CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-10-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
what's everyone's opinion out there on cheese?

i personally haven't really eaten cheese in like 6-8 months after reading the paleo diet, but it seems like a lot of you here do.

just wanted some feedback on the pros and cons.

thanks,

scott
Old 06-10-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
Daniel Ramos

Profile:
Allthoug my dermatologist insist it's imposible I persoanaly believe that cheese, milk and I asume all other lactose producs give me acne. Wheat products and peanuts do the same. I am 25 years old and have finaly achieved some measure of control over my acne by changing my diet over the last 18 months (eliminating the above foods). That combined with some other changes helped me shed about 15 pounds of fat also.

Another adverse reaction I get from non paleo foods, in this case white rice (living in Puerto Rico you tend to eat a lot of it), wheat and potatoes, is bloating.

Of course you may not have acne or get bloated, but I just see the acne and gas as an outward sing that my body is not suposed to eat these foods. I have noticed no adverse reaction to any paleo food.

Daniel
Old 06-11-2003, 08:21 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

I know it ain't Paleo, but I can't do without it. I eat cheese (particularly cottage cheese) just about every day.

High protein, high fat, very low carb. Keeps well for a day, even without refrigeration (well, hard cheeses, anyway . . . not cottage cheese) . . . so it travels well.

As long as you don't have lactose problems or other issues specific to milk products (and I recognize that a lot of people do), I'd allow it . . . but YMMV.

Dave
Old 06-11-2003, 11:50 AM   #4
Scott Parker

Profile:
what's "YMMV"

yeah, i just can't do the cottage cheese thing. i think the stuff is just plain nasy and repulsive! any preperation suggestions?

i'm actually not a picky eater at all! just cottage cheese and fois gras (i'm not a snob, just work at a fine dining restaurant!) gross me out!

scott
Old 06-11-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
Mike Minium

Profile:
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Mike
Old 06-13-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Daniel-

Your dermatologist desperately needs toi read Loren Cordain's paper on Acne Vulgaricus as increased insulin levels lead to this and the other syndrome X diseases. Dairy is interesting in that it does not raise blood sugar levels appreciably (low glycemic index) however it does promote a potent insulin response.

In susceptible individuals dairy proteins can promote/exacerbate autoimmune conditions via molecular mimacry and the aformentioned hyperinsulinemia.

Obviously I am not a huge fan of dairy! Bottom line however is how do you feel when you eat it vs when you do not?
Just my $0.02
Robb
Old 06-15-2003, 09:02 PM   #7
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Robb:

Please lay off the dairy slander! I will be forced to send one of my attack-trained Holstein's after you.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:01 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Sorry Patrick!!!! Only positive reviews of dairy literature from here on out!:blush:
Old 06-16-2003, 10:48 AM   #9
Dan

Profile:  
Check out the info on cheese from the "not milk" site... http://www.notmilk.com/deb/071199.html.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:45 PM   #10
Scott Parker

Profile:
so i've been doing the cheese thing for a little less than a week now and have to say no adverse effects yet. i asked my doctor as well, because i have asthma (very well controlled) and when i was a kid was told to avoid dairy. he said that that it not the case and cheese is o.k. he is also aware of my diet and totally (mostly paleo, except for the cheese now) and totally endorses it, and wishes all f his patients ate that way. i had a physical and was told that i was in great shape, and have a very healthy heart as well. he did say that MSG is linked to asthma and to stay away, which i already do.