CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #51
Gant Grimes
Departed Gant Grimes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 1970
 
Posts: 1,549
Re: Hybrid programs

Rip is still getting it done. Come by late and night and he's squatting, deadlifting, or dragging a sled down the dark street.

Enjoying the discussion above.

Joey, would you mind sharing some numbers (if not on the board, in a PM?). I'm not sure how strong I will get/expect to get/want to get. I'd just like a little reference since you've gone down this road and are pleased with your numbers.

I'm not trying to gain mass (other than moving up in my weight class a little bit). At this point, I've gained muscle and lost fat but am about the same weight (except for the week after I plowed through a chocolate cake, gallon of ice cream and rack of ribs--my cheat meals are just as intense as my workouts).

I've never measured, but I have a heavy dose of IIA and IIB. However, I'm able to work for long periods of time at moderately high intensity if need be (e.g. the Heroes workouts last November). I don't know. I don't really take this into account when programming, either. I just think of hard, heavy things to do and do them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #52
Ken Manning
Member Ken Manning is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dalton  PA
Posts: 2
Re: Hybrid programs

Gant, I've been following this thread and your personal experiment with great interest. I just had a few questions regarding your program:

1) how do you go about exercise selection? Do you stick with the same exercises for a specific amount of time throughout the program or switch them up often in a random fashion? I assumed since you were talking about using linear periodization for most ME movements that the movements remain constant. Same question for DE exercises.

2) Is each week/cycle structured in the same pattern, as far as specific days whose primary focus is ME or DE or conditioning, etc..?

3) could you give an example week with specific breakdowns of exercises, sets, reps, metcon workouts, etc.?

I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this. I've been following the main page WOD since the end of January, and prior to that workout mainly consisted of powerlifting movements with some DE stuff (loose louie simmons conjugate method). My entire exercise routine was completely void of any type of conditioning. No aerobic, no metcon, nothing. So, since starting CF, I've seen tremendous improvements in my overall fitness, but strength has dropped off some or simply stagnated in some lifts (I've been stuck at 165 in OHP since beginning CF).

Sorry for the rambling post, just looking for some more info!

Thanks again
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #53
Leonid Soubbotine
Affiliate Leonid Soubbotine is offline
 
Leonid Soubbotine's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longwood  Fl
Posts: 1,586
Re: Hybrid programs

Gant, Joey: are you guys sure you're not overthinking things?

Good discussion though.
I agree with CF Hybrid program for the last year+.

Went from 15 min Helen and 10 min Fran to what you can see below (haven't retested recently) and being the 3rd place finisher at the SouthEast CF Challenge getting 2nd place in the hopper being an unusually large CF'er (6'3 and anything under 220 lbs for me is too light).

My programming hasn't been as extensive or complicated but it definately has been altered a lot to work on specific areas and weaknesses a whole lot.
__________________
CrossFit Evolution
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #54
Júlíus Magnússon
Departed Júlíus Magnússon is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
 
Posts: 1,282
Re: Hybrid programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
On the subject of reverse hypers, unfortunately there are very few of them around. Anyone think it would work to lie on a high bench and hold a dumbbell between your feet?
What exactly is a reverse hyper? I googled the term and all I got were YouTube videos of some people using a *** machine.

Is this (wfs) really what you're talking about?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #55
Brandon Oto
Member Brandon Oto is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz  CA
Posts: 3,001
Re: Hybrid programs

There are a few variants on the device, but yes. It was popularized by Westside and it's a valuable posterior chain exercise (thus assistance work for squat and dead); aside from just being another way to work things, it's one of the only posterior exercises that's done with the spine completely supported (unlikely, say, a hip extension), so it's very safe and kind on the back. It's also quite nice for rehab, for the same reason.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #56
Joey Powell
Member Joey Powell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prescott  AZ
Posts: 569
Re: Hybrid programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
What exactly is a reverse hyper? I googled the term and all I got were YouTube videos of some people using a *** machine.

Is this (wfs) really what you're talking about?
This may be the single most uninformed, yet confident comment I have ever read on this board.

Gant, I will send you a PM shortly. Thanks for your patience since I hi-jacked yet another quality thread of yours.

Steve, now I see what you are getting at.

Actual bar speed is what I care about on the low end (<60%), not the high end. The bar speed is a "Gauge" for me to tell if the weight is in the right range and not be in the sarco range. I have gotten a lot of practice with this since starting DE work, especially with heavy chain work and bands.

On the high end >90% I just try to engage everything I have to move the bar fast, correctly, and do my damnedest to not rupture an eyeball or windsock my grommet.

Though, you are right , in reality it sure ain't moving fast.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #57
Steven Anderson
Member Steven Anderson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jacksonville  Fl
Posts: 489
Re: Hybrid programs

Gant, Joey and Steven, you guys should all be doctors. REALLY, the discussion you are creating is really amazing and I am enjoying it immensley.

Joey, I definitely see where you are coming from and have experienced alot of the same results. I did the workout the other day that called for 15 reps of a 95lb. OHS and then a 400m run done for rounds for time. By the end of the workout and for days after I was pumped, had DOMS and none of my f*****g shirts fit! I hate the associated sarco hypertrophy and am in no need of mass (even though I am only 5'9" 160lbs, I like my lean structure).

