CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Garage Heaters

I live in Denver where winters have some single digit or sub-zero days, and other days in the 50s or even 60s. We'll have several good snowfalls through the winter.

I own three electric heaters. A couple I use inside the house for the bedrooms, and they work great.

I have a larger electric heater for the garage gym. It doesn't make the garage *warm* by any definition. It's only enough to take the edge off the biting cold. I wear a hoodie and a wool cap on the coldest days. It's a comfortable work out with all of those factors added up - heater, dressing warm, and moving around to get the blood flowing.

It looks like a gas heater will do better, but you'll have to keep it ventilated. I'm going to look into that myself.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

I use a propane top heater. Its very cheap and warms my two car garage well. Most of the time I have to turn it off it gets so warm.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Cory House

Profile:

I saw this model at Lowes the other day: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr.-Heater...eater/16622306 wfs
When people are saying you need to properly ventilate if you are using a gas heater what exactly do you mean? How would you ventilate with something like the one in the link?
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
Jason A Smith

Profile:

What it means is this. Whenever you burn fuel to make heat you produce some gaseoud by products (fumes) most of these are meant to be ventilated to atmosphere where their concentration will be lower. If you leave the fumes in your space eventually you have too many off gases and not enough oxygen. Not good in general and especially not while exercising.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
Cory House

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
What it means is this. Whenever you burn fuel to make heat you produce some gaseoud by products (fumes) most of these are meant to be ventilated to atmosphere where their concentration will be lower. If you leave the fumes in your space eventually you have too many off gases and not enough oxygen. Not good in general and especially not while exercising.
That part I understand, basically is it not safe to use a heater like the one I posted with a closed garage?
Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #16
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

I've got 800 square feet that I heat 2 times a day for workouts. I use a patio heater and about two bottles of propane a month. The model I use gets us to a balmy 70 in about 15 minutes and doesn't give off much odor. I do have a CO detector plugged in so that people feel more comfortable, but I've never had a a issue. My garage walls are insulated but my doors are not, so I get quite a bit of air leaking. I live in Colorado and the hardest part for me is keeping our bars and handles warm. You can heat the air, but warming iron is a different story. Good luck to you and spend the money upfront so you don't have to go back and start all over. Link is WFS

http://www.lowes.com/pd_597377-59222...&kpid=50162367
Old 11-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #17
Cory House

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Trujillo View Post
I've got 800 square feet that I heat 2 times a day for workouts. I use a patio heater and about two bottles of propane a month. The model I use gets us to a balmy 70 in about 15 minutes and doesn't give off much odor. I do have a CO detector plugged in so that people feel more comfortable, but I've never had a a issue. My garage walls are insulated but my doors are not, so I get quite a bit of air leaking. I live in Colorado and the hardest part for me is keeping our bars and handles warm. You can heat the air, but warming iron is a different story. Good luck to you and spend the money upfront so you don't have to go back and start all over. Link is WFS

http://www.lowes.com/pd_597377-59222...&kpid=50162367
Thank you for sharing Tim.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #18
Kevin A Sawyer

Profile:

I use a vent free gas Wall heater with stands in my 3 car garage. It take about 10 minutes to heat 830 SF with 10ft ceilings. I typically workout in the evenings, when temps here in Colorado can drop into to the single digits, so this was the best choice for me. Here is a photo of the heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_19362.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	13633  
Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I was leery about propane cause of past experience at another place. I decided to give it another go and got this...

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-50...0DG/202895381/

It hasn't been really cold yet but so far am very pleased. That thing knocks the chill of for sure. It can make it too hot. Anyone who has to train in the cold knows it can be tough to get going whilst freezing your butt off. I always like running in the cold, anything else training wise, no thanks.

I put a carbon monoxide sensor in the garage. No beeps so far.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #20
John Burgeson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
I was leery about propane cause of past experience at another place. I decided to give it another go and got this...

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-50...0DG/202895381/

It hasn't been really cold yet but so far am very pleased. That thing knocks the chill of for sure. It can make it too hot. Anyone who has to train in the cold knows it can be tough to get going whilst freezing your butt off. I always like running in the cold, anything else training wise, no thanks.

I put a carbon monoxide sensor in the garage. No beeps so far.
That's the one I got. It works well. Ya it can get too hot lol