CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Attended CF Southwest's KB seminar yesterday. Very nice. Got to meet a couple of the other posters, whom I will let introduce themselves/comment here should they desire.

My biggest learning point (Gosh...did I just say that...ugh...) was how to properly do the clean and the snatch. I had a joke about that, but I'll refrain here. :-)

I have Pavel's RKC video and, while amusing, it had nothing on HOW do to them in terms of technique, that I recall....I'll admit to having watched it last about 4 months ago, so I could be wrong.

I do not recall the DVD having any info on the "punch through" for the KB snatch.

Ken's demos of the punch-through, and just letting the KB "fall" naturally from the rack position, then reversing the process were worth the sign-up fee alone.

I brought my KB, an adjustable US Kettlebells version, which allows the user to adjust from 35 - 70 lbs in about 4 pound increments, by swapping various plates in the Kettlebell (www.uskettlebells.com for info). (Ken, I was wrong on the weight...it starts at 16kg/35 lbs.)

While this feature may be good, I have yet to use it because, at this time, 32 pounds is more than enough for me except for maybe the 2-handed swing.

I could see an advantage to having it adjust, but I am unsure I'd end up using the small increments they have. IMO, 10 pound increments would be better. Another disadvantage is that you cannot go lighter (for me, for windmills or bent-presses), though they have an adjustable model from 9-25 pounds (4-12kg), and they are also bigger than the same size standard KB for the lighter weights (i.e. the 16kg USKB is bigger than the DD or Gill of the same weight. the USKB's size is about that of a 1.5 or 2 pood KB).

The biggest drawback I can see from this style of Kettlebell, however, is the fastening system. While secure (it uses a long hex bolt to bolt the plates into the handle), if you have to dump the KB on anything but, say, grass, I'd worry about the bold shearing. Granted, I'd rather have to go replace a bolt than my head, but that's a point of weakness. With a regular KB, you might 'dent' the concrete, however, so perhaps it's a wash.

Below is a listing of the topics we covered in the two hour seminar. Granted, it's just scratching the surface, but with only 3 attendees (including myself), there was ample time to get a good handle on the form of the various exercises and lifts.

So, in closing, I'd strongly suggest those new to Kettlebells to spend the $50-$75 it might take to get some good instruction. Your forearms will thank you for it. :-)

Thanks again, Ken!

TimW
Phoenix

Kettlebell Workshop Topics

Foundations:
* Swings—2 arm, 1 arm
* “Rack” position
* Rack drops (clean drops)
* Cleans
* Presses
* Push press/Push jerk (legs straight on catch/legs bend on catch)
* Bent-arm Swings
* Snatch

Hand-to-hand:
* Around-the-world (ATW)
* Figure 8
* ATW+Figure 8
* Tactical Lunge (pass kb underneath leg)
* Tactical Lunge+ATW
* Hot Potato
* Hot Potato+ATW+Figure 8

Miscellaneous
* Bottoms up clean
* Bottoms up press
* Windmills
* Bent Press
* Side Press

Old 01-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Hey Tim, thanks for the kind words. As mentioned, many other people have helped me in the past (and to paraphrase others here, I will gladly steal techniques from anybody I can). Glad you enjoyed it.