CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #21
Zach Price

Profile:
Re: Too fat for crossfit?

Crossfit can always be scaled. I'm not a trainer but I think one could set up something involving sitting in a chair and getting up repeadedly, walking a few houses down and back, going up a flight of stairs and walking back down, etc. and making it into a WOD. Just what comes to mind if I were to recommend a WOD when having to carry that much weight. I would check with your doctor if it's safe first though.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #22
Tracy Reed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Price View Post
Crossfit can always be scaled. I'm not a trainer but I think one could set up something involving sitting in a chair and getting up repeadedly, walking a few houses down and back, going up a flight of stairs and walking back down, etc. and making it into a WOD. Just what comes to mind if I were to recommend a WOD when having to carry that much weight. I would check with your doctor if it's safe first though.
I actually am more active than that already, I do up to 30 minutes on a recumbent device and lift weights up to about 60lbs. for 30 minutes. I also currently do the tire flips and some wall pushups. Can't do regular pushups yet nor a pull-up.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
Zach Price

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Reed View Post
I actually am more active than that already, I do up to 30 minutes on a recumbent device and lift weights up to about 60lbs. for 30 minutes. I also currently do the tire flips and some wall pushups. Can't do regular pushups yet nor a pull-up.
then you're ready. You just need a professional to push you and create an appropriate program for you. Like I said if you are cleared by a doctor to do high intensity training then a trainer is less likely to see you as a liability. It sounds like your healthy enough but that just may have been the logic behind the CF trainer turning you away.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #24
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

I would give this a try. Its a 30 day at home crossfit challenge its all bodyweight. The website is called cleaneatsinthezoo.com click on 30 day challenge
Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #25
Ben Joven

Profile:

IMHO any exercise is better than no exercise, the most important thing in finding a gym finding a place that your comfortable with, thats really it.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
Blaise Davis

Profile:

maybe to fat to crossfit WFS
Old 09-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
maybe to fat to crossfit WFS
That doesn't seem too Christian to me, Blaise. Seriously NOT.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #28
John H Curtis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H Curtis View Post
Hi,

I started in a similar boat - my heaviest was 305 and I'm down to a fluctuating weight between 265 and 270. My long term goal for a sustained wieght is between 195 and 205, so I too have a bit of a ways to go.

That said, I've started down the Crossfit path and I really like it. I am a big believer that nobody is too fat for Crossfit if their trainer is willing and knowledgeable enough to scale things to their ability.

Can't do box jumps? Do step ups on some stacked plates. Can't do a normal pushup? Do a pushup with your hands elevated on a box. Etc. I'm fortunate that the coaches at my box are great about understanding scaling and keeping people working hard within their own ability sets.

There is a great story in the book "Inside the Box" about a gal named Irene Mejia at Crossfit Elysium - started at 450, lost 50 on her own, then joined Crossfit. She lost another 100 as of the video here:

http://www.crossfitelysium.com/testi...-100lbs-so-farYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE

A couple of possibilities you may want to explore:

1) Call the box on the Army base and explain your situation to them - they may be able to work out a pass for you to get on base. Might take some extra paperwork and time to get you cleared, but they may end up being a better fit if the trainer has a different attitude and/or knowledge base. That's one thing I've found out as I've read - not all affiliates are equal as far as knowledge base and experience levels of coaches and you sometimes have to find better fits if one isn't ideal for your particular situation.

2) If the Army base box is a no-go, you could ask them and the trainer at the box you looked into if there are any licensed personal trainers around who incorporate a Crossfit methodology into their training but don't necessarily operate out of an affiliate - I ran into a trainer like this at a Gold's Gym near where I live and he really got me down a good path - he didn't call what he taught us Crossfit (understandably so - he worked for Golds), but what I'm doing now at the affiliate I belong to isn't that different from what he had me and my wife doing. You may have to do some research to find these folks, and there is also the matter of finding a trainer you gel with well, but this is another possibility if an affiliate isn't working out.

3) If neither of these work out, online training with a group of friends to work out with may help. You'll just need to be careful as without a trainer or coach, you would have less specific correction on form issues, and especially with CF type stuff where there is a lot of squatting and use of the posterior chain, you'll want to make sure you are protecting yourself with good form. One thing that may help on this front would be to see if the Crossfit gym could do a few personal sessions with you (even if you aren't joining) to get your form good-to-go, so that if you are working out on your own and/or with friends, you will at least have some base coaching on fundamentals.
I don't see an edit button on the quoted post or I would fix, but wanted to assure folks the link I provided is both family and work safe - since the description I provided was a weight loss journey and was to a crossfit affiliate site, hopefully that was clear without the annotation previously, but rules are rules. Sorry moderators!

Last edited by John H Curtis : 09-03-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #29
Jennifer Munzner

Profile:

Tracy, Never saw a follow-up as to how you decided to proceed. Hope you've found something that works for you! Crossfit has a place for everyone, I hope that you're able to find yours.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #30
Tracy Reed

Profile:

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for asking, I think for now, I am just going to try to get into the no frills gym that I go to on a consistent basis and just do what I can and what feels right to me and try to get better at it as I go along. I guess I will attempt to lose another 30-50 pounds before I attempt the CF program.