CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Bob Guere

Profile:
What next?

I have a nicely-pulled gluteus medius, and I've been nursing it for a few (4-5) weeks now. I understand this muscle is hard to re-hab because of it's use in everyday activity activites, but I want to get back to WODs, so I am looking for advice on what to do next. So far, I've done all these things: Rest, Ice, Heat, massage, additional fish oil, Ibuprofen, some zero (or extremely light) weight movements as per Rip to keep the muscle in the ROM mode. I have not gone past zero or bar-only weight as I felt the pain was beyond "re-hab" pain, and stopped.

I've been subbing during WODs, which is usually a complete elimination of any work that engages that muscle, so that leaves only a few exercises for me to do. I've been working pullups, dips, bench press, pushups, etc.

My question is for those who have experience with this type of injury and rehab, or similar injuries (hammy/glute max)... is this length of time common? I'm still in pain when I sit at my desk, or sit in the car, etc. There are certain positions during everyday activity that activate that area that are particularly painful as well.

Any advice, or should I just continue with what I'm doing and wait it out for 2-4 more weeks? I don't want to see a PT guy because he'll just give me the same advice that I can get right here, and this doesn't require time off work!

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT - I should also state that the pain has decreased over this time, and my mobility has increased, so I know I'm on the road to recovery, just don't know if I'm on the right road.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Jennifer Kasper

Profile:
Re: What next?

Are u sure it is muscle? I thought i had the same injury and it ended up being a herniated disk. For 7 weeks i treated my rear and hamstring thinking that was the problem and it was my back all along.... Am MRI showed it .....
Old 05-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

I have something very similar to you. The main problem is overcoming the crap motor patterns in your system.

When I sit down I try to activate the muscles that aren't being activated when I do exercises. Also, I try to do movements like deadlift and squats right now (while my knee is healing) quite slow as long as it doesn't hurt so that I can feel the activation of my muscles equally. Avoid pain, obviously, but whatever you can do to get muscle activation in especially during quality movements is gonna help.

If it's been that way for years it will probably take months and maybe years to overcome. It's like relearning to walk then jog then sprint. It will take time depending on how bad it is.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Mark Brinton

Profile:

Likewise, I've had some sort of "issue" with either my right butt or hamstring. Muscle pull or sciatic nerve? don't know. I did it 4-5 weeks ago losing form on my last deadlift. Nothing dramatic, just an "oops" moment. Since then it's been a bit uncomfortable sitting and a bit more uncomfortable driving. I've backed off a bit but still continue to do ME & metcons. I certainly hope I haven't herniated my disk..
Old 05-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. I've had herniated discs in back and neck, I don't think that's it. I can locate the sore area with massage pretty easily, and it's very .... uh... muscle-like?

Steven,
I've been doing that actually. Watching my lumbar curve while I sit and drive, etc. I've also been making sure when I bend over to reach for something I do a good balanced movement. I know it's slowly getting better..... today, after the shower, I could dry my left foot while balancing on the right, which I haven't been able to do in weeks. We're taking another mini-vacation, this coming week with my sister... so I'll have more ME rest. We are going to do some metcons at the hotel in Laughlin, NV. I want to see how many looks we get....