CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

Berardi advocates a very high protein diet in order to rev up the metabolism as well as stave off hunger. What do you guys think?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Depends on what constitiutes a "very high protein" diet.

Berardi writes for (mostly) bodybuilders, which to me means that his dietary advice comes with a very large grain of salt.

His dietary recommendations also tend to be generalized across populations. I don't believe any two people should eat alike.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

To him, it means 1.5 g per lbm... and while I am not interested in bodybuilding, I am interested in training like power-dominant athletes... linebackers, safeties, futbol fullbacks. So I'm torn between eating 0.8 g/lbm as advocated on this site & 1.5 g/lbm advocated on most any other fitness site. I will admit, I am heavily influenced by T-Nation, EliteFTS, and Westside Barbell... and while I don't blindly just purchase some of their magic formulas, I do tend to read, consider, & sometimes even follow most of their articles.

Sincerely,
Kurt

(Message edited by buddhabellybum on February 10, 2006)
Old 02-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
It's up to you.

The evidence is beginning to come out showing that with proper nutrition, the fewer calories one eats, the longer one lives.

So, your decision is then to choose to die earlier, bigger and possibly stronger, or to live longer and be a bit more size-efficient.

I noticed on your profile that you are 24. From my own experience and what I've seen others state, the living longer and not having to force-feed protein all day long become more important the older and wiser one gets.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Eating a high protein diet does not mean that one has to be eating a high calorie diet. Let us not run too far in our assumptions here. I certainly have never come across any studies that speak of shorter life spans due to high protein diets. Personally I eat a very high protein diet and know that I would be unable to sustain the training levels I pursue if I ate less (I have tried... it simply doesn't work).

Also from what I have read of JB's stuff he would never say that two people should eat and train the exact same way. Nor does he train just body builders, but rather does a great deal of nutritional work with high performing athletes.