CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #21
Luke Conner

Profile:
Re: Rev X Jump Rope Testing for Again Faster

I didn't throw my name in to get one, but since I use a Rev X as my primary rope I'll throw my review in anyway. I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point Rogue switched the type of cable they used to something I'll describe as crap. It holds the memory of it's shape and never really loosens up. As the above poster stated, you can put the rogue rope down and it literally lifts up off the ground into it's curled and messed up shape. I hate it.

The Rev X rope on the other hand doesn't hold the memory of it's shape so it swings very well and never bends where you don't want it to bend. The bearings in it are awesome. I spend the first two years of CrossFit using the cheapest speed rope sold and it worked fantastic. The Rev x rope is very similar to it in the handle design. The spin on the bearings of the Rev X rope is so much better than my old speed rope though. It takes minimal effort to get the rope around.

I tried the Rogue, RX Rope and several others, but the Rev X is by far my favorite.

My only real complain is that I jumped outside all the time with my old rope and the coating never came off. With the Rev X rope the coating is starting to come off the rope. That seems to be very common though as I see it happening to lots of people's ropes at the gym. I'm not sure if everyone switched to a different type of coating or what, but they don't seem to last like they used to.

Pretty soon I'll grab a new cable for it and it will be awesome again.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #22
Joe Gazmen

Profile:

I have long been a proponent of no-frills; as such, I have used a basic Ultra Speed Cable rope for the last few years. Given the opportunity to try out a different rope, I thought it would be a good chance to see what the hubub was about. That said, shipping from Again Faster was incredibly quick, the rope arrived and I was very excited to give it a try.

Thoughts upon receipt:
-Looking at the previously posted reviews on the forum, I see I'm not the only one on the green-train. No surprise - it's eye-catching for sure; and it's difficult to mistake it for anyone else's rope. The days of writing hilarious things in Sharpie on the handle are gone...unless I think of something really funny, in which case, silver Sharpie it is.
-Adjusting was comparable to any other wire rope; had it sized and clipped within about five minutes.
-There is an unmistakable heft to the rope as compared to an Ultra Speed Rope. The wire seems really sturdy upon first feeling it.
-The handles seem wider than that to which I am accustomed (at least by feel, I did not measure) and rough on the end. This may take some adjusting, as I personally tend to hold the jump rope in my hand halfway while performing double unders. I do like the bearings - they seem very smooth.

Thoughts during use:
-The abovementioned heft comes into play right away. This rope is fast. The adjustment that I have to make from a lighter rope is very slight, but the speed of the rope makes the adjustment a quick one.
-Holding the rope halfway is an exercise in discomfort for my hands. I'm going to have to make a change to holding the entire handle. Again, the speed and weight of the rope makes that change easy, as the technique I used of holding the rope partway was to increase its lever arm. With a more robust rope, this is unnecessary and I can comfortably grip the whole handle while allowing the rope's weight to do more work with the force applied.

In short, this is a great rope. All the changes I made in technique were minor and easily sustainable, especially as I grow accustomed to using it. Can't wait to see how it holds up to the next month.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #23
Luke Conner

Profile:

Ultra Speed Cable rope! That's about what I used for a little over two years. Awesome rope. Though I like the Rev X rope better.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

Ok so I was given a tracking number for the rev-x rope on the 20th and the rope arrived today. As always, super fast delivery from again faster.
Appearance: after taking the rope out of the bag the first thing that you notice is how awesome the green color is. From reading all the other posts, I think again faster is gonna have to ramp up their production of the green cuz it seems to be the favorite color.
Handles: the handles are very similar to the rogue short handles length wise so they are quite a bit shorter than the long handled rogue ropes (I have both the short and long handle rogue ropes). There I one thing I noticed though. It might be a similar thing that the above poster was stating. The rogue short handle is a lot thinner and has a smoother bottom edge. The end of the rev x handle is wider and is not as smooth. I also hold the end of the handle in the middle if my hand and after doing a few double unders, I could feel the end of the handle kinda scratching my palm. I will try to use it more with my hands in a different position and see how that goes.
Cable: I love the weight if the rope. It feels great. Most ropes you have to do a bunch of double unders to "get the feel" for that rope but not with this one. The weight felt perfect. It also definitely has a perfect stiffness to it. It also appears as though the shape will maintain over time and not have permanent bends like some ropes. We'll see. Only time will tell.
Performance: like I said, this rope performed great. I love the cable. I have to say that the handle worried me a little bit though for the reasons I said above. It may be as easy as changing the way I hold the handle but that is not a easy thing to do. I will continue to use this rope exclusively to get a true feeling of it and will post what I think in a month.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #25
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

Ok so after reading joe's post again, we definitely had the same feeling about the handle.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #26
Jay Taylor

Profile:

I received my Again Faster Revolution Rope X this afternoon. It was shipped out on Monday and even with the terrible weather here in the tri-state area, it arrived in 2 day. I chose the green rope. The color is awesome and bright, but looks don’t mean much so on to the performance of the rope…

I own 2 Rogue ropes- the SR1 and the SR1S (same as SR1 but with shorter handles.) The SR1 handles are too long for me. The SR1S are a little too short, but I prefer the shorter handles over the longer ones. The AF rope handles are sized in between those 2 Rogue ropes’ handles and it is just about perfect for my hands. I do, however, like how the SR1S’s handles are cylindrical opposed to the Revolution Rope X’s tapered handles, although that might just be because I am used to the Rogue handles. We’ll see if this is still true after some more use. But the Again Faster rope definitely wins in the handle department.

