CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Paul Zagaria

Profile:
Special workout for victim of polio

Has anyone ever attempted to train someone who was stricken with polio? We have a lady that wishes to work out in our gym that was stricken with polio as a child. With the pronounced limp she suffers from, she will obviously have a difficult time with many of the exercises (especially the balance, coordination, agility skills). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Special workout for victim of polio

I can't give any advice on the matter, but I wish you and her the best of luck. Let's keep this thread alive folks! That way somebody with specific knowledge on the matter will definitely see it.

Last edited by Andrew H. Meador : 03-17-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:

You are right it will be difficult, but certainly doable. You are just going to have to really lower the challenge. Running will most likely be out at first, but that is probably easily substituted with rowing. More time will be spent on mechanics and even stretching to get the proper form for your basic movements. Some exercises may need to be excluded for quite sometime, but the programming can certainly be adapted. Feel free to post or even email me directly for more specific help.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Paul Zagaria

Profile:

Thanks, Jerimiah. You sound like you may have some experience with this? Anythng more specific?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:

I don't have a lot of experience, but some. I am a physical therapist assistant. You will have to take alot of care to minimize damage to the joints affected by the weak muscles. For example this person will probably be doing step ups instead of box jumps for a while if not always, because of the lack of ability to protect the knee on landing. Special attention and modification may need to be made for squating and ultimately its progression, due to lack of muscle control. Once good form is established full ROM may take significant time to achieve and a smaller ROM may need to be acceptable for a period of time. It is all very dependent on how affected they are, body weight, etc. Hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Paul Zagaria

Profile:

Thanks for your help. If she follows through with working out, I'll let you know how it goes.