CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Michael Miller II

Profile:
Shoulder Ache

I have a shoulder ache: stronger in the right shoulder than the left. I've read just about every thread on shoulder pain/ache/tendinitis. Went to my GP who told me it was tendinditis where the bicep tendon connects to the shoulder and prescribed naproxen and ice. I have been doing this. Then went to orthopedic doctor who said there is no tear or instability, but told me that this happens to people my age (early 30's) and that the only answer is to avoid overhead pressing forever, becuase it puts the shoulder at an akward position. He then went on to tell me that benching would be fine.

I've had this ache for about 6 weeks and am unsure what to do about it. It's located right at the front of my shoulder. It rarely hurts with excercise, but sometimes aches after. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
David Boyle

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Ache

Yea my shoulder is killing me too. A lot of times I just try to take it easy and light on my workouts.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Maybe you need to look at your body proportions. Some movts are not meant for everyone!! Some are too pigheaded (not meaning you personally) to recognize that!!

I would also recommend an ART therapist to help you with this!! When I dropped the intensity of CF and moved to Oly training (respecting the lifts/frequency/reps etc) my shoulder issues seem to be a thing of the past!!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I wouldn't give up over-head presses. You might want to leg your shoulders rest for a few days or a week. Then using a light weight use very strict form for overhead presses. I recently learned to do them with active shoulders. In this exercize, active shoulders mean that you shrug as you are lifting the weight overhead. You also want to make sure you lift stright up and not tip forward to backward. This, and active shoulders will help alleviate impingement. I'm glad I brought back the presses. They are helping my chronically sore shoulders. They will get stronger and other upper body exercizes will be safer. If it hurts to lift your arms, it's too soon. It shouldn't hurt to do it. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

One more thing, Michael. You might want to skip Bench Presses during this time, especially if it hurts in the front.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Is the ache inside the shoulder or is it closer to the surface?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
Michael Miller II

Profile:

It's inside in the front. When its more tender I can push through the exterior and really target where the pain is.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
Brad Thompson

Profile:

Could be bursitis or a nerve problem.

Are you doing any flexibility moves? Does anything give you relief? If so, what?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
Michael Miller II

Profile:

It's really just a dull ache. If I push on the area that hurts (If i push my elbow back it's ther hard part that extends forward.) I feel tenderness. It's never been a strong pain, maybe a 3 tops, I'm just aware that its there and am afraid I'm going to do some damage working through it. I've been icing and taking naproxen.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
Christopher Gaskin

Profile:

[QUOTE=Sarena Kopciel;273246]Maybe you need to look at your body proportions. Some movts are not meant for everyone!! Some are too pigheaded (not meaning you personally) to recognize that!!

The way I see it, the press is one of those movements that, as a human being, is unavoidable, just like the deadlift. Bench press?....not so much.

There are some great articles in this month's CFJ about the press, and the false claim that it causes shoulder impingement.