CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Almost 60 days Paleo--no weight lost!

Just wondering if others have experienced a let down on Paleo? I am muddling through it because I do buy into the health benefits and moral implications of pastured animal products, as well as the detrimental effect of lectins on your gut.....but sheesh is it frustrating!

I am eating rather strictly following Whole 9s version which is more strict than Cordain/Wolf.

I am down maybe 2 lbs (hard to quantify as I am typically up 1 down 2 etc) Body fat is down 1.5%-.5% (again hard to quantify exactly)

I have played with more calories, a little less calories too and just feel stuck.
I wanna throw in the towel and eat some fat free pringles and count WW points cus I know that would make me lose weight.....but is such garbage health wise and also would effect my performance.

Just wondering if I am alone?!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Thom Knapp

Profile:
Re: Almost 60 days Paleo--no weight lost!

What was your starting BF%? What is your workout schedule? How much sleep are you getting? Are you following the whole 9 meal plan, what are your macronutrient ratios?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

In addition to what Thom asked, what is your height and weight? Post what a typical day's worth of food is, some people think they are doing strictly paleo when they actually are not.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Sleep is important.

Others to consider are toxins, and hormonal issues. Those are both able to be helped, however you'll have to search for it to be done without medication. Most medical doctors will not consider toxins as a hurdle in weight loss, and will most commonly offer you prescription meds if it's hormonal, or adrenal fatigue.
PM if you want and I can try to find someone that may be able to help you in your neck of the woods.

P.S. I'm not selling you any product. We have a bio-nutritionist who works with our chronic ill patients, diabetic, auto-immune diseases, adrenal and hormone issues and have seen great results in them. She may know someone close to you that may be able to open you up to other options.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Thanks guys.

I am getting 8-9 hours of sleep consistently. BF was about 20.5% I am 34 yrs old 5'4" and 125 lbs.

I am doing my best to follow the meal plan (not commited to the Whole 30 right now in terms of no sugar at all and no alcohol) although it feels like A TON of food for me so I have scaled it down a little bit.

5-6 WODs a week and typically one day of a light 2-3 mile run.

I'll post today:

coffee with 1 splenda (I know this is not Whole9 OK)
2 scrambled eggs with tomato & spinach in coconut oil
.5 oz Macadamia nuts

8 am WOD

1/2 apple with 1 Tbsp almond butter

Lunch-mixed organic greens, red pepper, olives, snap peas, hard boiled egg, avacado, 3 oz flank steak, avacado oil & balsamic dressing

had a handful of blackberries a few mins ago

Dinner-free range chicken sausage, red & pellow bell peppers, organic no salt can stewed tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato sauce (EVOO, tomatoes, basil, sea salt) over spaghetti squash

I haven't paid too much attention to the macro breakdown to be honest. Maybe that is an area I need to work on. I have gotten over the hump with worrying about too much fat.

I would say that is pretty typical. I do have a Larabar here and there as well as a glass of wine maybe 2x a week. I plan to do the complete Whole30 in January.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Ariel Colletti

Profile:

Well, 5'4 125 pounds sounds pretty healthy to me.

Also 6 wods a week sounds like a lot.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Why waste your money on free-range chicken, and organic produce and eat this?

http://www.splendainfo.com/dangers-of-splenda

The most important to note, is that it's man made and contains a chlorine molecule. If you don't know the dangers of chlorine, google it.

Stevia would be a better choice, although no long term studies have been done with that either. We tell people to use raw cane sugar(the brown packet on the table, not the pink or yellow one) if they want something to add.

Another thing you may want to try is rest. WOD's 5-6 days, and a 2-3 mile run on your "day off" may be another reason too.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Thanks guys. I know the Splenda is awful. I guess I have always just let it be my guilty pleasure. So if I can't drop the sweetener altogether I am thinking of skipping the coffee period. Or perhaps the brown packet~

My other simultaneous post was about my schedule, so I hear you on that one....anxious to see the overall thoughts. Gains have been significant on that front, but want to be sure it isn't sabotaging my overall goals.

5'4 125 is a healthy range no doubt, but I definitenly have A LOT of fluff hanging around! Promise!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Just a couple things, first off, you said it "seems like a lot of food". Well, with paleo you're only supposed to eat until you feel full. Once you're full, stop eating! There is no prescribed amount you have to eat. Remember, it's about quality, not quantity. Second, your diet seems a bit carb/fat dominent. For leaning out with paleo I go protein>fat>carb and totally get rid of fruit. Regarding your snacks, they are all either carb only or fat+carb. Fat+carb together is the best way to gain weight. Not what you want.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

How about instead of worrying about losing weight you just turn that fluff into muscle and weigh like 140 pounds and still look better?