CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:
B&R or Castro vs Rogue bar for Room gym

Couple of questions:

1. Bare steel has to be oiled weekly with 3 in 1 or maybe WD-40 to stay shiny. How much does this smell? I sleep and watch TV in the same room, really don't like chemical smells.

2. B&R is used at Westside Barbell for rack pulls and is still straight. Does that mean you too can use it for pulls against the advice of using a cheap bent bar for the purpose?

3. B&R has a gap in the sleeve that some people find frustrating. I have tight fitting hole plates, how annoying will it be?

4. Black zinc on Rogue bar is supposed to be "chalky" and a better grip than chrome and bright zinc. But how much worse is it than bare steel?

5. B&R has a bit of QC and shipping complains. I'd like to avoid any returns. Any stats on how frequent they are?

6. My hand is 5 1/2 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger. Should I opt for lowest diameter? How do I tell if it will be a problem?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Nathaniel Lajoie

Profile:
Re: B&R or Castro vs Rogue bar for Room gym

B&R bar is excellent. However, please realize that your sweat will make the bar rust, as I've learned that the hard way. I owned mine for about a year and never oiled it until the past week. Some of the rust got embedded where the bar makes contact with my back, and was a little tough to get out. I never used the bar except for in the garage. I don't like rust on my things, so I'm going to be oiling it weekly from now on. The grip on the B&R is the best I've ever felt. I don't think many bars match the feel of a bare-steel bar. If you don't want to do too much maintenance and want a center knurl , I'd get the Rogue Power Bar. I've heard nothing but great things about Rogue bars. The oil can be a little of a pain, so you'd have to make sure you wear a shirt that's not meant for anything but working out. Also, make you'd have to make sure to wipe the bar clean before using it after oiling it. The smell doesn't bother me at all using 3 in 1 oil. Overall, to me, bare steel feels the best in my hands, and the knurling feels better.

Last edited by Nathaniel Lajoie; 07-09-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Nathaniel Lajoie

Profile:

Also, for the B&R bar you won't have to worry about rust indoors, except for if you get sweat or water on the bar. Again, just hit it up every week, month, or whatever you think is good, and you will be fine. Like I said above, I didn't oil mine for a whole year, and although I had some rust on mine in certain spots, it wasn't bad enough that it couldn't be fixed.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Lajoie View Post
The oil can be a little of a pain, so you'd have to make sure you wear a shirt that's not meant for anything but working out. Also, make you'd have to make sure to wipe the bar clean before using it after oiling it. The smell doesn't bother me at all using 3 in 1 oil. Overall, to me, bare steel feels the best in my hands, and the knurling feels better.
Oh, so oil would get all over your clothes and plates if you miss a spot in pre-workout wipe down?

I would get sweat on the bar, from hands and back.

I don't care much for center knurl, can tape it either way. I want to have a nice grip though but maybe black zinc is nice enough.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Nathaniel Lajoie

Profile:

Oil shouldn't be a problem if you wipe it clean. There's nothing wrong with the B&R. The bar is outstanding. The difference between a bare-steel and a plated bar is that the bare bar will require a little more maintenance. If you're doing cross fit and don't care about center knurl, you can go with the Rogue bar. I do mostly powerlift training, so I wanted a good center knurl for squatting.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:

Well I mean, I can tape a knurled center if I don't like it or a smooth center if I want some friction. Center knurl is comparably light, right?

People don't seem to praise black zinc over bright zinc for feel like they do with bare steel. Hard to know what I'll be missing.

What about the sleeve, do you fit any tight fitting plates on it? Do you have mostly "standard barbell" type of iron?

Last edited by Vilan Natanzon; 07-09-2012 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: errors
Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Vilan Natanzon

Profile:

From http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=146364593

Quote:
If you oil or WD-40 weekly, in your small area, the smell will be prevalent. My guns all have the well oiled smell where I store them, I personally like the smell, but I'm also not living in th area. You have had previous problems with CAP plate stench, so I would have to believe a raw bar bar should not be in your future as long as you don't have a dedicated lifting area.
I did have an adventure with weight plates http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=144641571 I wiped those down with soaps, alcohol, degreasers and couldn't stop the smell, so it was probably the paint, not any protective grease.

Either way can't have any prevalent smells. If I wipe down even monthly there will still be too much smell for a week. And that would force my choice to a rust protecting coat.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Mike Moris

Profile:

What about some odor absorbing cardboard?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Adam Wathan

Profile:

I have a B&R and Rogue Bar. The bare steel on the B&R feels great but the black zinc + Rogue knurl pattern on the Rogue Bar is awesome as well. I think I personally prefer the knurl on the Rogue Bar because it's a little more aggressive.

As far as QC and shipping concerns about the B&R, I also had these concerns after what I had read online and bit the bullet anyways. Unfortunately I landed a bad bar and have to exchange mine as well because of QC issues. It seems to be a pretty common issue if you are at all picky about receiving a nice bar. It's a York problem though, the Rogue-built stuff seems to always show up consistently great.

The difference between the Rogue Bar and B&R diameter is only half a millimeter, I wouldn't let that even factor in to your decision to be honest. If you ever wanted to do a powerlifting competition, you would have to use a 29mm bar anyways (at least in the IPF) so the B&R bar diamater is not large by any means, it's actually the international powerlifting standard.

Last edited by Adam Wathan; 07-09-2012 at 08:03 PM..