Where the AF Revolution Rope X really beats out the Rogue ropes is the cable. My biggest complaint with the Rogue ropes is that when I coil my rope up to put it in my bag, it likes to stay coiled. This can be a problem because the Rogue rope often kinks during sets, and becomes coiled back up in between sets. The AF rope was delivered coiled up, but straighten out and stayed straightened out after I uncoiled it. A huge win for the Again Faster rope.

The cable of the AF rope feels heavier than the rogue rope. I like this as I feel that it gives me a bit more control over the rope.

The rope is easily adjustable, not very different than any other speed rope that I have used. It has a grommet on each end tightened by a flathead screw that you can use to adjust the length of the cable. Then you just cut off the excess. This is pretty standard. Where the AF rope stands out though, is that it comes with one extra grommet, 2 extra screws, 1 extra end cap for the cable, and 3 crimps if you prefer them over the grommet/screw. This is a nice touch and something that the Rogue ropes (and a cheap bushing Christian’s Fitness Factory rope) do not include.

I broke in my new rope with Annie today and hit a PR. Was it related to the new rope, who knows? But I am definitely making this rope my go-to rope. I would definitely recommend this rope to anyone in the market for one.

Edit: I posted my review before reading the prior reviews. I did not notice any discomfort with the edge of the handles. I will pay more attention for it next time, but maybe I hold my handles differently.

Last edited by Jay Taylor; 01-23-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Old 01-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #27
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

I need to get a replacement rope. My old Rev X (I assume this is what the old light blue ones were called) is about done. I see it on the site for 8.95. Is this the same one which is being reviewed above? I have the good ball bearing handles, just need a rope.

Lastly, can you choose colors on replacement? Did not see this option or I missed it someplace.

Thanks

Glenn

ps - AF ropes are the best...no question!
Old 01-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #28
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

The rev x rope handle says jump'n rope on it which is another brand. Did again faster just put the again faster name in the other handle? Or is this a new rope?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #29
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

After looking at the jump'n rope website the rev x rope seems identical to the R1 speed rope... And through there website you can select a longer handle as well if you choose. Maybe again faster can get the longer handle as well
Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #30
Francisco Pietri

Profile:

My background as it pertains to this review:

5'10"/170lbs. Crossfitter for 2 years. Double under PR: 143 with jump RX #3 (123 with rogue SR-1). L1 trainer, CF gymnastics, USAW. I've used all the rogue ropes(SR-1,SR-1S, SR-3), Jump RX with #3 cable, original AF Rev rope, Powermax, in addition to misc cheap ropes.

I'm just getting to update the Rev-X now. I was out of town this week for work but I'm back now. I also wasn't able to log in to the message board for a few days.

THE REVIEW:

SHIPPING/SERVICE/COMMUNICATION:

The shipping notification came on 20 Jan and was delivered to the house on 22 Jan. As always from AF, no shipping issues. Great response time and great communication. Great service as always!

THE ROPE:

So my initial impressions of the rope:
-Color is bright: Looks nice. Definitely the brightest wire speed rope I've seen. I like it. Apparently I have a thing for green.
-Close to the original rope: Besides the wire itself, it's seemingly the same as the original Rev rope. I compared the handles to my old Rev (I think it's about 2 or 3 years old now). Looks the exact same down to the eye bearing structure and the marks on the end of the handle. This actually scares me since I don't use that old rope anymore. I had trouble with the handle being pulled off if I landed on it the wrong way. I attribute this to the plastic bearing housing. I will see how this new one does. Hoping for the best.
-Thicker rope: comparing the 2 ropes, the new wire is thicker. I'm looking forward to this. I found the original one to be slightly too light. I would lose it as fatigue set in. This was another contributing factor for me to stop using the original one.
-Adjustment screws: the REV-X has adjustment screws on both ends. This is good for those who may not be tool friendly or limited on what tools are available. I know it's extremely easy to use a screwdriver or knife or something similar to adjust it. But if one ever seizes, it's nice to have an additional one.
-Non crimped end caps: the original ones had caps that had to be squeezed flat to crimp tight. The new one uses grommets and includes an extra one in the kit). Much nicer for readjustment.

Looking forward to try it out. Likely will be this afternoon or Wednesday.