CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
For convenience sake, I can remove one of my snacks and incorporate it into one of my meals, making that meal say...6 blocks vs a 4 block meal and a 2 block snack -- and now lowering my total meals to 4 vs 5 without any problems, yes?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
I think 5 blocks is the max/meal. You want to be able to effectively digest all you eat in on sitting.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:36 AM   #3
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Frank,

Honestly, I don't think that this should pose any issue whatsoever. There's magic in adhering to a sound nutritional program consistently, not in a specific number of blocks or meals.

Jeff,

I'm aware that Dr. Sears states that one should not consume more than 5 blocks at once; however, I believe that this is based on fiction rather than fact. Nowhere in the scientific literature is there any evidence that the body can only digest x amount of protein or y amount of calories in one sitting. I don't think you can justify a limit like 5 blocks due to insulin either, as there does not seem to be any evidence demonstrating that the insulin/blood sugar response to what would equal a 7 block meal (in carbs/calories) would be worse to any degree than a 5 block meal.

I think that Sears intentionally placed the upper limit on food intake so people would eat spread out intake evenly into roughly 5 meals per day - another strategy which has failed to show any type of novel merit in studies.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:36 AM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I think it makes sense to combine and eat more blocks in one meal if you are doing some intermittent fasting. For example, if you want to make that 6 block meal your last meal of the day at around 5 or 6pm then wait until the next morning to eat again. You could go around 15 hours without eating which might have some good effects.

Outside the scope of IF, I don't see the benefit of combining meals/blocks.