CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #121
Tim Squires

Profile:
Re: My garage gym!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Trujillo View Post
I completed the Crossfit Mobility seminar in Denver and I have to say that for the money you can't go wrong. That's the kind of seminar you could take every year and learn something new.

I also completed the USAW level 1 coaches cert this past weekend at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. If you get the opportunity pay extra for room and board. You stay in the dorms and get hang out and discuss fitness, diet, mobility and beer with the best of the best. Watching Olympians eat, warm-up and train is priceless. Especially to garage gym guy like me! The weight room was entirely different, for every luxury the dorms and cafeteria gave you, The grimy old school weight room away took away. I was humbled to use the same bar and chalk that the junior lifters (preparing for the Pan Am games) had just stepped off of. I was in awe at how the old faded bumpers didn't always fit on the bars. The rusty plate holders and chipped and worn out platforms seemed to have been there since the sixties. We need treat our Olympians better, but please God don't ever change a thing. Knowing that you are standing where the greatest stood and lifting in their home was worth the cost of admission. The10 hours of lifting over two days and the coaching you get from the in house Lifters was just the icing on the cake, and the only reason I signed up to begin with.
Seems like the training center just over went some major upgrades? From Jenny Arthur's IG today http://instagram.com/p/mVWDD0Amxl/
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #122
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

That's the Strength and Conditioning side. The weightlifting side is just a bunch of platforms and a few stands and jerk boxes. looks like this:

http://www.crossfitironwill.com/wp-c...Head-coach.jpg WFS
And yes, we got to see Coach Zygmunt!!

more pics:
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightlif...raining-Center
WFS
Old 05-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #123
Darius Boockholdt

Profile:

Great thread Tim! I'm a garage gym guy too and have an "adequate" setup...but mine pales in comparison to yours.

Do you have any updates on your Rx'd GHD now that you've had it a while? Would you still recommend it without reservation?

In the videos I was able to find the only nit I could pick is that while the foot hold is easily adjustable, it seems to have some play side to side (ie - can't lock it down solidly). Any issues with that from a practical standpoint?

It has all the features I'm looking for and the price isn't bad compared to the Rogue and even a bit less than Again Faster.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #124
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

[quote=Darius Boockholdt;1232407]Great thread Tim! I'm a garage gym guy too and have an "adequate" setup...but mine pales in comparison to yours.

Do you have any updates on your Rx'd GHD now that you've had it a while? Would you still recommend it without reservation?

In the videos I was able to find the only nit I could pick is that while the foot hold is easily adjustable, it seems to have some play side to side (ie - can't lock it down solidly). Any issues with that from a practical standpoint?

I would still recommend it without hesitation. Verve Crossfit in Denver (Matt Chan's gym) has a bunch of them. Heavy commercial use showed some wear to the pads, but nothing I would I would say was excessive wear. Mine has held up like champ, it's the old model, they have updated it a couple times since mine, so I know The new ones are even better. It doesn't wobble or move during workouts and it's good and heavy. Costumer service was great as well, I am going to get the 8' Gulliatine from them soon. I may do video reviews of everything soon. Good luck and keep growing your gym!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #125
Darius Boockholdt

Profile:

Thanks for the quick reply Tim. Your gym definitely sets the standard...it's amazing how much stuff you have in that space. I'm going to bookmark your thread and check back to see how things progress.

This isn't an easy question to answer, but it would probably help a ton of people in various stages of building home gyms. I think one of the questions always on the mind of the home gymer is...what's the next piece of equipment? The answer surely varies from one person to the next, but given your extensive gym and experience I'll be people would be interested to hear how you would prioritize you larger items...which pieces you find yourself using the most/least...which pieces are worth spending money to purchase vs make...etc.

Even without all that your posts have been very helpful, so thanks for taking the time.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #126
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

I don't know about my expertise, there was a lot of trial, error and second guessing. To save you time and money, I prioritized safety over need and need over want. I never intended to have this setup and I didn't even do crossfit when I started, but it was easier to get a free tire from the tractor shop than it was to find a peg press I could afford. You flip a tire in your driveway and somebody is going to pull over and ask to try it. You charge him $5 and you got a business, he tells two friends and so on and so on. Brings me back to safety, you can't afford get hurt in your garage, you definatly can't afford to hurt someone else. My first GHD was homeade with an excercise ball in a tire. (Find the pics) it was low to the ground and safe. I wouldn't build a squat rack or jerk boxes, but I built my jump boxes and paralettes. You just have to prioritize and weigh risk vs reward, never go cheap. Never ever go cheap, nothing is worse than reselling junk to some wide eyed kid that's spending his last $40 on your **** barbell. Keep beer in the fridge and keep your neighbors involved, I go out of my way to ensure that they approve of our noise and that they know we are available muscle if they ever need a hand around the yard. Good luck and I hope I didn't bore you to death with Sam Adams fueled rant. (Leg press not peg press)
Old 05-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #127
Darius Boockholdt

Profile:

Good stuff Tim. I was about to ask you what a peg press was
Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #128
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

I added a MarcPro, a car buffer and a SuperNova to my mobility corner recently. The MarPro is amazing, I've had 5 knee surgeries and the quad flush is priceless. I workout in the morning and teach a class in the evening. Following the Outlaw Way means we squat and weightlift a lot. With the MarcPro I flush after my workout while I drink my shake and read the paper. I feel like a million bucks in the evening, it really reduces the soreness and pain I normally get late in the day. The car buffer is the best $35 dollars I have spent in the gym. We buff our IT bands, Lower backs and legs regularly. The guys at the fire house can't live without it now. The Supernova is what it is, a $40 *** kicker. I haven't even scratched the surface with these add ons yet. The price of the MarcPro is offset by me selling the pads to fireman for $10 and to my gym goers for $25. That includes the use of MarcPro.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #129
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

Here some Jerry Cans I picked up at a yard sale for $3 a piece. I have $10 invested total and I think they are pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	13478  
Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #130
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

I also are a set of Type S Jerk Boxes from Legion Athletics this week. Matt at Legion was very professional and was great to talk to. I love the footprint and the build quality is excellent. The size and price really made it a no brainer for me. The 40" height does make it a little difficult for one of our guys that's over 6', but everyone else fits just fine. I will update on durability in a few months, but I don't think we will have any problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	13479