CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Angela M Michalski

Profile:
Anyone attend Dr. McGill's Seminar? Looking for feedback.

I am seriously considering attending Dr. Stuart McGill’s course in Eden Prairie MN upcoming May 2012. Here is the link (safe): http://www.higherpowertraining.com/H..._Dr_McGill.asp

I would be considered a "layperson" as a CrossFit trainer with a Biology degree. I am looking for feedback regarding the course as far as how it is for the layperson.
  1. Have any of you with back injuries (non-chiro, PT, etc) attended the seminar and learned how to rehabilitate your own back?
  2. As a CrossFit trainer, have you been able to put the concepts and skills learned from the course into practice with your own athletes to help rehab or prevent injury?

I previously posted my history and main issue on this board 3/16. I have been unable to resolve lower limb tightness issues, including a (somewhat painful) tight right hamstring. I think after getting injections in L5/S1 and having the issue resolve itself in left hamstring (discomfort with sitting), the bulge may have moved to the right side. Now my muscles are tight, I believe from rest and not being as active as I once was. When I limit activity, I get really stiff, muscles tighten up, and I get low back pain. Yesterday I did a workout with Deadlifts and rKBSs and I feel better than I have in probably a month or so. I am hoping to learn how to loosen these muscles once and for all since I've not found any resolution through my own health practitioners, stretching, chiro adjustments, massage, foam rolling, mobility, etc. Acupuncture seems to be helping, but I'm sure I have issues with the hip flexor/psoas regions that I will address outside of that, considering the acupuncture was applied to the psoas, hip flexors, IT bands, and inside knee and I felt the most relief I felt out of all treatments. I think this was probably my main issue all along and I failed to recognize it until recently.

This is the main issue I am hoping to resolve and I hope I can help athletes and other people with back issues return to health.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
John Powell

Profile:
Re: Anyone attend Dr. McGill's Seminar? Looking for feedback.

Definition of irony- I live 1 hour from Dr McGill's office and I can't get to see him speak because he spends his time down south

In all honesty, the guy knows his stuff. I am 7 months into a back injury and have been using his methods for about 2 1/2 weeks and I have seen more progress since starting than compared to the rest of the things that have been suggested.

Have you read his books?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Angela M Michalski

Profile:

Hi John,
Thank you for the feedback. I just received his book and DVD set a few days ago. I am only on page 33 of Ultimate Back Fitness..., but determined to finish this book soon.

You have read the book? I am wondering also if reading the book is sufficient. His seminar looks fascinating and I really want to go, but the thought of driving 6 hours twice in once weekend doesn't sound appealing since it will "train wreck" me! I can tolerate sitting in general and sitting in a car, but driving (foot to pedal) for whatever reason, seems to aggregate things (not sure why? any thoughts?). I'm trying to convince the family that it might be a nice trip to Mall of America )

What things in particular are working for you?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
John Powell

Profile:

I avoid ANY flexion movements within the first hour of getting up. This includes bending over, putting on pants/socks, sitting etc. I find that this has helped me a lot.

Also understanding the concept of abdominal bracing that doing it everytime I do have to bend over and bend at the hips and not the low back. I think it is important to decipher what your triggers are though. He is really big on magical exercises not being good for everone, and that different people will need different treatment courses.

Once I eliminated the things that were causing the pain, I started to work on improving my endurance in my brace. Curlups, side planks and bird dogs, mostly.

Hope this helps
Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, your muscles get tight for a reason and that reason is usually because they're protecting something that can be injured easily, or there is an imbalance somewhere, or some other reason like that.

So a tight muscle is not always THE issue that you need to look for... it may be covering up something else.

By the way, Release your sub-occipitals and plantar fascia with some massage and see if that helps. That can sometimes help with leg/hip/back issues too aside from what you are doing now

But yeah definitely don't do any lifting that aggravates it.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
Daniel Pope

Profile:

I have both of McGill's books and they are both awesome. I would definitely try and check it out. One thing I really enjoy about McGill is that he's a researcher and rehabs backs and lacks a general condemnation for exercises that are difficult on the spine like some other healthcare professionals(deadlifts, squats). He has spent a large portion of his research on real powerlifters and has information for strongman and powerlifters alike. All really cool stuff.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Megan Zetter

Profile:

McGill is my hero. I'd pay a lot of money to go to one of his seminars.