CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Marko Todorovic

Profile:
Zone, I've lost too much weight!

Hey guys,

I started crossfit and the zone diet 2 months ago at 155 lbs. I'm a 5'7" male. Over the course of the two months on a 16 block plan I at first didn't lose any weight at all; recently however, I've lost about 5 lbs this month and by my calculations I've hit the 6% bodyfat mark. What should my next step be?
I see that the typical athelete's zone formula is just to up the fat intake, but now I feel bloated after every meal, and I've been starting to question whether that alone is a good idea, since most easily added fats (nuts, oils) typically have a LARGE amount of omega-6 fatty acids, which seems to negate the whole purpose of zone in the first place.

Should I instead increase my blocks to 18 or 20?

Also, what is the criteria for going on a 25 block plan? In the journal, it attributes this to what would losely be defined as a plan for an "athletic, well muscled male", but it seems like its a bit excessive. Any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Christian Gotcher

Profile:
Re: Zone, I've lost too much weight!

According to "Mastering the Zone," you just have to select the right sources of fat. Olives, olive oil, fish oil, and some nuts don't contain too much Omega 6 (I think- I'll have to check up on that). The problems with upping the zone count daily, according to Sears, is that the body can only process about 35 grams of protein at a meal. If your lean body mass is high enough to go above a 19 block plan, or if you're afraid you've lost too much weight (and are scared of increased fat intake), you're better off increasing the block size of your 'snacks' than your main meals.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Uhm how is your performance?

Is it getting better or worse?

Walnuts have a pretty good 6 to 3 ratio. Olive oil as Christian said, avocado, fatty fish (if you get canned salmon get the kind with some fat it in, usually includes skin and bones), fish oil, flax oil, If you are not freaked out by the sat fat try coconut oil/milk/meat. Olive oil or flax oil is pretty easy to add to

If you want to up your blocks a little fine, but it is a lot easier and probably better to up the fat.

All that being said people are different, I assume if you were at one time holding steady at 16 it seems about right but hey 18 is only two more blocks so you will have to make that call. Hey if we can't experiment on ourselves where's the fun at.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Upping your fat doesn't have to be flooding your system with Omega 6's. Start off with fish oil if you're not already taking it (easily the number one supplement for almost EVERYONE, other than those who survive on fatty fish for their primary source of protein).

Upping your fat can be a little tough to adjust to. I had some tough problems with bloating when I went to a higher fat, but not Zone, paleo plan a while ago.

Look up the Robb Wolf interviews (all three parts). he talks a little about the athlete's zone and notes that it's almost ketogenic. Gotta believe there's an adaptation going on there.

Also, how old are you? If you're still in your teens or early 20's it may be a necessity at some point to up overall bocks. Especially if you're ectomorphic (hard gainer)