CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Simon Boyce

Profile:
Question SDHP and shoulder impingement

I know this has come up before, but I couldn't find very complete answers. I've been advised by a physical therapist in the past not to do upward rowing movements because the position of the arms causes impingement in the shoulder. I've watched Coach Glassman's lecture on the SDHP and this doesn't come up. Is this an issue with this move? I have crummy shoulders, so I want to be cautious, but it seems like a great total body exercise that I'd like to do. Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: SDHP and shoulder impingement

The power for the move is supposed to be generated pretty much all with the HIPS. The shoulders should not be working at all and therefore will not be impinged (as the supraspinatus tendon will only be impinged if you actively force the shoulder up). If your shoulders are working a lot in the move you're doing it wrong.

Like some other moves like behind the neck press, some people just got crummy genetics and predisposition to impingement. Not everyone is like this but there are some people who are maybe including yourself. Basically, a type III acromion with a little 'hook' on the end makes it easier to push the supraspinatus right up into it.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Simon Boyce

Profile:

Thanks for the input. So I assume as long as you're shrugging and not using your deltoids you should be OK.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Boyce View Post
Thanks for the input. So I assume as long as you're shrugging and not using your deltoids you should be OK.
Well, you'll use your shoulders to some degree, but they should not be the prime movers.
Isn't shoulder impingement usually the result of lifting the arms over your head?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Boyce View Post
While shrugging does help (as it raises the scapulae and potentially protracts it a little), it does not significantly mitigate possible impingement.

You should be using the shoulders some, but definitely NOT at the top of the movement trying to bring the weight higher especially if you have shoulder impingement issues before.

Trying force the bar up at the top of the movement is a very bad idea. In fact, when I do the movement I try to not put ANY force on the bar at the top of the movement and let the power I generate from the hips and a bit from the lower portion with the shoulder drive it up to shoulder level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
Well, you'll use your shoulders to some degree, but they should not be the prime movers.
Isn't shoulder impingement usually the result of lifting the arms over your head?
Shoulder impingement occurs when the acromion basically smashes into the supraspinatus/supraspinatus tendon/bursa there as the arm is lifting to about or past 90 degrees while the humerus is in the anatomical position (biceps point forward).

Last edited by Steven Low; 04-02-2008 at 06:45 PM..