CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #41
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Kelly Moore's "New lease on life" log

Home from an outstanding Barbell cert this weekend hosted by CrossFit Milwaukee (thank you Ryan Atkins!). This is great cert for beginners and coaches providing immediate and repeatable results. I watched many folks improve their technique (and some achieved 5 rep PRs) within an hour of instruction. If you are new to lifting, don't hesitate to go to Rip's cert; you will save yourself years of wasted effort and you won't have to unlearn bad technique.

This cert is excellent not only for beginners, but also for those of us who have been competing in powerlifting for years. I finally understand why a deadlift that should have been easily lifted acted like it was nailed to the floor or why a deadlift shot up like it was misloaded too light. It was a revelation for me and I have plenty to work on - I have 20+ years of bad habits to unlearn. I wish I had had access to this information years ago when I was competing; I would have had far more consistent and heavier lifts.

I was wondering how much I would learn from this cert considering I've been doing all the lifts (except the cleans) for 20+ years and I was an International Elite ranked powerlifter when I was competing (represented the 111# weight class on world team). Much to my very pleased surprise, I'm willing to bet I learned more than those folks who hadn't done much lifting. Not only do I have a really strong understanding of the gross motor pattern for the lifts, but I understand and can apply the subtle little things that lock all the pieces firmly in place. Great stuff!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #42
Kelly Moore

Profile:

WOD: 7x1 weighted pullups

Warmup: One rep each: 35, 44, 52, 66, 72. Forearms too sore from the weekend's cert fun to continue heavy pullups - this was my workout instead:

No kip, dead hang throat touching bar weighted pullups setted with HSPUs done from 12" stools (head to floor each rep). 3 minute break between rounds:

Pullups: 35x6,6,6,6,6,5 (nose to bar rep 6),5
Full ROM HSPUs: 4,4,4,4,4,4,4

Four reps of ROM HSPUs for seven sets was my limit; that last round was a grinder. That final rep was stunningly slow - I don't know how I managed to push that one up without collapsing.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #43
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Home from an outstanding Barbell cert this weekend hosted by CrossFit Milwaukee (thank you Ryan Atkins!). This is great cert for beginners and coaches providing immediate and repeatable results. I watched many folks improve their technique (and some achieved 5 rep PRs) within an hour of instruction. If you are new to lifting, don't hesitate to go to Rip's cert; you will save yourself years of wasted effort and you won't have to unlearn bad technique.

This cert is excellent not only for beginners, but also for those of us who have been competing in powerlifting for years. I finally understand why a deadlift that should have been easily lifted acted like it was nailed to the floor or why a deadlift shot up like it was misloaded too light. It was a revelation for me and I have plenty to work on - I have 20+ years of bad habits to unlearn. I wish I had had access to this information years ago when I was competing; I would have had far more consistent and heavier lifts.

I was wondering how much I would learn from this cert considering I've been doing all the lifts (except the cleans) for 20+ years and I was an International Elite ranked powerlifter when I was competing (represented the 111# weight class on world team). Much to my very pleased surprise, I'm willing to bet I learned more than those folks who hadn't done much lifting. Not only do I have a really strong understanding of the gross motor pattern for the lifts, but I understand and can apply the subtle little things that lock all the pieces firmly in place. Great stuff!
Thanks for this review, Kelly. I'm going to the one in Soquel in November.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #44
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Theresa - you will be glad you went.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #45
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Pose Running:

4 x400 meter runs, 3 minute rest between rounds

1:26
1:30
1:28
1:35

I could feel this was going to be rough today; I'm still feeling the effects of the weekend's barbell cert fun and the 170+ burpees on Sunday (thanks Dina!). I struggled hard the last two rounds.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #46
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Five rounds for time of:
40 pound Dumbbells split clean, 15 reps
21 Pull-ups

25# dumbbells, kipping pullups: 14:20...those dumbbell cleans fried my forearms. Had to break the last three sets of pullups.

1 mile run with tempo trainer set at .64 = 7:11. Not hard, not easy. About a 7.5 out of 10. Was able to talk when finished and had enough for a good short sprint if I choose to break the cadence. Focus on not breaking at the hips....I can feel things coming together when I hold this frame. Not able to hold it long, but it's little bites of the elephant.....
Old 10-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #47
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Seven rounds for time of:

7 reps Full ROM HSPUs (hands on 12" stools)
21 No Momentum Back Extensions (dead stop at hang)

22:45

First round had unbroken HSPUs; had one or maybe two more in me before needing a break. Round two broke at 5; rounds 3, 4 and 5 broke at four reps. I ran out of strength on rounds 6 and 7, barely making 3 consecutive for each. All rounds finished out with singles after a max effort at consecutives. Amazing how fast full ROM HSPUs run out of pushing power!

No breaks on the back extensions, each round taking approx 43 seconds. (Recorded so I have an idea how much rest I had between rounds of HSPUs).

I altered today's WOD to work on the HSPUs; I will start putting in more focused work on them as I plan to make an assault on a sub 10 minute Righteous Dead Stop Diane next year.....I need to get started now. Full ROM HSPUs and double bodyweight no bounce deadlifts is going to require some attention to happen.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #48
Kelly Moore

Profile:

I'm falling behind in my logging again..

Shoulder can't handle snatches so the Snatch singles WOD didn't happen.

Beltless Back Squat: 195x5x5 (below parallel)
Ring MUs: 2x5 (full elbow extension, full hang to hang reps)
Strict no kip dead hang pullups. 3x7x25# (collarbones or upper chest touching bar)
Full ROM HSPUs: 3x5 (hands on 12" stools, head touching ground each rep)

3 minute break between squats and MUs; pullups and HSPUs done with 3 minute break between each couplet.

"Big Cindy" with a 20# vest:

20 rounds + 5 pullups, 10 pushups and 11 squats. Pullups were to base of neck ROM, pushups done off 2" blocks to make up for the vest thickness and squats just below parallel with full hip extension.

Feeling fatigued from yesterday's back squat/weighted pullup/full ROM HSPU workout - started breaking the pushups after round 6 and the squats were unpleasant.

I skipped yesterday's Fifties WOD. My shoulders are still extremely sore from Big Cindy and the rolfer doing 2 1/4 hours of work in my armpits immediately after the workout. I was so sore I didn't want to do any workout (very unusual for me) so I drove Mom to Green Bay Neville Museum for an art exhibit. I was very surprised to see that my drawings, scratchboard art, colored pencil and woodburnings would not have looked out of place here. I really, really need to pursue my art with serious intent. Something CrossFit or feline related would be very easy to work with.

Today: Still amazingly sore. I tried lifting my 35# kayak onto the roof of my car and it was ugly. I planned to go kayaking for a bit but my shoulders will not be able to recover. Went for a motorcycle ride instead.

4x400 meter runs - 1:27, 1:29, 1:29, 1:30. 3 minute break between rounds. I did these without the temp timer. I was slightly faster, but all the sets were poorly paced. I would start far too fast and struggle horribly the final half of each round.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #49
David Schneider

Profile:

AHHHHHHHHHH!

You're awesome!

Great work going on here...
Old 10-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #50
Delita Wright

Profile:

Kelly, good to see you back at logging again - great WOs. I really enjoy reading your stuff.