CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I don't know if this is the muscle or it something neural, but for the past week, almost daily, I have been getting these abrupt and and sharp feelings of "burns" close to the center of my right hamstring. It feels like someone is playing with a lighter, holding it under my thigh for a while, when all of a sudden the burn "shows up".

I cannot explain this and neither could my cousin who is a resident MD...

Is this muscular, neural or what?...

Some things that could help you out:

I have been hitting the WOD hard for two weeks now and have developed a preference for really cold showers.

I know this isn't your average injury but let me tell you, standing in the middle of a meeting rooom, than jumping up from my chair like I was bitten by a snake is pretty embarassing!:lol:
Old 09-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Alex, you are wondering if it is muscular or neural, maybe it is both? The muscle could be putting pressure on the nerve. Does it only happen when you're sitting, or does it happen when you're up and around, too?

Do you think you might have some triggerpoints in the hamstrings / hips?

By the way, did that other pain you had clear up with piriformis stretching?
Old 09-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #3
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Hello Brian!

It usually hapenned while sitting but I just got it today just before entering my car (standing). It's odd that I can't figure out what it is, but it's really sharp-I can tell you that.

Regarding the stretching. Where you talking about the sciatic disturbance I was having? It's amazing cause I haven't thought about it since and guess why! Yup hasn't shown up again:happy:

If I feel like chilling a bit after a WOD I'll often combine the piriformis with various other stretches every now and then.

Thanks again for coming to the rescue!