CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #1
Harold Ring

Profile:  
I work in a fairly busy firehouse and have just started the zone. At home I have no problems with the plan, but today is the first day with the diet on the job and I can tell that it will become problematic to maintain at work. We eat communally and of course meals can be interrupted or delayed frequently. I work 10 24 hour shifts a month. Should I just do the best I can at work and be strict at home. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Not a zoner, but I am a FFer Harold, and I know how hard it can be to eat healthy in a station. Will it put you in a bad light with the rest of the guys if you brown bag it?? Even if its occasionally??
From what Ive seen here, most of the people are pretty lenient about zoning. Im sure your responses will be favourable.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
Harold Ring

Profile:  
Steve,
Breakfast will be no problem, it is lunch and dinner that concern me most. When I cook of course it will be no problem, but when someone makes pasta it will be hard to eat around that. I can always supplement with stuff I bring and still participate in the eating fund. It is more of a convienance issue. I am sure that you have had days when just getting a bite in edgewise was an accomplishment.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
Harold--I am a medic and i normally work 12 hour shifts-except this morning when i rolled out early for an 18. As long as the social aspect of firehouse eating is not a problem, here are my suggestions. I went to the grocery store and got a bunch of those resusable/disposable containers (like Gladware). I pre-measure my blocks of veggies/canola oil/protein into them. That way I can mix and match a block or two here and there as time permits during the day. Sometimes I have to label the containers with a post-it so i remember how many blocks i put in there! I also buy string cheese in individual packs and deli meat in re-sealable packs and take those with me. If you get a couple of pint rubbermaid containers with screw on lids, you can pre-mix your smoothies--easy to down on the way to a call. I keep frozen fish fillets and veggie sausage in the freezer at work for when we have more downtime. I bought an insulated luch bag too and when I leave home in the morning it is STUFFED!!! I usually throw in a few pieces of fruit, an avacado and a baggie of almonds and walnuts too. Of course, learn the block conversions of some of you favorite zone fast foods (egg mcmuffins and chicken soft tacos for me!!)--occaisionally unavoidable:-)
This usually takes a little prep the night before, but for the benefit, I feel it is worth the--minimal--effort.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
Rick Ihrie

Profile:
Harold - re: trying to hold the zone - - on busy days @ the firehouse I try to suppliment my food with a lot of H20, almonds, protein shakes, bars, fruit and and a couple of hardboiled eggs. I also keep a couple of protein bars on the engine. My weakness is vegies - so I have to try real hard to keep that up!