CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-16-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
Erik Preston

Profile:
So, I'm starting to develop a pain in my left shoulder area where the anterior delt ends, moving posteriorly, if I stop right in the middle. I only really feel this significantly during overhand grip pullups and RDL type activities (this is where I first noticed it).

I have full ROM with no loads, and no pain during this ROM.

I have been doing a significant volume of OLY lift training over the past week, tilted towards snatch progressions and OHS vs. cleans

Help!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Sounds like a rotator cuff strain/tear or impingement is a possibility. I would recommend getting tested.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Sounds like a rotator cuff problem. If it is near the top of the shoulder on the anterior side, then it is probably either the subscapularis or the supraspinatus. My guess is that it is the supraspinatus since you were doing a lot of oly lifting. A weak supraspinatus will inhibit your overhead pressing motions and cause pain in them if it isn't strong enough. Strengthening it will help to increase your overhead pressing motions. The subscapularis is the most often injured rotator cuff muscle.

You should probably start doing all of the rotator cuff exercises anyway just to strengthen your shoulder.

Supraspinatus -- lie down on your side and take a light DB and hold it against your side. Now move it up until there is about 45 degrees between your arm and your body (e.g. lying side abduction to 45 degrees with a DB). Do 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps or really until you can feel the burn deep in your shoulder that tells you that you are working the rotator cuff muscle.

You can use google for some exercises for the other rotator cuff muscles. Usually internal and external rotation with a theraband or lying down with a DB for the subscapularis and teres minor respectively, and something like cuban presses for the infraspinatus.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Erik Preston

Profile:
Steven, Thanks much for the attention and proposed remedies.