CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Austin Scales

Profile:
I am no stranger to being sore, but right now I'm experiencing a kind of soreness I've never felt before. After taking a sabatical from crossfit (for various reasons), I started up again just a few weeks ago and have been trying to do it regularly. I did Cindy about a week ago. I probably wasn't as warmed up as I should have been, and my chest was very sore the next day. That was nothing new. Been there, done that. What's beginning to make me concerned is that I'm still very sore, and it's become less of a "worked-out really hard" soreness and more of an "I feel like the muscle is about to tear at any moment" kind of feeling. My range of motion has dramatically decreased and any stretching (regardless of how gentle) I try to do results in a deep, tearing kind of pain. It got worse after doing overhead squats, and I've been taking it easy ever since.

Any recommendations?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
David Aguasca

Profile:
i'm no expert, but i can still say with confidence that you should probably KEEP taking it easy.

if soreness goes from general discomfort to PAIN, i'd say that's a good indicator that something might be wrong.

basically, don't do anything that makes it feel worse. rest. if you want to continue WODs, maybe switch to lower body work for a while.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I think it's not soreness, and maybe a muscle injury. Hit up a sports doctor and see what he says. I've been sore for a week (somtimes longer) after taking a long break, but it's never been a "this is so tight it's going to tear" feeling.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I had a hiatus from BP which I was quite strong at then did Lynne and got 30/28/26/24/22. My chest was dysfunctional for over a week. I could barely get my hair washed. Worse part was it got more painful each day for three days before it started getting better. Pain was finally gone in about 12 days, but still felt tight after that for awhile.

Linda did the same thing to me the first time. For days could hardly sit, but could hardly get out of my chair either.

Both times are still vivid in the amount of pain I was feeling, but more upsetting to me was the temporary loss of proper function. I do not often sell-out anymore in things I have not done for a few months.

My (non-physician) thoughts are, if the pain is bilateral you probably caused yourself a good case of localized rhabdo muscle damage. Take it easy and work the area with low load to get blood flow and speed recovery
Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Jason Steele

Profile:
Austin-

Have you been applying ice to your chest? Crazy idea, but it will help. I've had that feeling in my chest before, but it has gone away relatively quickly with some streching (very slight at first) and some hot-cold immersion work. If that doesn't work, go see a sports med doc.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Austin Scales

Profile:
It's starting to heal, but I still can't stretch it. I haven't tried icing it, but that's the normal course of action I take when I mess myself up.

I know what you mean, Craig. It really bothers me that I can't go the the gym the way I like to, since I have to avoid virtually all upper body work. I think I'll go do some deadlifts today. That has always cheered me up in the past.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Andy Shirley

Profile:
If your gym has an arm-bike, use it. Its good for getting the blood flowing to those sore muscles. The increased blood flow gets rid of all the waste products, decreasing soreness. Drink lots of fluids.