CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
Harry Stine

Profile:
crossfit and strength

I'm wondering what kind of strength increases you can get from crossfit. I like the idea of crossfit, because I have a broad, almost "wish list like", range of goals, but right now I realize I'm most lagging in strength. I haven't really done any real strength training in a couple of years (except a lot of pushups, pullups and that sort of thing). I'm probably just slightly over or slightly below a 700 CFT.

So, my question is, in any of your experiences, what kind of strength increases did you get starting out, especially those who hadn't had much strenght training before hand?
Old 05-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: crossfit and strength

If you want strength do something like Starting Strength or a linearized intermediate program.

CF will help you make some strength gains, but not as fast as a pure strength program designed for increasing your lift numbers.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
Harry Stine

Profile:

I thank you for that, however, the difficulty is more deciding what are reasonable goals to reach for rather than what is the best way of reaching goals I already have in place. I can draw up a laundry list of everything I would LIKE to achieve, but I know it isn't all achievable. What I'm trying to figure out is what I can reasonably expect from something, and at what price.

As far as starting strength goes, however, would it be feasible to keep working on endurance related stuff while doing it, not necessarily to improve but to maintain. Suppose I want to add about 70 to my CFT, but still want to hang onto an 11:38 2 mile at the same time. Would that be the least bit reasonable?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Seach for 'max effort black box' routines. Either that or go download the original article from Performance Menu journal.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
Harry Stine

Profile:

Thanks, that seems to be a good middle ground for what I'm after. I'll give it a shot if I can't figure anything elsed out.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Stine View Post
I thank you for that, however, the difficulty is more deciding what are reasonable goals to reach for rather than what is the best way of reaching goals I already have in place. I can draw up a laundry list of everything I would LIKE to achieve, but I know it isn't all achievable. What I'm trying to figure out is what I can reasonably expect from something, and at what price.

As far as starting strength goes, however, would it be feasible to keep working on endurance related stuff while doing it, not necessarily to improve but to maintain. Suppose I want to add about 70 to my CFT, but still want to hang onto an 11:38 2 mile at the same time. Would that be the least bit reasonable?
Steven's advice is good as always...

I've added significant strength to many lifts though exclusively crossfit, and I was already fairly strong relative to bodyweight. The biggest strength gains occured in my legs. At the same time, my running has improved.

In 6 months, Crossfit has broght me from BW of 140 to 132. CFT has increased from the upper 500's to 662.5 (BS 250, DL 295, SP 117.5), while my mile time has dropped from 7:15ish to 6:02 (with the latter being tested at a 1000' higher elevation to boot). That's without deviating from the program at all. Only recently have I started to hit a strength plateau and gone to an MEBB plan.

Basically, unless you're an intermediate lifter, which you say you're not, I'd say you'll add 70 to your CFT without having to do starting strength or an MEBB plan just yet. If anything, you might need to supplement some sprints here and there to hold on to that 11:38 2-mile... you'll find that's quite a bit faster than the vast majority of CF'ers. A quick look at the comments from the last 5K shows an average of maybe 25 minutes, with maybe 10% hitting sub-22 and only a handful of sub-20.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

I added 70 lbs. to my CFT in 4 months doing just Crossfit, and I was already a decent lifter (let's call it intermediate beginner) so that's not a crazy goal. Depends on how much muscle you have already, how you're eating, etc. as well. I've been cutting fat this whole time so if you're eating at maintenance or above you should be able to put some strength on without too much of a hassle. YMMV, though.