CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
Jim Lark

Profile:
I did a search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I am trying to ween one of my clients off all of his supplementation in favor of real foods. It's a slow road but we're getting there.

He's really into glutamine and has e-mailed me many articles touting the amazing effects of this amino acid. Here's one he e-mailed to me - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/inmag6.htm.

A few questions:
1. Do most people not have enough glutamine and need supplementation?
2. What would the side effects be of too much glutamine?
3. In what volumes is glutamine found in plant and animal protein? As a follow-up, what specific foods contain the highest volumes of glutamine?

Bottom line, is this supplement really necessary for an otherwise healthy male?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I have no idea directly about glutamine. However, the consensus here is generally to get the diet and exercise in order before worrying about supplements. Get 95% of the way there before worrying about that last 5%.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #3

Profile:

1. nope

2. tingly fingers (seriously). might be potential liver toxicity at mega doses, but up to 10g/day seems to be tolerated by just about anyone with no problems. don't take it if you're allergic to MSG, epileptic or bipolar (because of potential conversion to glutamate).

3. mainly in animal proteins. small amounts in spinach and other vegetables.

bottom line: no excepting cases perhaps where significant weight gain is needed, in which case BCAA + glutamine supplementation can help. otherwise, it's a waste of money.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:47 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jim, seems many people put the cart in front of the wagon! We have a pretty simple philosophy here, when everything else is in order, consistently, then you MAY start thinking of supplements. Does he eat clean (and could he lay out his eating plan for you and a rational why he is eating that way, and does his plan make any sense at all?), does he workout consistently (I usually ask if the person is doing the WOD 3/1), does he sleep 8 hours a night, drink enough water, take fish oil, and (my favorite) frigging floss once a day, if not why waste the money on supplements. By the way, bodybuilding magazines make money selling supplements.