CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Randy Hill

Profile:
Overhead Squat / Snatch Recovery Issue

My max snatch is 185#, and I can overhead squat 225# from a rack for 2 reps, however very shaky and always almost lose it at the bottom. I can clean and jerk 285#, and in the snatch can get 225# over my head, however even at light weights (sometimes even 115) I lose it at the bottom.

I think I am turning to jello in the bottom of the movement and dumping the bar forward due to hamstring immobility. I'd appreciate if anyone could watch these videos and maybe see some glaring issues that I don't. These were done with 135# so I hope the weight isn't too light to where I am muscling through my problems.

I am 6'4, 225lb and have an awkward femur to torso length ratio. Sitting next to someone who is 5'7" we are the same height, it's all in my legs. This may affect my positioning. That bar REALLY wants to come forward, but it's light enough that I can keep it back. If you watch closely in the third video, I think this is apparent.

all links wfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyN5lMd-FiM&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJRusAnA04&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJPpD_1Dx0&feature=plcp

Last edited by Randy Hill : 08-24-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Tyler Goerlitz

Profile:
Re: Overhead Squat / Snatch Recovery Issue

The thing that looks off to me is that you let your chest go really low, like you are bending at the waist to much. I noticed it around second 28 on the third video. When you lose it, do you lose it forward?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Randy Hill

Profile:

Yes, I lose it forward. I was focusing on pushing my knees to the sides, think maybe I should visualize a front squat, let the knees come forward as such. This may fix that forward lean? My shoulders are more than flexible.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Tyler Goerlitz

Profile:

I'm thinking core strength to hold yourself up, on the way down you look fine its once you get to the bottom and come back up. The position of the weight looks good to me so I think your shoulders are ok just keep that core super tight.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Donald Joseph McCauley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
My max snatch is 185#, and I can overhead squat 225# from a rack for 2 reps, however very shaky and always almost lose it at the bottom. I can clean and jerk 285#, and in the snatch can get 225# over my head, however even at light weights (sometimes even 115) I lose it at the bottom.

I think I am turning to jello in the bottom of the movement and dumping the bar forward due to hamstring immobility. I'd appreciate if anyone could watch these videos and maybe see some glaring issues that I don't. These were done with 135# so I hope the weight isn't too light to where I am muscling through my problems.

I am 6'4, 225lb and have an awkward femur to torso length ratio. Sitting next to someone who is 5'7" we are the same height, it's all in my legs. This may affect my positioning. That bar REALLY wants to come forward, but it's light enough that I can keep it back. If you watch closely in the third video, I think this is apparent.

all links wfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyN5lMd-FiM&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJRusAnA04&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJPpD_1Dx0&feature=plcp
Randy,

Two possible things that I notice.
1) You are looking down throughout. This should never be done. The torso will tend to follow the lead of the eyes and in this case will tilt you more forward as the pressure increases over your head. Look straight ahead or slightly upwards throughout. the head should be in a neutral position.

2) I'm not as sure about this one, due to the angle of the vids., but it looks as though your feet are too angled to the outside. While some foot angle is good, too much offers little support. It's the same in any squat. So, try a little less angle and maybe a bit wider at the heels to allow your hips to "get between" your feet when you hit the low squat.

Hope this helps.

CoachMc
Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Randy Hill

Profile:

Thanks for the tips, everybody. Will try it all out soon.