CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Sampson J Havelka

Profile:
Strength Gains With Creatine

I am 23 years old 5'9" 175 lbs and about 9-11% bodyfat. Squat 295; Deadlift 385; Clean 225. About a year and a half ago I tipped the scale at 235 lbs. Thanks to CrossFit and Paleo, my life has changed. I have been doing crossfit about 4-5 times a week for a while now, and i was doing a 16 block zone meal plan for the last month or so to try and get my weight down to what it is now. I was miserably hungry all month, and it sucked

Now I am looking to do something like Chris Mason's "integrating Westside barbell into CrossFit" to get my strength numbers up but also lean out. Crossfit 3x per week and westside training 2x per week. I am thinking upping my zone to 18-20 blocks (pretty strictly paleo) and adding in a creatine supplement in there.

Can anyone steer me into the right direction on my meals and how much creatine to take and when to take it? Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Randy Hill

Profile:
Re: Strength Gains With Creatine

Creatine is relatively safe to take and one of the more studied supplements out there. I'd take 10g per day immediately after training with some simple sugars. Basically the idea with creatine is that you may be able to pump out an extra rep with it's effects, thereby making you stronger over time.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson J Havelka View Post
I am 23 years old 5'9" 175 lbs and about 9-11% bodyfat. Squat 295; Deadlift 385; Clean 225. About a year and a half ago I tipped the scale at 235 lbs. Thanks to CrossFit and Paleo, my life has changed. I have been doing crossfit about 4-5 times a week for a while now, and i was doing a 16 block zone meal plan for the last month or so to try and get my weight down to what it is now. I was miserably hungry all month, and it sucked

Now I am looking to do something like Chris Mason's "integrating Westside barbell into CrossFit" to get my strength numbers up but also lean out. Crossfit 3x per week and westside training 2x per week. I am thinking upping my zone to 18-20 blocks (pretty strictly paleo) and adding in a creatine supplement in there.

Can anyone steer me into the right direction on my meals and how much creatine to take and when to take it? Thanks
If you are 9-11% body fat, why are you trying to lean out any more? Also, leaning out and gaining strength are kind of hard to do at the same time. You should either go on a cut, or gain some strength.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
Creatine is relatively safe to take and one of the more studied supplements out there. I'd take 10g per day immediately after training with some simple sugars. Basically the idea with creatine is that you may be able to pump out an extra rep with it's effects, thereby making you stronger over time.
Are you suggesting that he take the creatine with simple sugars post-workout along the ideas of "shuttling" the creatine into muscle cells more efficiently? Or because of post-workout glycogen depletion issues?

The theory of simple sugars with creatine to "shuttle" it into the cell is OLD SCHOOL, and not really used any more. It was pretty anecdotal. Especially since micronized creatine came out.

I agree with Paulo on the BF%. There's plenty of powerlifters and some actual studies that correlate BF% needing to be higher to maintain strength. Powerlifting gut!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Sampson J Havelka

Profile:

Should I be consuming more on my strength days than my crossfit days? I just assume that the work with crossfit and a strict diet will keep me pretty lean anyway.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson J Havelka View Post
Should I be consuming more on my strength days than my crossfit days? I just assume that the work with crossfit and a strict diet will keep me pretty lean anyway.
I haven't take creatine in a long time, but when I did I saw fantastic results with my lifts. I would take 5g immediately after a workout, or, on off-days I would take the same amount first thing in the morning before breakfast.

That's just how I did it. The poster up there that recommended 10g might be right. I don't know. It seems like I read somewhere that the body can only absorb 5g at a time.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

All you really need is 5g a day, every day. Timing doesn't really matter from what I understand. The stuff about needing to do a loading period or cycle intake is a myth from the companies that want to sell you more of it.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
All you really need is 5g a day, every day. Timing doesn't really matter from what I understand. The stuff about needing to do a loading period or cycle intake is a myth from the companies that want to sell you more of it.
100% true
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Richard Deyan

Profile:

I don't really think it was a myth to get you to consume more of the product. There was basically one study put out a few years ago that made most bodybuilders switch to spot 5g a day without any kind of loading phase. It proved that peak saturation levels were achieved without the loading phases of old (10-20+ grams a day for 2 weeks). I think a separate one also showed that you also didn't have to take the creatine every single day, missing two days didn't drop saturation levels enough to warrant its use every day. Im sure you can find the studies if you want. But the bodybuilding community is huge on calling BS, they wouldn't have been taking those amounts if they didn't think at the time it was the best way to do it. And creatine mono back then was still pretty cheap, if companies wanted to be really greedy they could've easily charged more for the CM and provided less in a tub.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Randy Hill

Profile:

Dude, honestly with how cheap creatine is, it probably doesn't make a world of difference if you take 5 or 10 grams per day.