking at a keyboard. It's not a question of everyday use=reason to do it. Its more of a question of what will give you gains based on your biology.

God expected the cavemen to be pulling themselves over rocks, deadlifting, throwing. But isolating a muscle hardly seems functional to me.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
Any exercise can be "functional" it all depends on what movement needs the person in question has.
Very true. Curling is a very functional thing to do if you are training for a curling competition (not a joke, I have heard of competitions for max reps with 50kg/110lbs). Anything that helps you get better at what you are trying to do could be deemed functional.

On another note, there is nothing wrong with throwing in some curls(or anything for that matter) once in a while. Your body won't all of a sudden become a useless non-functional waste of organic matter.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #27
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

biceps curl is a useless exercise.

pullup is a conpound movement that will make your biceps, back, and some shoulder part strong.

why waste time doing curl, its just stupid.

tell him to flex his arm in front a mirror
Old 06-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #28
Ben Chapman

Profile:

I never get into altercations with people like this without first knowing WHY somone works out. Most of the people I am around day in and day out are interested most in making themselves LOOK buff... the numbers are much much lower for people who want to workout to PERFORM better. If you aren't interested in performing better and just want bigger "guns" then maybe bicep curls are you for you. I used to do them, and they do work for mass. The caveat is that to gain mass anywhere, you have to work intensely, and there are lots of people afraid to do that, either functionally or asthetically.

When I tell folks about crossfit, I have to be careful to tell them that it is conditioning for performance, function and real fitness, not simply a means to and end: mass.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #29
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Hehe... how 'bout the old quote "You can't do what we do at all, we can do what you do almost as well and we can do what neither of us do better than you can."

Assuming he's a similar size guy: challenge him to a bicep curl contest... your pullups will probably mean you do about the same as him. Then challenge him to a pullup contest... you'll kick his ***!

End of argument
Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #30
Harry Stine

Profile:

This is probably way out of left field, but I have to say it.

To claim that biscep curls are more functional than pullups strikes me as claiming that biscep movements are somehow being hampered by the inclusion of the back. Being at a complete loss trying to find any significantly challenging life activity that involves bisceps without the back I'm a bit mystified how someone could argue that it is best not to include the back.

On an unrelated note, his claiming that pullups aren't useful for climbing trees and that sort of thing has me thinking back to the time I was 5 years old and couldn't do even 1 pullup. I was unable to climb any tree that had branches more than 4 feet off the ground. If I could get my feet up on a branch, getting into the tree was like getting to the moon.