Steven Low on the other had has made me see the light with some of his program suggestions as well as what I have looked over on Gant's journal.

Brandon, after years of "extreme" conditioning and being a firefighter I now question what the point is of such things as lowering my "Murph" time (it's in the low 30's) and wanting to "go for so long." I mean what "real world experience" unless in the military (maybe) is one going to truly need the stamina to go that hard and that long for any other reason than the crossfit games? I sure didn't see Faber doing 100 air squats while destroying Pulver the other night. Being a firefighter and fighting fire I've noticed that when doing WOD after WOD I was actually so CNS fried that my "work capacity" during an actual fire (when work capacity matters the most) was f****d. Since concentrating more on g-nastics, O'ly lifts and getting back into sprinting, my energy level has gone up, my enthusiam for workouts has gone up and when a metcon does come around, I still smash it. And when I'm in a fire and moving stuff around, it ain't nuthin' but a thang to move that s**t! Just as people question the amount of fat one should be taking in while Zoning or going Paleo people still question how much "cardio or metcon" they think they really need to get fit and feel that if they give it up and eat all this fat that they're just going to go to s**t.

But, I do understand the desire to compete and conquer certain WOD's that do come up. It's fun and it's alway changing (which keeps things interesting) But, when I'm doing them ALL THE TIME and then I find myself to tired to have sex with my latin wife, hmmm, SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE.

Last edited by Steven Anderson : 06-05-2008 at 07:11 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #58
Brandon Oto
Member Brandon Oto is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz  CA
Posts: 3,001
Re: Hybrid programs

? I'm not arguing for WoDs. Hell, I'm one of the guys who's been causing trouble by suggesting cutting down on them.

I was just reflecting that you DO sacrifice something by going only to workouts in the sub-10 minute range, and that's obviously the capacity for longer efforts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #59
Gant Grimes
Departed Gant Grimes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 1970
 
Posts: 1,549
Re: Hybrid programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Anderson View Post
Gant, Joey and Steven, you guys should all be doctors. REALLY, the discussion you are creating is really amazing and I am enjoying it immensley.

Joey, I definitely see where you are coming from and have experienced alot of the same results. I did the workout the other day that called for 15 reps of a 95lb. OHS and then a 400m run done for rounds for time. By the end of the workout and for days after I was pumped, had DOMS and none of my f*****g shirts fit! I hate the associated sarco hypertrophy and am in no need of mass (even though I am only 5'9" 160lbs, I like my lean structure).

Steven Low on the other had has made me see the light with some of his program suggestions as well as what I have looked over on Gant's journal.

Brandon, after years of "extreme" conditioning and being a firefighter I now question what the point is of such things as lowering my "Murph" time (it's in the low 30's) and wanting to "go for so long." I mean what "real world experience" unless in the military (maybe) is one going to truly need the stamina to go that hard and that long for any other reason than the crossfit games? I sure didn't see Faber doing 100 air squats while destroying Pulver the other night. Being a firefighter and fighting fire I've noticed that when doing WOD after WOD I was actually so CNS fried that my "work capacity" during an actual fire (when work capacity matters the most) was f****d. Since concentrating more on g-nastics, O'ly lifts and getting back into sprinting, my energy level has gone up, my enthusiam for workouts has gone up and when a metcon does come around, I still smash it. And when I'm in a fire and moving stuff around, it ain't nuthin' but a thang to move that s**t! Just as people question the amount of fat one should be taking in while Zoning or going Paleo people still question how much "cardio or metcon" they think they really need to get fit and feel that if they give it up and eat all this fat that they're just going to go to s**t.

But, I do understand the desire to compete and conquer certain WOD's that do come up. It's fun and it's alway changing (which keeps things interesting) But, when I'm doing them ALL THE TIME and then I find myself to tired to have sex with my latin wife, hmmm, SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE.
Funny post with an unexpected left turn at the end. I agree that exercise-induced abstinence is not a good thing.

Now I have an image of you and Joey really turn into the Incredible Hulk after the WOD.

I look at the long day-to-day workouts now and think "what a f'n nightmare." Yesterday I hit a deadlift PR by 12 pounds (after a 16 pound PR last week). I attribute it to the 5 rounds of Cindy I did the day before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
I was just reflecting that you DO sacrifice something by going only to workouts in the sub-10 minute range, and that's obviously the capacity for longer efforts.
Non-CFers look at us and think there's no way we can develop meaningful fitness in 20-30 minutes a day. Don't fall into that trap regarding this program.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 06-05-2008 at 08:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #60
Matt Thomas
Banned Matt Thomas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 3,648
Re: Hybrid programs

Gant, do you make any provisions at all for stalling? Do you just keep changing rep schemes if you stall? My trick so far has been to change exercises. If I fail on front squats I just move to back squat for a little while (something I kind of stole from the DC method a while back), but that'd be pretty tough since you've got the 3 major ones all in the same week
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warm up programs Matt Rodgers Starting 18 08-06-2007 08:56 PM
Various sqt programs Mike Burgener Exercises 6 12-14-2006 08:37 AM
Stretching programs Brooks Dennis Ross Starting 9 03-07-2006 08:33 AM
Jumping programs Kevin Roddy Fitness 9 02-11-2004 04:24 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.