CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #231
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Assuming all things else are good (diet, sleep, etc) Can I expect legitimate strength gains doing GSLP 3 days a week, running one (maybe two) days a week and doing three WODs (usually short, strength based and not cardio/metcon)?
The answer depends on your relative level of strength development. In your case I would say likely yes.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #232
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hughes View Post
If you could only do 1 workout what would it be??

Cheers
Matt Hughes
http://www.simplyfitnesspt.com
Do you mean train once per week?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #233
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Just an FYI the skinny bastard template is not Westside. DeFranco is not Westside.

If you want to do Westside, do the actual template for maximum benefit.
ah dang, glad i asked! thank you for your help
Old 10-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #234
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Chris,

I just completed your 1 month bench program. I am shameful to admit that I am a 180lb man that had never bench pressed 225lbs in my life, until today. My 2x2 work sets were for 220. After the first set I was feeling pretty good so I decided to go for 225 on the second set and made my reps, no problem. The last time I tried 225 (about 4 months ago), I managed to injure my shoulder; which took a month to recover from.

Next week I'll test 225 max reps and see what happens. I'm sure I can hit at least 3 if I'm fresh.

I owe you one.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #235
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
Chris,

I just completed your 1 month bench program. I am shameful to admit that I am a 180lb man that had never bench pressed 225lbs in my life, until today. My 2x2 work sets were for 220. After the first set I was feeling pretty good so I decided to go for 225 on the second set and made my reps, no problem. The last time I tried 225 (about 4 months ago), I managed to injure my shoulder; which took a month to recover from.

Next week I'll test 225 max reps and see what happens. I'm sure I can hit at least 3 if I'm fresh.

I owe you one.
Thanks Nick . The program was totally of my own design and it is quite effective for everyone from beginners to very advanced athletes.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #236
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Most effective thing you've seen for groin/adductor rehab?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #237
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
Most effective thing you've seen for groin/adductor rehab?
Well, foam rolling is an excellent choice.

With respect to training, I would treat a strain there as I would treat a strain or tear anywhere. Find a way to exercise the region with VERY light loads to start and very high reps (with slow and controlled form). The idea being to put it through a ROM and get blood into the area. To work the musculature in the area without loading it to any significant extent. Do that at least 3 times per week until you feel you are starting to improve and then gradually begin reducing the reps. Once you get to a point you feel you can handle a compound movement such as the squat again, start it in much the same way. Use light loads and higher reps to start. As you feel better increase the load and decrease the reps.

Be patient, but realize you have to push the injury to force adaptation while not making it worse. It is truly a fine line.

FYI, I have use this method to rehab a torn pectorials, glute, quadriceps, and triceps. It works.

Last edited by Chris Mason : 10-13-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #238
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Well, foam rolling is an excellent choice.

With respect to training, I would treat a strain there as I would treat a strain or tear anywhere. Find a way to exercise the region with VERY light loads to start and very high reps (with slow and controlled form). The idea being to put it through a ROM and get blood into the area. To work the musculature in the area without loading it to any significant extent. Do that at least 3 times per week until you feel you are starting to improve and then gradually begin reducing the reps. Once you get to a point you feel you can handle a compound movement such as the squat again, start it in much the same way. Use light loads and higher reps to start. As you feel better increase the load and decrease the reps.

Be patient, but realize you have to push the injury to force adaptation while not making it worse. It is truly a fine line.

FYI, I have use this method to rehab a torn pectorials, glute, quadriceps, and triceps. It works.
Got it. So the Starr rehab method would be a good idea? (WFS http://****************.wikia.com/wi...r_Muscle_Pulls) By the way your presence/posts on the boards here is probably the only thing that keeps me coming back. Thank you so much.

Edit: the asterisks are $tarting$trength but with s's
Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #239
Chris Mason

Profile:

I'm not sure on that method and the link doesn't work (I replaced the words and get a page not found error).

Thanks on the compliment. That is very kind of you.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #240
Caine Peters

Profile:

Chris, what is YOUR no1 question?? Surely there is something you are always pondering about that you cant find an answer to?