CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Gayle Melnick

Profile:
I'm going to copy and paste this article from his website. Any thoughts?

Quality of LIfe vs. Longevity - Don't Believe The Hype
The idea that calorie restriction can enhance longevity isn't a new one. Many animal models have demonstrated that reducing calorie intake by 30-50% can dramatically increase lifespan.

While this info is old hat to scientists, calorie restriction was just thrust into the public eye this week with the following New York Times article. Go ahead and pop over to the site and give it a read. But before dropping your calorie intake by 30-50% just yet, consider the following.

First, there are alot of questions left unanswered. Just a few, for example, are:

Does this information translate to humans?
Are there other ways live longer vs. eating 30-50% less?
How exactly does CR work and can we mimic that other ways?
Are there any risks associated with eating this much less?

Second, the current comparisons between a "typical" diet and a calorie restricted one are limited. For example, those eating a "healthy", Precision Nutrition-style diet would be less likely to suffer the same decline and disease that those eating a "typical" diet would face. So yes, if you're going to keep up your typical North American diet and refuse to make improvements, calorie restriction might be for you. But that might not be a choice you have to make.

After all, big calorie restriction isn't easy. As one of the researchers suggested:

"Calorie restriction is doomed to fail, and will make people miserable in the process of attempting it," said Dr. Jay Phelan, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, and a co-author of the paper."

In the end, eating well, supplementing intelligently, and subscribing to a life-long exercise program may prove to even more powerful than calorie restriction. And you won't have to suffer the restriction, deprivation, and, well, scrawnyness associated with this approach.

After all, I'm assuming that none of us here want to mimic the physique of Mike Linksvayer, example of a calorie restriction proponent. At 6ft, 135 Mike is severly underweight (certainly a candidate for my Scrawny to Brawny program). Interestingly this low body weight presents its own risks as he ages - studies show that those with low body weight and low muscle mass are at a higher risk for a loss of independence into their elder years due to the natural losses in bone and muscle that occur. So Mike may be healthier than his friends now, but watch out Mike as you age!

And here's another interesting piece of data...studies are showing that the nutritional supplement resveratrol may work through the same pathways as calorie restriction to enhance longetivty. Check this discussion out as well as this one and this one.

So, folks, don't stop eating just yet. Although calorie restriction works in animals, it's not yet proven in humans. And if it does turn out to work in humans, we don't know how powerful the effects will be. But more to the point, who cares when calorie restriction is so difficult and carries its own risks including exchanging quality of life for longevity.

Why not learn the good lifestyle habits associated with smart eating, proper supplementation, and lifelong exercise? That way you can eat, exercise, and be merry while living long and living well.
posted by John Berardi

Old 11-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
It's a guessing game....unless you know your exact date of death...and then start undereating and overeating it's going to be different for everyone.

Periods of light eating and fasting is healthy and that is proven especially for people with chronic diseases. Take time off from heavy digestion and your body will thank you everytime.

So every now and then I do a fast and I feel better...but if I go too low in lbs I personally feel sick, weak and terrible....so it's not a life goal of mine for calorie restriction.

IF (intermitent fasting) is better hands down and not what he is talking about above.

Person #1: Hey I do Intermittent fasting
Person #2: Really? How often?
Person #1: Ummmm.....Intermittently

(Message edited by mike_od on November 17, 2006)
Old 11-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I really don't have a problem with IF if it your doing it for performance reasons or to keep bodyfat levels lower. I do have an issue when you do it to extend your life. Can you really tell me doing IF in my 40s will help me eak out a few years more in my 80s or 90s, and frankly...do I want to add years on to my 90s? This is all a balancing act. If I restrict calories, I can't train as hard or recover fast so I sacrafice preformance now for a few years in my 90s...I don't think so. So drastric calorie restriction...don't think so, IF possibly.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
It's not about living to 80..90.....cause most people that age are on so many meds and machines I wouldnt call it living....it's about living and being able to be functional until it's time to go.

Fasting is a healing event....healing may lead to longer life span letting the body regenerate at the cellular level more often while also boosting immune function. Disease is the rate at which cellular destruction is greater than cellular regeneration. Age is a disease. Slow down destruction and speed up regeneratation and you slow down aging process, extend the life of your internal organs (through regeneration) and allow the body to detox harmful chemicals out of the body at an accelerated rate.

IF could be once a week....1 day a month....3 days every 6 months....whatever you make of it.

Cal restriction is just less stress on the body...and that could be 2500 cal a day compared to the avg 4000cal by most people eating processed foods. So in a sense, if you are eating whole real foods you are probably doing cal restriction just by comparitive numbers alone.

But then again...I could get hit by a runaway tree mountain biking today and it would be all for nothing. Life is what you want to make of it...not how long you live it.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I think I read in the performance menu that with IF you can get all the benefits of cr without losing weight or muscle mass. I currently eat between 11am and 5pm and have had no negative impact on LBM or performance if anything I would say I have had improvements based on mirror check.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I think Berardi is right. I also think the Paleo diet/intermittent fasting/certain supplements route might be a great mimicker of Calorie Restriction, and a much funner one. :-)
Old 11-19-2006, 05:15 AM   #7
Sean Harrison

Profile:
As sombody quipped once..sure you may live longer doing this...but those extra years all come at the end!
Old 11-19-2006, 06:39 AM   #8
Travis Loest

Profile:
I think that what we should be working for is added functional years. I personally don't want to live longer if it just means that I'm getting my diaper changed twice as long as I expect to. I want to be active longer and try and retard the decrepitude that seems to be part and parcel of aging.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I have an odd take on this subject. Mouse ad lib diet lives (for example) 3 yrs., another mouse restriced diet by 50% lives 4 years (once again I just pulled these numbers out of my uhhm mind).

Human locked in a room with nothing to do but watch TV and eat allowed as much food as they want, lives 40-50 yrs. Human still locked in room only gets 50% as much food, lives 70-90 yrs?

Is eating a healthy diet that supports muscle mass while keeping BF low caloric restriction? I practice caloric restriction by self control, I could easily eat 30-50% more calories than I do. I would be disgusting, but I could if I just let myself.

For some reason the hardcore CR practiced (look up CRAN website) to the level where you lose your sex drive, can't support your normal body temp, need special cushions in your shoes because you have lost the padding in your feet, can't support what I consider an adequate relative strength level seem intuitively unhealthy to me. I applaud the conviction these practitioners of CR have. We may learn something valuable from their experimentation. I am just not convinced it is for me.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:29 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Craig...conviction or mental health issues? I'm with you brother. I guess what I'm saying is CRAN can not support CF type workouts...at, almost 44 yo, I know all of my "numbers" are great. There is nothing I can't do today that I did 25 years ago, except possible stay out all night drinking and then function the next day! I eat a "senseable" diet and do CF 3/1. Quality of life is great and I believe it will be great until I die at a very old age. I choose to suffer in training, not while restricting calories.