CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Ken Patterson

Profile:
Red face A Year Later, Let's try this Again...

Hello all,

Well, I started CrossFit for the first time almost a year ago to the day. Had some ups and downs, a couple of injuries but overall I loved it. Unfortunately, I didn’t stick with it and now I'm looking to climb back on the horse and try it again. However, I want to do it smarter this time. Drop the ego and be smarter about how hard I go. I'm nowhere near the athlete I once was but I don't want to go into this half A$$ either.

I guess if I had a question it would be this: What is the best or smartest way to start? Does one just jump into whatever the WOD is and go from there?

I know all about the scaled workouts on BrandX (great site) and have full intensions of using them. I guess I'm just looking for some mentoring or any guidance someone is willing to lend...:-)

Here are my stats and goals...
Just turned 39, 6'2"/270lbs/about 25% BF (I think)
Goal is 210-225 with a little less than average BF (10-15% I think)

I really don't care too much about having the perfect beach body (not trying to be a lady killer anymore...LOL) just want to be functionally fit, healthy, and not ashamed to take my kids to the beach when we go…

Well, guess I'll quit rambling for now. Here's to round two. Hope it goes a lot better than the first...

Ken
Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Re: A Year Later, Let's try this Again...

Well, I would definitely start with a Brandx level and go from there. In addition, I don't know what kind of a form beast you are, but I would get some pvc and drill, drill, drill. Get a perfect air squat, work the OHS, Burgener warmup, etc. Then there is the whole diet issue. I like the Zone. Welcome back and good luck.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Ken Patterson

Profile:

Yeah, I've got a couple of pvc pipes filled with sand and capped for just that purpose. I've always been very strict about form and slow movements on each rep. So I do plan to work on that. The only thing I never really tried before were the Oly lifts. Never had training doing them and I just didn't feel comfortable trying it on my own. Last thing I wanted to do was hurt myself winging clean and jerks or something. Luckily, a CF gym has recently opened in Pensacola and I'm hoping to get some training from them so I can incorporate Oly lifts.

As for diet (hate that word) I've played around with zone and IF and loved them when I was able to do it strict. More energy and felt 100% better overall. However, the family can really through a monkey wrench into it at times...lol But that's my issue and not theirs.

Well, thanks for the reply. I'll try to keep posting so I feel like I'm being held accountable... Have a good one.

Ken
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Patterson View Post
...slow movements on each rep.
...why?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Ken Patterson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
...why?
Well, that's how I learned to supposedly target fast and slow twitch muscle fibers long ago. I don't neccesarily believe that in all aspects now, but it has its merits for certain things. Regardless, that's all in the past and I'm not one that i "stuck" on a certain style or practice when it comes to training. In fact, I feel I'm very opened minded and always listen to those who have something worth while to say...:-)