CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Angelina Kelly

Profile:
Formerly (really) morbidly obese, now fat, wanting to be fit.

Hello!

I don't really have any questions yet but I wanted to introduce myself and this is a longer introduction than I meant it to be.

I used to be morbidly obese, but now I'm just fat and I'm hoping to get fit. I started struggling with my weight around the age of 6, mom dragged me to nutritionists, doctors, etc, and I just kept gaining weight. I tried to be an active kid/teen and had a bike and walked everywhere. At the age of 14, I reached 300 lbs and stayed there until about the age of 20. In the last few years of college, I gained 35 lbs and then 2 years out of college, I gained another 30 lbs (office job, got a car, etc). My weight stayed the same until my late 20s. At the age of 29, I had a small accident which left me unable to walk without pain for about 3 months. When the accident happened, I realized I needed to do something or else I might not be able to walk in the future. I started following a whole foods type diet and exercised including lots of weight lifting and various other forms of exercise. In 3.5 years, I lost 150 lbs and got down to 220. I've been around 210-220 for the last 2.5 years.

I just turned 35 and I want to be active and I want to be fit. My exercise has been really inconsistent and I've read about Crossfit workouts for the past couple years and even attempted them at home myself. I had many excuses built up to why I couldn't join an actual Crossfit. None were close to my home, I didn't have the time and they are expensive. This coming from someone who had an $8/month Ballys membership (which I stopped going) and the Ballys is closer than any of the Crossfits.

I decided that it is time to get fit before 5 years pass and I turn 40 and I think Crossfit is my best bet to achieve that right now. So I figured out all the excuses and checked out a couple Crossfit affiliates that are within an acceptable driving distance. I ended up joining one and I'm excited. I want to see what my body can achieve and I also want to try out new activities which are difficult at my current weight/body fat/etc.

So my goals are simple right now, drop body fat and become more physically fit than I am right now. I'm sure these will get better defined later though
Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Re: Formerly (really) morbidly obese, now fat, wanting to be fit.

Most people here, myself included, will tell you that if you want to lose weight you've got to change your diet first. Exercise helps but diet is most of it. Are you doing paleo or anything or do you have any plans to?

Either way, kudos to you to committing to change.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Latham Fell

Profile:

Seconded, for you diet will have the biggest impact right now. The food section of "World Class Fitness in 100 Words" is all you really need to get started:

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar."

If you eat like that, you will not be hungry and you will drop weight rapidly. This will happen regardless of whether you are exercising.

The above is, more or less, what's called a Paleolithic diet, but it does require some adaptation if you are not used to eating a lot of vegetables, nuts and seeds. For me personally, I learned a tremendous amount about food by adopting the Zone diet first. On the Zone you will learn exactly how many grams of carbohydrates, protein, etc you are putting in your body, which for many people is very enlightening. You also don't have to change your shopping habits quite yet; you just have to modify the proportions in which you're eating your food.

That being said, I no longer adhere strictly to Zone. I find that as long as I am eating Paleo, I feel great and I stay healthy.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I should've added that yeah I definitely agree my diet is important right now. In the past couple years, when I've added new activities, my weight has actually gone up! I started running, weight went up, started swimming, weight went up. I was afraid that when I joined Crossfit that again my weight would go up. So when I decided I would investigate joining Crossfit, I decided I really needed to buckle down on how much I eat as for me how much I eat is my biggest concern versus what I eat (I eat a whole foods based diet).

From my history, you can guess that I've had major issues with food but at the moment, I'm happy with my overall nutrition but I've been working on issues that cause me to too much food which sadly really isn't hunger. Paleo personally isn't for me although I know a lot of people are happy with it. Anyway, although I've been able to maintain my weight loss thus far, I haven't lost any more weight and part of the reason is I wasn't motivated enough to reduce my food intake. Lately though I've been working on my food issues, reducing my food intake without hunger increases and although I've banned the scale for a while, my clothes are starting to feel loose.

Last edited by Angelina Kelly; 06-05-2010 at 04:22 AM..
Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

What is this whole foods diet, exactly?

Why isn't paleo for you? Have you tried it and didn't like it or just don't like the sound of it?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

I don't follow any formal plan, just try to eat a variety of foods that are minimally processed. I eat lots of veggies, fair amount of beans, some fruit, some nuts/seeds, minimal grains/grain like things and try to eat things closest to their natural form as possible.

The thing about paleo is I love beans, they are my favorite food in the world and I also do buy some dark chocolate and eat it a couple squares a couple times per week. And then there is the fact that I don't like the taste of meat so yeah.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Michael Dries

Profile:

First of all congrats on your accomplishments. You done a great job and keep it up. I recently heard a quote by Mark Rippetoe that is something to the effect of, "when people commit themselves to not being sedentary and begin seeing physical changes in their bodies, they also realize they are can be in control of their destiny." Pretty powerful words and I think you show the truth in that.

You've made a huge journey and although mine isn't as significant as yours, you can read about it here www.howmikegotfit.com it details alot of what i did and how it worked.

Now as for diet... Looks good but I think you'd see a huge change if you replace the bulk (if not all) of those beans with lean meats. I know you like them, save them for a cheat meal once a week or so.

The point is beans CAN have an irritating effect on the GI tract which in turn can create systemic inflammation which in turn can make people retain body fat, or keep them from loosing it.

You're doing a great job in changing your life for the better and you should be proud of yourself. Now really buckle down like you said and at least read the following books...

protein power /protein power life plan by dr. michael eades.
The paleo diet by loren cordain

and download and listen to all of robb wolf's pod cast either from his website www.robb wolf.com (remove the spaces) or from itunes listed as the paleolithic solution.

I have a feeling you WILL get hungrier when you start crossfiting... if this happens, reach for the lean meats and you should be ok.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Like Michael said, with CFing you may get hungrier. I had a feeling that's what was happening with you gaining weight when you began exercising in other ways.

As for not liking the taste of meat, that could be quite a detriment to your progress. Granted, there are a select group of people who perform at high levels while utilizing a vegetarian or even vegan diet. How they do it is beyond me but they do it. Are there ANY meats you like? There are ways to change the taste. I eat everything plain because I use it for fuel, not because I like the taste. Eggs?

Nothin' wrong with dark chocolate, in my opinion, especially in moderation.

Either way, you're doing something other than sitting around feeling sorry for yourself, pining away at your current state and I respect that greatly.

I, too, was worried about joining a CF gym because it is 45 minutes away and I was also largely out of shape. Though, I had the opposite issue... I was far too thin at 135#, 6'1" and I was worried I couldn't keep up with the others. I, of course, couldn't but no one judged me and gave me only positive feedback. I'm up to 168 pounds now and I'm doing great. You'll love it, I promise.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Mike,

Thanks for sharing your blog!

And thanks to you guys for sharing your insights. A few years ago, I went vegetarian because I decided I didn't want to force myself to eat meat any more and that in order to have a healthy relationship with food that I should like what I eat. Luckily, I tend to like 'healthier' foods. I personally don't have a problems with beans although I used to have bad stomach issues when I ate dairy (I never formally had a lactose intolerance diagnosis).

And lately I have been reading books that address the mental side of overeating versus the physical side and to be honest, in just the last month, I've made a lot of progress in that which is why I think I'll be able to do CF without gaining weight.

Today was my first real WOD and yeah hunger hit pretty strong afterwards but I had planned a snack which took care of that. I am planning to tweak and see how things go with my food. My food has definitely evolved over the past 6 years and I really think this is an new chapter for me physically and mentally.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I want to welcome you to the CrossFit community. You have made a big step in changing your life, and I wish you luck. You will find a very supportive community of people online here.