CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Joe Shininger

Profile:
Lost my mojo

The past couple of weeks have been extraordinarily stressful, and it's starting to affect my workouts. A combination of girl trouble, poor diet, too much booze (it was my bday), and major stress at school have disrupted my sleeping, eating, and lifting habits. At this point, I just feel bloated and tired. What should I do to get back on track? I've got a gameplan for the physical, but what does one do to push through the mental? I'm thinking to maybe to brand x workouts for a few days to ease back into it, and keep fueling my body with fluids, good food, and lots of sleep.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: Lost my mojo

If you are tired, for whatever reason, then take a mini cycle or a whole week off. During that week get out and stay active (frisbee, football, basketball etc.), but use the time to get stress, food, sleep under control.

Then get back into CF.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Once you start eating good and working out consistently you'll feel better before you know it. Try not to beat yourself up too much.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Joe Shininger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Emers View Post
too much.

too funny
Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Thomas R. Stegelmann

Profile:

I had a similar problem with Starting Strength a couple of weeks ago. I took a couple of days off, enjoyed lots of quality food and returned refreshed to the gym. Started my first workout easy, but realized that I was able to continue were I left a week earlier.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Yep what other people have said: take off a couple days (maybe even a week) and reset yourself.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Probably take a little time off, and then do this - http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=266780 wfs

I'm ready to take on the whole stinkin' world after that workout. (Okay, you can scale back into normal CF, but get this one done soon).

Maybe you could try a month-long contest with somebody. Might help with motivation.

Last edited by Derek Maffett; 03-03-2008 at 08:30 PM..
Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Greg Fischer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Maybe you could try a month-long contest with somebody. Might help with motivation.
Definately a good motivation technique. At the beginning of the year a co-worker of mine challanged me to who could lose the most weight in 2 months. (Of course after really getting into crossfit and nutrtion I realized weight alone is not everything, blah blah blah, etc) but anyway, the point is - if I was thinking about "skipping" a workout, I just thought about how there was no way this guy was going to beat me, and I bucked up and got in the gym... (Started at 216lbs, now I'm 199)

Challenge someone to a max bench press, or most pull ups, or fastest "Fran" and set a date for the challenge.

my workout log
Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Getting back into things mentally is always much tougher than the physical aspect, for me. It's a destructive and repetitive cycle that I get into, where I'll miss 1 workout (sometimes from an injury; sometimes just from lack of time), and soon enough I'll find I've gone almost a week without hitting a WOD.

Currently I'm in one of those ruts, and I feel like crap -- both physically, for not giving my body something challenging to do and improve on, and mentally, for not exercising my capacity for self-motivation.

It can be really hard to get back into things consistently for me once I get into one of these ruts.

I'm pretty introverted and not the most outgoing guy in the world, but I think what would help me above all other things, when I get out of the game and "lose my mojo," would be to have another person, or a group, to do the workouts with. Group motivation is a terrific thing mentally.

Taking time off is fine and dandy for the physical aspect of resetting. But as anyone knows who's had to overcome a mental challenge (quitting smoking, drinking, nail biting, etc.), it's not always so cut and dry mentally.

There's something about the ever-so-simple "3-2-1 GO!" that just for some reason doesn't always apply

Anyways, my suggestion after all of this, would be to see about getting someone to do the WODs with you. Maybe get into an affiliate on the days where you don't feel like you can hack it on your own.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
Nick Cruz

Profile:

Joe,

At the beginning of this year I was a mental wreck. I had some serious problems on the home front and my desire to work out, be fit, and take care of myself in general went down the shatter. It was very tough getting back into the swing of things but here is what I had to do.

First I have been plugged into an affiliate for the past 5 months or so. Its just a free Saturday workout but still the obligation that I felt to show up was enough to at least keep me going once a week to get some form of outlet. If you are not plugged in, I suggest you do it quickly. Having good solid people around you will help tremendously.

Secondly, on the mental side of things, its just plain going to take time. It sucks big time but with time all things can be healed. My ratio of bad to good days was way on the side of the bad (7 - 0). That has changed over time to where I am finally back to at least 6 and 0 in favor of the good days. I was also praying A LOT. I knew that there was part of this that I was going to have to face on my own, but I also had great friends around and Jesus at my side. For me, it was very comforting to know that I was not alone in all of it. Between making phone calls and praying I knew that there was always someone around.

When I started really getting down on myself I would look myself in the mirror and tell myself "Im Mother F***ing Nick Cruz!!!, NOONE can take that from me!!" That might sound corny or whatever, but it really helped me out, and helped me get my head right for the day, the night, the workout, whatever.

Third. You just gotta do it. How did you first get started on CF? Start there, give yourself a do-over. I found that really putting my all into my workouts helped out tremendously as well. When you are always going for a PR you dont have time to think about your problems and therefore get yourself depressed. I used the pain as a motivator. I started to feel better the more I hurt (not in a bad way). I would start getting ****ed at myself if I started to slow down and pu** out. Get your diet back on track, just make the commitment in your head and follow through (easier said than done, I know).

Lastly, set a goal. My goal is my second entry into the CF games. I know that if I let myself go Im going to look like an A**Clown at the games. I refuse to be an A**Clown =).

Good Luck Joe. Im pulling for you.

Nick

Last edited by Nick Cruz; 03-04-2008 at 12:04 PM..