CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Eric R Cohen
Member Eric R Cohen is offline
 
Eric R Cohen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southampton  NY
Posts: 887
Can't Pose...

So I've been practicing, watched the video's, read the instructions...yada yada, and I can't pose run. Any more than 400m and my legs just feel exhausted and I have to drop back to my heels. I'm not toe running, not striding too far forward, etc. I recently read a post about a guy who went out and posed for 10K his first time...what am I missing?
__________________
Eric Cohen. CF Level 1, 178 5'9".
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
Member Lawrence "Bo" Boland III is offline
 
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fairfax  VA
Posts: 1,645
Re: Can't Pose...

I read that post too, and though that there was no way he was doing it correctly... but who knows.

I've been running in VFF's, which tend to correct your stride for you. I'm not sure I'm "POSEing", but it's certainly helped.

I don't have much to add, but I wanted to chime in on with a "wtf?" on that 10k first time pose-r story.
__________________
30/m/5'9"/175-ish lbs Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Eric R Cohen
Member Eric R Cohen is offline
 
Eric R Cohen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southampton  NY
Posts: 887
Re: Can't Pose...

A friend who I've turned on to CF also quickly took to Pose Running.
A bit frustrated...
__________________
Eric Cohen. CF Level 1, 178 5'9".
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Can't Pose...

What shoes are you wearing?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Eric R Cohen
Member Eric R Cohen is offline
 
Eric R Cohen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southampton  NY
Posts: 887
Re: Can't Pose...

Nike Air Triax Structure 11
Why would that make a difference? Other than being a bit heavy...
__________________
Eric Cohen. CF Level 1, 178 5'9".
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Andrew H. Meador
Member Andrew H. Meador is offline
 
Andrew H. Meador's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Williamstown  MA
Posts: 917
Re: Can't Pose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Nike Air Triax Structure 11
Why would that make a difference? Other than being a bit heavy...
Thickness of the heel is the big one. Thicker heel = harder to run POSE or forefoot.
__________________
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings. -W. Mozart
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Can't Pose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Nike Air Triax Structure 11
Why would that make a difference? Other than being a bit heavy...
I took a look at them. I doubt they're going to be very helpful. Huge gap between your foot and the ground due to the amount of padding. You kind of need to feel your feet as they touch the ground.
If you go to posetech.com there are some suggestions for good shoes to POSE in. The good thing about POSE-friendly shoes is that they are very cheap. I am awaiting my 2nd pair of Nike Waffle V Racers -- $40 including shipping and handling.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Can't Pose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
If you go to posetech.com there are some suggestions for good shoes to POSE in. The good thing about POSE-friendly shoes is that they are very cheap. I am awaiting my 2nd pair of Nike Waffle V Racers -- $40 including shipping and handling.
Posetech has some great suggestions, but I had a really hard time finding many of them! It seems that a lot of the shoes that CFers like are the ones that are being discontinued.

I wasn't ready to go VFF yet, so I was going to try the Nike Free. But, I wanted the 3.0 and couldn't find any, even on the Nike website. Puma H-Streets are discontinued, and I found some...but not in my size. I finally settled on Puma Salohs, which are the 2nd generation of the H-Streets so also being discontinued (K-Streets are the newest). The good thing was that they were on sale at the Puma website for $46. I spent about 2 hours online searching for different options, and I'm a pretty experienced online shopper, LOL.

Anyway, after all that effort, I can't wait for them to arrive so I can try them out. I'm just mad that I spent $119 on a pair of regular, clunky Asics two months before I started CF.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Can't Pose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Posetech has some great suggestions, but I had a really hard time finding many of them! It seems that a lot of the shoes that CFers like are the ones that are being discontinued.

I wasn't ready to go VFF yet, so I was going to try the Nike Free. But, I wanted the 3.0 and couldn't find any, even on the Nike website. Puma H-Streets are discontinued, and I found some...but not in my size. I finally settled on Puma Salohs, which are the 2nd generation of the H-Streets so also being discontinued (K-Streets are the newest). The good thing was that they were on sale at the Puma website for $46. I spent about 2 hours online searching for different options, and I'm a pretty experienced online shopper, LOL.

Anyway, after all that effort, I can't wait for them to arrive so I can try them out. I'm just mad that I spent $119 on a pair of regular, clunky Asics two months before I started CF.

I agree. That's the problem with athletic shoes -- they are frequently discontinued. Essentially any cross country-style flat will be suitable for learning POSE.

My Waffle Racers just arrived a few minutes ago. Now I've got two pairs and I wouldn't use anything else for any distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Can't Pose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I agree. That's the problem with athletic shoes -- they are frequently discontinued. Essentially any cross country-style flat will be suitable for learning POSE.

My Waffle Racers just arrived a few minutes ago. Now I've got two pairs and I wouldn't use anything else for any distance.
Just looked at the Waffle Racers. Cute (okay, sorry, I'm a girl). They're like my old school Pumas, which would be perfect to run in, but I need a half size bigger for running. If I like the Salohs, I'm going to go ahead and buy a second pair before I can't find them anymore!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pose running help Brian Kuczma Digital Coaching 0 02-17-2009 02:59 PM
Help with POSE Running Luke Hitt Digital Coaching 8 02-17-2009 09:48 AM
pose running William Mahoney Exercises 4 01-21-2009 07:27 PM
pose chi? Lou Cabales Exercises 7 09-23-2008 07:41 AM
POSE Log Elliot Fuller Digital Coaching 6 02-20-2008 11:04 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.