CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Adam Schulte

Profile:
CrossFit-centered medical study

Hi All,
I'm a 2nd year Family Medicine/Sports Medicine resident and devoted CrossFitter in Columbus OH, and I've taken the preliminary steps toward implementing a medical study specifically oriented to examining the CrossFit athlete. As I'm sure most of you have already encountered at some point, very few within the medical community have heard of CrossFit, and for those who HAVE... their understanding is rudimentary at best. The purpose of this study would be to establish a sort of reference point for clinicians to access if/when they encountered a CrossFit athlete in their practice, as the specific needs, considerations, and primary care objectives differ significantly from the general public's.

As far as I've been able to gather, this could potentially be the first and largest study of its kind to examine just CrossFit athletes, and would be a tremendous step in further establishing CrossFit as a legitimate sport. I'm aiming for a study population of 500 at least, and would like to pool sample sub-populations from as many different affiliates as possible. Here are the details:

1) I've been attempting to get in touch with administrators from CF's corporate offices without any luck, however have been told that moderators who frequent the boards here are the best contacts. My main concern is any potential legal issues that could arise without first obtaining permission to conduct the study, or if that's even an issue. Please contact me if you're a moderator and can answer any of these looming questions.

2) If you're an affiliate owner and are interested in your gym taking part in the study, please contact me. This will be a survey study only, no official medical documentation or protected health information will be required. The survey needs to go through a couple more revisions, with a projected distribution of surveys by January 2013. All participating affiliates will receive mention within the study. If you're a member of an affiliate and would like your gym to take part, contact your gym's owner and bring his/her attention to this thread.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Dr. Adam Schulte, D.O.

Also posted in the "Injuries" section.

Hi All,
I'm a 2nd year Family Medicine/Sports Medicine resident and devoted CrossFitter in Columbus OH, and I've taken the preliminary steps toward implementing a medical study specifically oriented to examining the CrossFit athlete. As I'm sure most of you have already encountered at some point, very few within the medical community have heard of CrossFit, and for those who HAVE... their understanding is rudimentary at best. The purpose of this study would be to establish a sort of reference point for clinicians to access if/when they encountered a CrossFit athlete in their practice, as the specific needs, considerations, and primary care objectives differ significantly from the general public's.

As far as I've been able to gather, this could potentially be the first and largest study of its kind to examine just CrossFit athletes, and would be a tremendous step in further establishing CrossFit as a legitimate sport. I'm aiming for a study population of 500 at least, and would like to pool sample sub-populations from as many different affiliates as possible. Here are the details:

1) I've been attempting to get in touch with administrators from CF's corporate offices without any luck, however have been told that moderators who frequent the boards here are the best contacts. My main concern is any potential legal issues that could arise without first obtaining permission to conduct the study, or if that's even an issue. Please contact me if you're a moderator and can answer any of these looming questions.

2) If you're an affiliate owner and are interested in your gym taking part in the study, please contact me. This will be a survey study only, no official medical documentation or protected health information will be required. The survey needs to go through a couple more revisions, with a projected distribution of surveys by January 2013. All participating affiliates will receive mention within the study. If you're a member of an affiliate and would like your gym to take part, contact your gym's owner and bring his/her attention to this thread.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Dr. Adam Schulte, D.O.

Posted this awhile back. We're currently conducting the first medical study to focus exclusively on the CrossFit athlete. We're requesting that every member of every affiliate complete this short multiple choice questionnaire to help medical professionals direct and tailor medical decision-making toward the specific, unique needs of this new brand of athlete. Additionally, results from the survey can be used to help improve programming, establish absolute and relative injury rates compared to other affiliates, and improve athlete safety.

For more complete details, please visit the Crossfit Participant Composite Survey Facebook page at the following address: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Cr...16720821752691

The link to the survey can be found on this page as well. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at CrossfitCompositeSurvey@gmail.com

Thanks in advance,
-the CPCS team

Posted this awhile back. We're currently conducting the first medical study to focus exclusively on the CrossFit athlete. We're requesting that every member of every affiliate complete this short multiple choice questionnaire to help medical professionals direct and tailor medical decision-making toward the specific, unique needs of this new brand of athlete. Additionally, results from the survey can be used to help improve programming, establish absolute and relative injury rates compared to other affiliates, and improve athlete safety.

For more complete details, please visit the CrossFit Participant Composite Survey Facebook page at the following address: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Cr...16720821752691

The link to the survey can be found on this page as well. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at CrossfitCompositeSurvey@gmail.com

Thanks in advance,
-the CPCS team

Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Re: CrossFit-centered medical study

Hi Adam

1) Do not cross-post

2) I don't know who told you a message board moderator could or would give you authorization for your study, but surely you realize that is crazy.

Absent specific clear approval from HQ's legal and medical teams, this moderator's advice is to stand down.

Regards,
Lynne Pitts