CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I was curious if anyone had any experience with Tony Blauer's High Gear. Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Bought the High Gear torso protector to see what the product is like. Very impressed and will be buying more. Looking forward to meeting Blauer at the training seminar in July.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Jeff:

How do you incorporate just the chest protector into your training or do you at this point? I was thinking about the whole shootin' match.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
We bought four complete suits for our PD Defensive Tactics program. Our first session with them will be in July. I'll let you know what we think. They came highly recommended by another program in our area.
Kurtis Bowler
Rainier CrossFit
Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 AM   #5
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Thanks Kurtis. I will be very intersted to hear from you.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Pat Harker

Profile:
We used the High Gear for our most recent Academy Class at the Police Department.

Instructors suited up in High Gear and recruits would wear Body Armor, gloves (Not Boxing)and Boxing type Head Gear with a wire cage in front of the face. Plus duty rig with a fascimile weapon and Inert OC Spray. Train like you fight

No closed fist strikes to the face, only open hand strikes. Too many Good Guys (Cops)have broken their hands punching Bad Guys in the head.

By the way Instructors fight with Recruits. Our Staff ordered some additional suits for us.

Great Quality, great product. The only issue I have is that the High Gear headgear has a tendency to fog up during the training. So we used the same headgear as recruits.

Order some and take your training to the next level.

Pat Harker

(Message edited by Paddy on June 27, 2006)
Old 06-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Patrick,
I only bought the chest prtotector. I am a skeptic when it comes to the claims most martial arts, martial artists make. So I didn't want to spend the money on something that would prove to be not what it claimed. I was interested in a couple of things. First, Would it allow me enough mobility to move like I do when I fight or would it be to bulky. It passed. Secondly, I wanted to be able to feel the strikes. I didn't want all pain removed from sparring, but I wanted to walk away uninjured, again it passed with high marks.
The suit does what it says it will do, and I am hoping to scrape together enough money to buy a few full suits for the school.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
The way you guys down there keep improving your school is really great. I hope the folks in Ramona appreciate it. I really wish you guys were in Modesto!

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #9
Laura Rucker

Profile:
hope the folks in Ramona appreciate it.

We do!!!!! WE love Brand X!!!!

:kiss:
Old 06-28-2006, 04:36 AM   #10
John Todd Goodman

Profile:
Hey, new to the site, but NOT new to High Gear. I've been doing the martial art thing for the standard 20+ years(just like everybody else:proud:), and have been a cop in NC for 17+. I've been involved with Tony Blauer and his company, BTS for 4 years now. I trained in the High Gear (for the 1st time 4 years ago) in St. Pete, Fla in 95 degree heat, At Close Quarters, in a bus, for 5 days. Fell in love with it and bought 1 for me, and took the info back to our department and we bought 6 more.

The suit is incredibly mobile, you can go to
http://www.tonyblauer.com/4105/03_07..._in_action.asp and see what you can do in it. It is impact reduction, which one of the genius' of it. If you feel pain, you are going to move accordingly. That means you have to track the Bad Guy (BG), which is priceless for combat training. It allows you to feel pain, but not get injured. Another very cool thing about the suit is it only weighs 7.5 pounds head to toe. It takes about 3 minutes to put on, BY YOURSELF, after you learn how to do it.

I could go on and on about High Gear, not because I am devoted to the System and methodologies taught by Blauer Tactical Systems (though I am), but I have trained in several "other suits" and they just don't come close to comparison.

Thnx for letting me speak, see you in July in San Diego.

JT Goodman