CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #11
Harry Stine

Profile:
Re: Anyone familiar with "Muscle Gaining Secrets" by Jason Ferruggia

That was the BitTorrent website, by the way. They're kind enough to allow us to go to the ad given by the OP if we want.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
That pretty much sums it up!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
Mike Hannan

Profile:

I purchased this book, and have gotten enormous value out of it. (And if you don't, there's a money-back guarantee.) After 2 yrs of serious lifting, and great improvements in diet, I hadn't gained more than ~10 lbs of muscle--I've always been a classic hardgainer. Now, after 4 mos using the many sensible, no-b.s. suggestions in this book, I've put on another 10 lbs of muscle already, and have busted through all previous plateaus by 30% or more. Best of all, I feel like I'm just getting started...continuing to establish new PRs at least once/week.

It takes a lot more than hard work and good diet for many of us to achieve the physique and level of strength we're after. There are so many pieces of conventional wisdom that are sub-optimal or downright counterproductive, that sometimes it really does help to take advice from those who have tried it all--on themselves and on hundreds of clients--and distilled out what they have seen work best.

One item to note: while this book does adhere to much of CrossFit's creed of total health & fitness, the focus is most definitely on building strength & size. So while cardiovascular health is included, it's only as a means to avoid getting fat while building muscle. Similarly, the book is big on flexibility & stretching, but only to the extent it may help build muscle. (Full disclosure--I have no financial interest in the book, nor do I know Ferruggia personally...just a happy customer.)
Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #14
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Okay, whats the program, give us a description. You've told us about the results but not what you did to get them.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
Mike Hannan

Profile:

Sure--here are just some of what I learned from the Ferruggia book that drove results:

Focused on fewer, heavier reps & sets, with a lot more focus on recovery: 2 sets per exercise, 5-8 reps per set, no more than 12 sets per training session, in no more than 45 min (not including warmup), and only one exercise per major muscle group (i.e., don't do decline bench and incline bench in the same session). Also, no more than 3 sessions per week, and take every 9th week off completely. Last, for exercises that tax the CNS significantly (e.g., deadlifts), do them on alternating training sessions, to allow for better recovery. This volume is a lot lower than I had been doing, and so far, much more effective at building mass, which is currently my primary goal.

There are a lot more tips on diet, sleep, high-intensity cardio, training partners, workout music, and what to change as one becomes more advanced, that I'm sure are also helping.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hannan View Post
Sure--here are just some of what I learned from the Ferruggia book that drove results:

Focused on fewer, heavier reps & sets, with a lot more focus on recovery: 2 sets per exercise, 5-8 reps per set, no more than 12 sets per training session, in no more than 45 min (not including warmup), and only one exercise per major muscle group (i.e., don't do decline bench and incline bench in the same session). Also, no more than 3 sessions per week, and take every 9th week off completely. Last, for exercises that tax the CNS significantly (e.g., deadlifts), do them on alternating training sessions, to allow for better recovery. This volume is a lot lower than I had been doing, and so far, much more effective at building mass, which is currently my primary goal.

There are a lot more tips on diet, sleep, high-intensity cardio, training partners, workout music, and what to change as one becomes more advanced, that I'm sure are also helping.
Hmmm, well, you can learn almost anything on the internet including that there.

Not that I don't advocate buying books or anything. I don't know I'm kinda torn on the subject because you don't necessarily need books to learn (cause of the internet) although a lot are very useful such as SS/PP and others. It's nice to have everything in one concise place though, but it has to be a good one. It's good that you got something out of it though although I'd be wary of something that just explains a program rather than concepts behind it (well, not saying that it doesn't but I don't have any indication that it did).

Heh, if you wanted mass you shoulda just done SS and drank the gallon of milk.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #17
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
These kind of these sites remind me of Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning, the biggest succubus of my money that I have ever experienced, including titanium bike frames. Steven's dead on.
Hey now, Matt Furey is (indirectly) the reason I found out about Crossfit. I was following his stuff for a few months and someone on his message boards said I should check out Crossfit. And now I'm here. And not there.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #18
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Jason Ferruggia is a knowledgeable and respected guy, and if the positive review on that site from Alwyn Cosgrove was real, then this is probably a solid program. I would be surprised if it didn't focus on Steve Low's 3 points, lifting heavy, eating well and intense training.

That all being said, your average crossfitter is the target audience for that book(obviously). We've already found the program that we think works. But your average Men's Health subscriber could (probably) gain a lot from it.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #19
Clay Jones

Profile:

Re: Anyone familiar with SPAM

Hate to say it, but two brand new people on the board, and the first thing they do is post up about this amazing new training program?

This would appear to be a Textbook example of SPAM.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #20
Isaia Souza

Profile:
Re: Anyone familiar with SPAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Jones View Post
Hate to say it, but two brand new people on the board, and the first thing they do is post up about this amazing new training program?

This would appear to be a Textbook example of SPAM.
That was exactly what I was thinking... I was surprised no one else noticed it =\