CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #31
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Re: Kelly Moore's "New lease on life" log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Theresa,

I'm sorry to say I won't be there. I am scheduled to be in St Louis for the KB cert those days.

Come to a Midwest cert - I'm much more likely to be somewhere I can drive!
A KB cert? Isn't that kind of like Rippetoe going to an o-lifting cert!!!

Karin
Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #32
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Karin,

It does sound a little odd, but I enjoy meeting old friends, other CrossFitters and Jeff is a great guy. I also really like seeing CrossFit gyms....visiting gyms is something I do when I'm on vacation!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #33
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Participated in the 5k run on Saturday, but it didn't turn out the way I thought. I didn't sleep much the night before - I just didn't feel good. I didn't feel good when I woke up either and wasn't hungry. (I always wake up hungry!). Actually, I felt nauseous but chalked it up to nerves.

Found the site without trouble but I arrived sweating, sick and shaky. I used the public facilities to pray to the porcelain goddess several times. I should have backed out at that point, but I was determined to do this race.

I finished the run posting a lousy 25:12 time. I was very disappointed as I heard a man a bit ahead of me at the 1 mile marker yell out 7 minutes. I just could not hold myself together while fighting bouts of nausea. I started out running about a 7:30ish pace which would have made me very happy...under 23 minutes for a 5k would have been a huge PR for me.

I don't know what got me. Damn. Next time!!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #34
Kelly Moore

Profile:

No Isabel for me...my left shoulder just doesn't like ballistic overhead movements these days, even with the meager amount of snatch weight I use. I know I'm not doing the motion right anyway, so why put my shoulder in jeopardy for no good reason?

Both my shoulders are muscle sore this morning after kayaking for hours yesterday (past midnight - it is beautiful on the Lakes when it is dark!). I hope to get out for a little while again today as I will be in Arizona for the next three days.

Here the WOD I created instead of Isabel....dead stop deadlifts are no joke. Since the weakest part of my deadlift regardless of style is breaking bar from the floor, removing the floor bounce really kicked my butt.

5 rounds for time:

5 230# Dead Stop Deadlifts (double bodyweight)
3 Ring Muscleups

7:46 - Deadlifts were beltless, straight bar, standard stance with no bounce off the floor - much more taxing than the bouncing style. Had to break the last two sets briefly to reset my starting position....the last thing I want is a messed up lower back. Better to stop and reset than to push through a bad rep at this weight.

Muscleups were started and ended with straight elbows each rep, no "jump off" reps. All sets unbroken. It's odd that I can do MUs and full ROM HSPUs without shoulder pain - but then again, they aren't a fast overhead movements. Push presses and jerks I feel immediately and with definite, intense meaning.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #35
Ann Magdziasz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
I finished the run posting a lousy 25:12 time.
Well gee, that's almost as "lousy" as my best time at 24:50ish!

I have learned to pace myself at the beginning, it always seems to be between 2.25 and 2.75 mi that I think nerves kick in and I start to mentally loose it. Nothing beats the 5K I ran 2 years ago, when like you, I was really not well. About 1.25 miles along, things got real bad to where I scared some teenage boy running near me. I still finished the race around 28 mins and ahead of the hubby and 2 of our friends, although at that point in our lives, that's not saying much.

I guess with that type of attitude I was destined to be a CrossFitter, just wish I found it earlier, maybe then we could be lifting ridiculous amounts of weight together, I'll just read/watch in awe for now!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #36
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hey Ann,

Sorry we weren't able to connect at the Chicago running cert. Your email got buried in my spam filter and I just found it by accident today. Any chance you are heading to Milwaukee this weekend for Rip's barbell cert? I will be there both days to have Rip eyeball my lousy self-taught lifting.

I have been pacing myself using the tempo timer. It's hard but mindless work to maintain a steady pace ... beep/right foot...beep/right foot....but it keeps me from doing the airborne shuffle. I really don't know what the overall time works out to yet at a certain tempo; I'm just trying to hang on to the beep.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #37
Kelly Moore

Profile:

I have a bit of catching up to do:

Sept 27:

Spent a great day at a CrossFit Running cert hosted by Chicago Iron Sports. Beautiful weather and a great group of people made this a memorable time along with the 4x600ish meter runs (those were long "400s", thanks a lot Rudy!) we did in the morning for filming.

