CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-07-2004, 06:51 AM   #1
Brandon Price

Profile:  
Hello everyone! I've finally decided to actually speak up and say hello -- I made a resolution to stop lurking and start working, and promised myself to do more to help my Kung Fu. I'm relatively quick, have great flexibility and coordination, but I'm 5'9" and a lightweight 135. And nothing thus far has been able to make weight "stick".

I've been watching the site since August and reading the message board religiously. I'm a bit of an information junkie, and like to know what I'm getting into. I think I've gleaned most of what I can from just watching, however, and the plan is to jump into it tomorrow.

I don't really have any equipment at the moment, and due to an ill-conceived attempt at pushing myself through college without really wanting to be there, I'm a little strapped for funds with which to procure things. I did build some paralettes, though, and they're hella fun. I'd be really interested in hearing more on some of your ideas on bodyweight substitutes for the Crossfit exercises.

I'd also like to make a point to note that this is one of the most supportive, well-read, and polite groups I've ever come across. And everyone walks the walk, to boot. I'm looking forward to becoming part of it.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:12 AM   #2
Roy

Profile:

Brandon, Welcome!

You are in the EXACT same boat I was when I first started. I was not liking college either and did bodyweight only exercises, and had my own parallettes! This was happening in October and November when I lived in Denver.

It is funny to recall the overweight roommates drink beer and watching TV all day while I was doing rounds on the Body Opponent Bag along with parallette work.

What helped me achieve fitness at the time whil using the crossfit concept was:

The one legged squat

Rings

Parallettes

Body Opponent Bag

The floor

Most of all, Kip-Ups(common in martial arts, including Kung Fu

This is all I had, and I did what I could. My advice is follow the WOD and make substitutes. For example, if they ever powerclean, substitute each powerclean with 3 kip ups. If you can't do kip-ups yet, just work on them. You'll get them down to a T. Eventually, you'll be able to do 20 consecutively. The kip up is more of a plyometric exercise than a lift similarity, but it involves similar explosivness and uses lots of muscles. Challenging, fun, and impressive.

Find whatever you can to do pullups on. I suggest nylabone dog toy rings from the pet store and some stong leashes, and you're set. If you cant afford them, take em and run out.(just kidding, bad advice) Replace backsquats with pistols(i legged squats) or just tons of bodyweight squats. If you're trapped indoors, do jumpingjacks. Best of all, do your Kung Fu. I find that doing 10 right roundhouses, 10 left, 20 alternating all consecutively is a replacement for a 400 Meter sprint.

Be creative. And remember, if the WOD specifies "Squat" with no weight listed, it is a bodyweight squat. Same with lunge, etc. Do not hesitate to ask questions. Have fun.

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #3
Brandon Price

Profile:  
Roy, thanks for the welcome and the reply!

Indeed, kips are a core part of my current training -- my particular branch of Kung Fu is kind of the MMA of Kung Fus. We study a variety of weapons, and there is a heavy emphasis on developing gymnastic ability. I'm sure a lot of the gymnastics will make for nice WOD substitutes.

As for the pullups, I'm currently making use of an exposed I-beam in the basement (does wonders for the grip strength, too).

The current predicament is deciding between saving up for a decent weight set, and saving up for some gymnastic rings. I'm leaning towards the former, since I have the parallettes, and I think I'll need added muscle before I can make good use of the rings.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #4
GregE.

Profile:  
I just started as well and bought a 300-pound oly set for about $100 at a local Oshmans. Shoved it in the only small opening I have in my garage, pull my car out when its time and have used it twice this week already. Its been nice to have after only using DB's for so long. But thats another option for weights that is often much cheaper and easier to store and certainly helped me over the last couple years. I just wish I could do better than the cheap-o in-the-door-frame pullup bar I have. Hanging on it my knees almost touch the floor! Thats what I get for being tall I guess. But not like I can get my heavy butt up for more than one decent pullup yet without just doing a bunch of assisted followups and negatives. But either way, all that stuff was pretty cheap. And I'm thinking I'll be going to the pet store for those rope rings as well and I already have some moving straps to use.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
Just a quick question. How do you do a kip up?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
For the kip. Lie on your back, lift your legs so that you are in a pike with just your shoulders on the ground with your hands on the floor by your ears. Kick your legs upwards and just a bit forwards while pushing on the floor and opening your body explosively and land standing on your feet. This is also done without hands sometimes, though you cant get to a full stand that way.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:25 AM   #7
Roy

Profile:

Actually with practice, you CAN get to a full stand from the no hand kip up. Just make sure you shoot your hands forward while doing it. Good exercise for the neck! I suggest getting the kip up down first ;)

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-08-2004, 12:00 PM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Full stand? Meaning legs straight, body extended, arms above your head? Reason I qualify is that the intent is so you can do other skills out of this. Front handsring, front tuck, etc.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:18 PM   #9
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
Thanks for the info boys. Something new to try out.....