CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-04-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

Ever since I got into crossfit, I've learned sooooo much and want to thank all of you here for any help and I appreciate helping you out in any way I can (if I ever did:rofl:)

One of these things I learned is how important it is to expose oneself to new things. New activities, new diets, new experiments, and new EXERCISES. The human body is capable of so many different variations of exercise it is unreal. Anything from the kicks of martial arts, to All around Weightlifting, to traditional olympic lifting, and of course the moves of gymnastics. Outstanding.

What I think is important is to apply the exercises which compliment ones sport the most. I, for example snowboard and do trampoline gymnastics.

I truly thank god for leading me to crossfit, and helping me be creative with it as well as participating as much as I physically can. It has taken my snowboarding/trampolining to the next level. I have thought of an exercise that is going boost my performance edge so much that it is frightening.

Has this exercise been thought of or tried already? I have no clue. All I know is that I thought of it, did it, and have never done ANY resistance training exercise more challenging in my entire life. I recommend you ALL give this a try someday if you have not already. I want Dan John especially to try it, and comment if he has not already. I [beg] coach to consider it a candidate for a WOD some time in the near future. It can be done with a dumbell or, better yet, a barbell:

The One Legged Overhead Squat.

Cheers

Roy Taylor
Old 01-04-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Is the arm held aloft on the same side as the working leg, or the other side? (You thought of it, so you get to / have to decide these things . . .):happy:

Dave
Old 01-04-2004, 08:02 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Incidentally, there are going to be spoilsports who will point out that the "Turkish get-up" sort of incorporates this idea already . . . . but it's still a hell of an idea.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
Roy

Profile:

This is..........a bit different from the turkish get up.:happy: What I did was hold two 10 pound dumbells over my head touching together, arms locked, and began the decent with my non lifting leg out straight in front of me. I did one rep each leg(this was after sprints, and a game of raquetball, so I didnt have it ALL) One rep each leg was enough for the time being, plus I was in a hurry.

This is something Im gonna spend some time on, since my total experience with it is what I just stated. I havent planned on doing it with the barbell in a snatch grip just yet, but with that im sure it might have to be offset a tad more toward your lifting side. This is a fun exercise. You should all give it a whirl.

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-07-2004, 12:51 AM   #5
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I just did it with the chair (no dumbells here:-() I'm sat on (3-4kg) although I couldn't extend my arms without going through the ceiling I got a good idea of it. It works the balance (centre of gravity shifts with an unstable weight) and knee joint stabalisation really well. I know of one leg squatting with heavy weights, I heard of one guy, a wrestler from days gone by, who could squat 200lb with one leg. I wonder how that sort of strength would translate into an OH one legged squat.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:44 AM   #6
Daniel Ramos

Profile:
Sorry Roy beat you to it:lame: LOL

If you scroll down the page you'll notice that I posted about this exercisea about 3 weeks ago.

Any how I have been using a regular over head squat grip with a barbell. Are you putting up both hands with that dubell or just one?? The tension levels all over your body are amazing with this thing arent they?:proud:

happy training
Daniel
Old 01-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
Roy

Profile:

These are very difficult. I hold two dumbells overhead and go down *** to heel. I havent tried with a barbell yet. I can barely do it with two 10 pound dumbells. Let us know when you can do bodyweight!!!

Cheers

Roy