Finished the day with the day's posted WOD of 400 meter runs and 50 squats for four rounds. The runs were probably less than 400 meters as we ran around the block, but dodging people, dogs, light poles and baby carriages while careening around the blind corners made it more challenging! My time was something like 9:50 for the WOD; I don't really remember. It was inspiring to witness so many folks displaying so much heart despite the pain I know they were feeling. A great group of people I would be proud to work out with anytime.

***I'm still sore today from that WOD. I knew I was going to be sore as I was working to hold a relatively fast pace and deeper than parallel squats - competition will do that to a person!***

Sept 28: WOD 5-5-5-5-5 push jerks

5x5 full ROM HSPUs with 5 minute break between sets. Hands on 12" stools so when the top of my head touched the floor my hands were below my shoulders for each rep. I made all five sets of five without breaking any set....I'll try this another time with 4 minute rest breaks to see if I can do it.

5 minute break

Not sure how my left shoulder would handle a ballistic movement like push jerks so I worked light and really had to focus on getting under the bar fast (shoulders fatigued from the HSPUs). 3 minute break between sets:

75x5
85x5
95x5
95x5
95x5

All reps crisp and quick. Shoulder started to hurt so no more reps or weight.

Sept 30: WOD - Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5

200x5x5 - Back Squats: beltless, barefoot, below parallel each rep
35x5x5 - Weighted Pullups: No kip, dead hang, throat touching bar each rep
90x5x5 - Barbell presses: knees locked, no momentum

Legs still stiff and sore from Saturday's run/squat thrashing at the Chicago running cert to go any heavier. The weight was fairly easy even as sore as I was - 215x5x5 would have been about right if I was fresh.

Off to start brewing some Kombucha!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #38
Kelly Moore

Profile:

"Nate" WOD:

As Rx'd: 15 rounds + 2 Ring MUs

My goal was to beat my former best of 13 rounds and to have no breaks during any of the exercises. Achieved both! Breathing/chalking breaks happened between swings and MUs.

Ring MUs - started and ended every rep with full elbow extension; no "jump off" or half reps

Headstand pushups touching top of head to floor - 2" blocks under each hand to make up the ROM difference between nose to floor and head to floor (I don't want to excessively arch my back). All reps started and ended with full elbow extension; no half reps.

72# kb swings - first rep on each set chin height; all the other reps forehead or just higher than my head height.

A couple hours later:

4 x 400 meter runs 1:38, 1:32, 1:37, 1:31 Slight uphill, slight downhill runs with tempo timer set at .60 - focus on not allowing my feet to land out too far in front of myself and to find and maintain a body lean without breaking at the hips. These flaws were pointed out at the running cert this past weekend....I'll get this Pose running yet! Hey, at least I don't heel strike anymore and I have quite a bit more air time than ground time now.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #39
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Finally got a chance to workout today....busy!!

With a continuously running clock do one 135 pound Clean and Jerk the first minute, two 135 pound Clean and Jerks the second minute, three 135 pound Clean and Jerks the third minute... continuing as long as you are able.

Did not do C&J....all my bars are packed in the car for the CrossFit Milwaukee barbell cert this weekend, so it was dreaded burpees for me instead:

14 rounds + 9 burpees. All burpees had chest, thighs and usually my chin on the ground with a jump of at least 4" and an overhead clap. I was proud that I didn't break any of the sets until round 13....I'm usually not good for more than 10 consecutive.

Just for my future reference...

10 burpees in 26 seconds
12 burpees in 35 seconds
13 burpees in 49 seconds - easy to see where I fell apart.

Nasty little workout! Good one to remember for vacations.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:21 AM   #40
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Off to the Barbell Cert in Milwaukee WI - I can't wait to finally meet Rip!