CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Wanted to let you guys know that the Paleo/Zone is about to infiltrate the masses (in Tucson, at least).

I've been hired by Better Bodies, a local personal training studio chain, to give one hour presentations on my nutrition approaches (read: Paleo-Zone) for body composition improvement. I spoke/introduced myself to the trainers at two of the three studios today--as you can guess, some of the trainers loved it, others were wary.

Anyway, it will be a twelve-week progression, typically a half-hour of lecture, then a half-hour of questions.

Several of the trainers were happy to have me presenting as people often don't listen to the nutritional advice they give.

Anyway, thought I'd share. The experiment is expanding...
Old 06-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Congrats! Not very surprising Dr, G, as you certainly have a level of knowledge worth paying for.

But to be honest with you, I think its going to be a tough sell.

The majority of your audience shares a worldview that says lifting heavy weights 3-4 days a week, 1-2 hours a day along with supplements, and a protein rich diet are the main keys to building a better body (Believe me I know, I was a former poster-child for the bb community!).

Again, not to take anything away from you (as I think its great your getting the recognition you deserve), I just think most of what you teach will fall on deaf ears. Whatever the case, don't take anything personal if you don't get the response you like. Expect much skepticism.

As for infiltrating the masses, you may want to take a look at this article by my hero, Seth Godin.

"Tom Chappell sells out"
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_b...appell_se.html
Old 06-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Steve,
Thanks for the link.

I emphasized that my nutritional approaches (for their clients, and the trainers if they so desire) are about improving their health and body composition. I made sure to point out that once someone's goal becomes to be "bigger", the health goal has been moved to a lower priority.

I believe I got through to several of them. A couple of really successful fat-loss clients and this should really take off among the other ones, as I'll make it simple (not easy, as we know) for them to know what to eat. The owner of the chain is already sold, he's doing the Paleo thing now, I believe he's already losing bodyfat (he wants to get back to the low bodyfat he had in his wrestling days)

I do understand the selling out thing. Great article. I sold out my profession for two months (painful, wretched months) of my medical career. I won't do it again. However, if for some reason I was to become the "poster physician" for the Paleo-Zone approach and more people were using it, I'd have a hard time with seeing it as a bad thing. Thanks for the brain food.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
Greg Davis

Profile:
GS: Just curious, what do you mean when you say you sold out your profession for two months?
Old 06-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I had some rough financial times (starting a new practice sans any small business loans is tough, and I'd guess that many would say that's an understatement!), so I took a job (with good pay) as a medical director with a corporate aesthetic/cosmetic practice *in a mall*. Let's say that Botox, lasers, and facial fillers were involved.

No one, especially me, was happy for long--I planned from the start on the position being temporary. So, I lasted two months. During that time, helping people on the CF board with what I consider my "real" medicine was one of the things that kept me sane. Some will remember times where I posted many, many times a day. That's the time I was talking about. Every break I was on the board, trying to forget about what I was doing.

A positive benefit of the job was that I gained a ton of injection experience! It's one thing to inject someone. It's another to place the injection properly, both in location and depth. It's yet another to have to do all of those things and then carefully regulate the amount of thick, gel-like filler that comes out so that the patient isn't left with lumpy/bumpy/uneven lips and/or cheeks. I'm very confident with a needle now, which will come in handy in the pain relief/management part of my new practice.

I have no problem pointing the finger at sell-outs in my profession now, as I was once one of them. I do believe that experience was placed in my path as a learning experience of great value and I don't regret it at all.

So, these handouts are what clients will be receiving the first week...

Thanks to Rob Wolf for some small parts I worked in there...
Attached Files
File Type: email BODIES.unk (70.2 KB, 228 views)
Old 06-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
I just printed out your handout and taped it to my wall...daily reminders always help. Good luck on your teaching, Wish i could be in that class.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Glad you liked it, Jeff.

I'll post each handout as I make it, which should be one a week starting in about a week.

So I was doing my last "introduction/philosophy" presentation to one of the three studios' trainers yesterday. Afterwards, two of the guys told me they had been doing CF for two weeks now. They seemed pretty excited. I believe they came to CF after reading my CV and going to the CF Southwest link, which then led them to CF.com . People to work out with! I'm excited! Best thing is, I didn't have to "convert" them...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
Heather L. Gibbons

Profile:
I've been working eight years as one of 70 trainers in one of the countries largest gyms (www.proclub.com for the curious). I managed to isolate myself as the eccentric weirdo for many years with the paleo, zone, CrossFit style which they tend to ignore but often fear. In the last six months, folks have been asking me a lot of questions and some have even started IF with me. Though most of the circulating data would say we're moving towards a more clinical, Prehab model for training, the trainers themselves are getting bored and tired. From what I've seen Garret, you have a far greater presence then me and are certainly far better educated. I suspect trainers are ready to hear what you have to say. It only took me three of those eight years to realize what I was doing wasn't working particularly well and it wasn't helping my clients. Thanks to Robb Wolf for showing me the light 5(?) years ago and thank you Garret for all your help with your posts. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Thanks, Heather! Wow, 5 years...

I was lucky in this situation, the chain owner and his wife have had good treatment results from their naturopathic physicians, so he already knew about my style of medicine. That's in contrast to the trainers, nearly all of whom didn't even know what an NMD/ND was (this is totally common). If the owner didn't know what one was, I doubt this program would be happening. It also helped that he was realizing the BBing-style nutrition just wasn't keeping him as lean as it did in high school. That was my foot in the door.

For right now, I'm trying to stick to the nutrition. I'll let them figure out the CF thing as more of the trainers learn about it from me (by asking) and then demonstrate the positive results with their clients. That will work for some. As we all know, it's not the only way, it sure is an effective one though...

(Message edited by guerilastrength on June 09, 2006)
Old 06-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #10
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Why is shrimp OK and Lobster not ok?