CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Ramon Gomez

Profile:
Sacramento, CA!

The garage CrossFit gym is almost complete (stall mats are going in now, and the majority of the equipment is here...the remainder is being shipped). My roommates and I are new to CrossFit.
We'd love to be a part of a larger group, but aren't so fond of paying dues to do it (which is odd when you consider the amount of money I spent on the home gym, but...). Anyone interested in joining up for WoDs, and maybe putting together a small community?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Wade Smith

Profile:
Re: Sacramento, CA!

Hey, Ramon! Greetings.

There are multiple clusters of people in the area. Roseville, Folsom, Lincoln, East Sac, Rancho, Sac, and elsewhere. You probably already know about the handful of affiliate gyms in the vicinity.

Where exactly are you located?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Smith View Post
Hey, Ramon! Greetings.

There are multiple clusters of people in the area. Roseville, Folsom, Lincoln, East Sac, Rancho, Sac, and elsewhere. You probably already know about the handful of affiliate gyms in the vicinity.

Where exactly are you located?
Yeah, to make a long story long, I'm affiliated with a local professional wrestling organization, so I built the home gym to benefit that organization. Joining an affiliate gym with all of the trainees (8-10 most of the time) would have been overly expensive.
There's a small core of us who are going to be pursuing CrossFit, composed mostly of the professional wrestlers who are in really great shape, and me. That's 3 or 4 folks, total.
I'm located in Tahoe Park. A lot of people don't know that neighborhood, so I usually add in, "US-50, exits for 59th and 65th streets".
Old 12-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ramon, around what time do you guys think you'll work out? I'm coming from the Rosemont area so I'm pretty close.

You guys are just under 2 miles south of CrossFit East Sac.

I'm not really interested in working out at 6am though my afternoon and evenings are pretty much spent coaching throughout the week. I have been thinking about the 9am times at some affiliates but I'm content to just workout at home mostly these days. I really want a key to my current gym to workout before coaching or maybe after ( preferably before ). My current aims are to save up for my own bumpers and build a rack so I can just lift as much as I would please and whenever.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Ramon, around what time do you guys think you'll work out? I'm coming from the Rosemont area so I'm pretty close.

You guys are just under 2 miles south of CrossFit East Sac.

I'm not really interested in working out at 6am though my afternoon and evenings are pretty much spent coaching throughout the week. I have been thinking about the 9am times at some affiliates but I'm content to just workout at home mostly these days. I really want a key to my current gym to workout before coaching or maybe after ( preferably before ). My current aims are to save up for my own bumpers and build a rack so I can just lift as much as I would please and whenever.
For the next couple of weeks (the Christmas break) we'll be doing WoDs at around 6pm. With the professional wrestling background we have, we're probably pretty stubborn as well and won't be taking many extra rest days when we should (we're all new to CrossFit, and the Filthy Fifties killed us and left our legs weak, but we ran yesterday anyways).
That schedule will probably change in early January, when everyone heads back to work, and our affiliate pro wrestling training school gets back into full swing.
We're actually looking at squat racks right now and will probably purchase one in the next week.
I'll look into CrossFit East Sacramento. Aas odd as it may sound, I think it's probably cheaper for us to continue to buy pieces for the garage gym than all join an actual affiliate. Plus, the garage gym means a lot of positive things for the wrestling school, as well.
Once we got to know you a bit, I don't think it would be a problem to give you access to the equipment when you need it.

Last edited by Ramon Gomez; 12-21-2008 at 08:54 AM..
Old 12-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Actually considering 8 of you at 120-150/month. Geez, yikes. Even if it was half that. That's a big budget. Squat racks on ebay, that's like 3 of them at the minimum amount in.

Considering it's rainy season means I think I will be riding my bike only when necessary and just stay in at home.

If you have any interest in any of the gymnastics, we could probably setup a day and I could go through about anything there in the crossfit world when it comes to gymnastics or beyond ( I'm a gymnastics coach here in Sac and have been coaching for 8 years[?]).
Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Actually considering 8 of you at 120-150/month. Geez, yikes. Even if it was half that. That's a big budget. Squat racks on ebay, that's like 3 of them at the minimum amount in.

Considering it's rainy season means I think I will be riding my bike only when necessary and just stay in at home.

If you have any interest in any of the gymnastics, we could probably setup a day and I could go through about anything there in the crossfit world when it comes to gymnastics or beyond ( I'm a gymnastics coach here in Sac and have been coaching for 8 years[?]).
Actually, we could really use some direction on the rings, since *none* of us have any gymnastics experience. I expect to mount them in the next week (they arrived just a few days ago); I'll send you a PM (can I do that here? I haven't tried yet) when we're ready; it would be great to have you come and give us some guidance on false grip, help us put together some ramping exercises to build to the muscle-up, etc.
To give you an idea, right now we have one person working at Big Dawg level, two working at Pack level (although both of us are reverting to jumping pull-ups after a few rounds most of the time), and one Buttercup who has joined us in order to slim down from his current 350 lbs.
I assume we'd be hiring you as a personal trainer for at least a few hours; we'll talk more about that when we're ready.
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

just pm me and we can discuss it further when the time comes.

go through all the available ring resources and what not and then if you need any explanation, i can chime in and fill in the gaps.

i also reccomend warming up those wrists, sometimes when you get big guys on things like the pommel of a pommel horse, it puts a lot of stress on their wrist due to their size. the same could be said of parallel or dip bars, possibly rings because of how the wrist sits on them.

doing some sort of elbow warmup might also be a good idea before supporting on the rings

you definitely want to do some stick dislocates if you start working skin the cats.