CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
David Strand

Profile:
Re: 5 exercises for awesome Abs

My friend is a really high level swimmer and he showed me this ab workout once. I agree that the heavy lifts are excelent for building a strong core, but this workout is undenaibly challenging for even the best athletes:

1 Min Swim Kick: Keep shoulder blades off ground to engage upper abs as well as kicking, with straight legs, your feet from about 6-12 inches off the floor.
Rest ten seconds
1 Min. Bicicle situps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyRXKkujxPM (WFS)
Rest ten seconds
1 Min Front Plank (should be self explanitory)
Rest ten seconds

Feeling good? You just completed 1/6 of the workout. Repeat the first two excercises, but do both sides for side plank (you should be at 3 sets now) and then repeat. It takes around, if I remember correctly, 22 mins.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
John McCord

Profile:

22 mins you'll never get back.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #23
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Good post.
Thanks, Pearse. I appreciate it.

I'm definitely skeptical of the ab routines many workout people do. I suspect that the lack of a really good way to measure useful abdominal strength hampers efforts to find the best/most appropriate ways to train the midsection.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #24
David Strand

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCord View Post
22 mins you'll never get back.
hahaha, ouch. Just offering the best excercise I knew, considering the subject is about excercises for awesome abs. But I can see why people would find ab-specific excercises to be a waste of time.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:48 AM   #25
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I suspect that the lack of a really good way to measure useful abdominal strength hampers efforts to find the best/most appropriate ways to train the midsection.
See how hard a hit you can take to the mid-section. That's a good measure of abdominal strength. There's also the ability to do strength moves such as a standing roll-out, a dragon flag or other similar moves. I'd say those are good measures of abdominal strength.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
See how hard a hit you can take to the mid-section. That's a good measure of abdominal strength. There's also the ability to do strength moves such as a standing roll-out, a dragon flag or other similar moves. I'd say those are good measures of abdominal strength.
True , though those aren't very quantifiable. And many moves, like a dragon flag, require more than just abdominals.

Ultimately there is just nothing universal. People can come on here and say "my deadlift went from 300 to 450 on training program X" but you can't make an equivalently quantitative argument for abdominal strength.

Maybe we could make something up and try to get it to catch on? How about max weighted hanging leg raise? You attach weight to your ankles, hang on a bar, and slowly bring your legs to an L-position.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #27
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Now that sounds like a fun idea... I think I'll try that today. It'll be harder for taller people, that's for sure.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #28
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
True , though those aren't very quantifiable. And many moves, like a dragon flag, require more than just abdominals.

Ultimately there is just nothing universal. People can come on here and say "my deadlift went from 300 to 450 on training program X" but you can't make an equivalently quantitative argument for abdominal strength.

Maybe we could make something up and try to get it to catch on? How about max weighted hanging leg raise? You attach weight to your ankles, hang on a bar, and slowly bring your legs to an L-position.
Weighted crunches on an inflatable exercise ball and the cable crunch are both quantifiable, as long as there isn't any cheating involved, which is the same with just about any other exercise anyways.