CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-13-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Can't Pose...

So I've been practicing, watched the video's, read the instructions...yada yada, and I can't pose run. Any more than 400m and my legs just feel exhausted and I have to drop back to my heels. I'm not toe running, not striding too far forward, etc. I recently read a post about a guy who went out and posed for 10K his first time...what am I missing?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Can't Pose...

I read that post too, and though that there was no way he was doing it correctly... but who knows.

I've been running in VFF's, which tend to correct your stride for you. I'm not sure I'm "POSEing", but it's certainly helped.

I don't have much to add, but I wanted to chime in on with a "wtf?" on that 10k first time pose-r story.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

A friend who I've turned on to CF also quickly took to Pose Running.
A bit frustrated...
Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

What shoes are you wearing?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Nike Air Triax Structure 11
Why would that make a difference? Other than being a bit heavy...
Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Thickness of the heel is the big one. Thicker heel = harder to run POSE or forefoot.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
I took a look at them. I doubt they're going to be very helpful. Huge gap between your foot and the ground due to the amount of padding. You kind of need to feel your feet as they touch the ground.
If you go to posetech.com there are some suggestions for good shoes to POSE in. The good thing about POSE-friendly shoes is that they are very cheap. I am awaiting my 2nd pair of Nike Waffle V Racers -- $40 including shipping and handling.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
If you go to posetech.com there are some suggestions for good shoes to POSE in. The good thing about POSE-friendly shoes is that they are very cheap. I am awaiting my 2nd pair of Nike Waffle V Racers -- $40 including shipping and handling.
Posetech has some great suggestions, but I had a really hard time finding many of them! It seems that a lot of the shoes that CFers like are the ones that are being discontinued.

I wasn't ready to go VFF yet, so I was going to try the Nike Free. But, I wanted the 3.0 and couldn't find any, even on the Nike website. Puma H-Streets are discontinued, and I found some...but not in my size. I finally settled on Puma Salohs, which are the 2nd generation of the H-Streets so also being discontinued (K-Streets are the newest). The good thing was that they were on sale at the Puma website for $46. I spent about 2 hours online searching for different options, and I'm a pretty experienced online shopper, LOL.

Anyway, after all that effort, I can't wait for them to arrive so I can try them out. I'm just mad that I spent $119 on a pair of regular, clunky Asics two months before I started CF.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Posetech has some great suggestions, but I had a really hard time finding many of them! It seems that a lot of the shoes that CFers like are the ones that are being discontinued.

I wasn't ready to go VFF yet, so I was going to try the Nike Free. But, I wanted the 3.0 and couldn't find any, even on the Nike website. Puma H-Streets are discontinued, and I found some...but not in my size. I finally settled on Puma Salohs, which are the 2nd generation of the H-Streets so also being discontinued (K-Streets are the newest). The good thing was that they were on sale at the Puma website for $46. I spent about 2 hours online searching for different options, and I'm a pretty experienced online shopper, LOL.

Anyway, after all that effort, I can't wait for them to arrive so I can try them out. I'm just mad that I spent $119 on a pair of regular, clunky Asics two months before I started CF.

I agree. That's the problem with athletic shoes -- they are frequently discontinued. Essentially any cross country-style flat will be suitable for learning POSE.

My Waffle Racers just arrived a few minutes ago. Now I've got two pairs and I wouldn't use anything else for any distance.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I agree. That's the problem with athletic shoes -- they are frequently discontinued. Essentially any cross country-style flat will be suitable for learning POSE.

My Waffle Racers just arrived a few minutes ago. Now I've got two pairs and I wouldn't use anything else for any distance.
Just looked at the Waffle Racers. Cute (okay, sorry, I'm a girl). They're like my old school Pumas, which would be perfect to run in, but I need a half size bigger for running. If I like the Salohs, I'm going to go ahead and buy a second pair before I can't find them anymore!