CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Arturo Ybarra

Profile:
Hey everyone, I just moved into a 1 BR/1 BA apt this past Monday and was looking to turn my dining room into a mini-workout area. The center piece was going to be a Hoist Fitness Tree priced at ~$500. Or suggestions for equipment that has the same type of capability. My dining room is approx 9x8x9 and was also going to lay some interlocking flooring on the carpet for some steadfastness.

I was curious if anyone has any prior knowledge of this machine which handles chin-ups, leg lifts, dips, push-ups and the back comes off to be applies to the lower portion of the machine for sit-ups. I tried the machine out this past weekend and definitely was the sturdiest out of the chin-up/dip stations. This would be my first major piece of equipment and would really appreciate the feed-back.

Also, comments on whether interlocking pieces are feasible for carpet that's not shaggy, but not the office type. Should a base be applied first or something else?

Thanks again for your time and effort and looking forward to your responses.

-Art
FYI - no garage
A link to the description and a pic of the machine
http://www.hoistfitness.com/products...3&sc=5&pid=343
Old 01-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
David S Keisler

Profile:
Arturo...how much does it cost?.. I down loaded the owners manual & it looks as if putting it togethet could be real buisy... My son in law had a Power tower & really liked it. IF its solid & stable enough for kipping PUs & weighted PUs & dips & the price is right its a functional piece of equiptment.
Check out some simirar ones offered @ newyorkbarbells.com. Also the taller the better so you dont have to bend youn knees for PUs
Old 01-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Arturo Ybarra

Profile:
The machine itself costs approx. $500, also the machine can be assemled at the store for no additional cost.

The stability didn't seem to be an issue, the only problem would be w/kipping and muscle-ups due to the height of my dining room. Although I'm unsure of how it'll work on carpet as opposed to a hard flat surface. Usually every piece of gym equipment I do pull-ups on my feet touch due to me being 6'1" so I bend the knees a bit.

I'll check out the web-site later on tonight. Thanks for the info

-Art
Old 01-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Peter Keller

Profile:
My input-

Looks like a cool power tower... but I bought my (more generic) power tower off craigslist for $20 and it worked fine until I bought my commercial squat cage off craigslist for $75. That said, I have no slant board for sit-ups built in, and you def. could not kip on my power tower.

I guess I am just el cheapo...

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/spo/
Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Arturo,

If $500.00 dollars is your spending point you could probably do better by shopping around. A quick search on Ebay yielded this...

Squat Rack, $275.00 (free shipping)
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Squat-Power-Weight-Rack-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ230078722 380QQihZ013QQcategoryZ15281QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bench w/ situp attachment, $151.00 (free shipping)
http://cgi.ebay.com/FREE-SHIP-PowerLine-Flat-Incline-Decline-Bench-wUpgrd_W0QQit emZ160075994776QQihZ006QQcategoryZ15281QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You could order rings for $72.50 dollars (includes shipping) from www.ringtraining.com, which would cover dips.

Total cost- $498.50 dollars. A little later you could get a weight set to cover even more.

I have the squat rack and bench, and have used them for 6 years. No issues at all. Good luck and keep us informed w/ pics of your new place. I love to see other people's garage gym.

(all links w/f/h safe)

Dan

(Message edited by saluki450 on January 22, 2007)
Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 AM   #6
David S Keisler

Profile:
Arturo...check out newyorkbarbells...you could get an entire power rack & ? free shiping for $500
Old 01-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Arturo Ybarra

Profile:
Hey guys thanks for the advice, I'll probably end up doing the power rack by doing some shopping around. I have plenty of places to choose from, just have to find one that won't top out in my apt. I'll keep y'all posted on my progression, thanks again for the inputs.